VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip streaming video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've looked everywhere and I can't see anyone saying that it sharpens. Could anyone confirm this? If it sharpens, what percentage does it sharpen by?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    I've looked everywhere and I can't see anyone saying that it sharpens. Could anyone confirm this? If it sharpens, what percentage does it sharpen by?

Yes it does contrasharpen (it's to combat the denoising). It's not a % sharpen . The settings are in the documentation. Default value is 1.0
    Quote Quote  
  3. I usually do McTemporalDenoise with the default of 150% sharpen then I use QTGMC after it. I can't use it before otherwise it drops the encoding speed to a crawl. So I was just wondering if QTGMC eradicates the sharpening done by McTemporalDenoise or if QTGMC sharpens itself. I searched for "contra" in the avsi file but found nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The switch is "sharpness"

QTGMC(sharpness="x")

where x is the value . 1.0 is default (IMO it's too high), some decimal value would be lower e.g. 0.5

So I was just wondering if QTGMC eradicates the sharpening done by McTemporalDenoise or if QTGMC sharpens itself.
    It doesn't eradicate it, but QTGMC denoises and antialiases, that will reduce the perceived "sharpness" of the input video - hence the reason for "contra sharpening" . If you left sharpness=0 to disable it, you will see the video will become much softer
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    I usually do McTemporalDenoise with the default of 150% sharpen then I use QTGMC after it. I can't use it before otherwise it drops the encoding speed to a crawl.
    So is initial video video interlaced? Then MCTD needs to be used with the interlaced=true switch , unless preceded by QTGMC (or other deinterlacer) . Unless you are using QTGMC for progressive modes ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks I know how to use it, I was just asking if it sharpens or not.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks I know how to use it, I was just asking if it sharpens or not.
    Depending on you other settings, QTGMC does sharpen. see the content of the QTGMC script (and the QTGMC documentation, which should come with the script as a QTGMC.html file) and how "Sharpness" influences other settings and is influenced by other settings.
    Quote Quote