VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to find a codec for opening an MP4 in VirtualDub. I followed the threaad below but with no luck for solving my situation.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/230999-Where-to-get-the-AVC1-codec-to-play-mp4-videos

From GSpot I have a screenshot which can be viewed from http://dwlamb.com/misc/gspot.jpg. The codec indicates avc1 Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. From ffdshow, it indicates I have that codec enabled http://dwlamb.com/misc/ffdshow.jpg yet I can not open this MP4 in VirutalDub.

Can anyone offer input?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gspot.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	15368  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ffdshow.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	15369  

Quote Quote  
  2. You need a VFW h.264 decoder. Try ffdshow, enable the VFW h.264 decoder. Or use the DirectShow input driver for VirtualDub and a DirectShow h.264 decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hope you stay in Europe

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestion. It was most helpful. I chose to install the DirectShow input driver as I could not further enable ffdshow for a VFW h.264 decoder.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You need a VFW h.264 decoder. Try ffdshow, enable the VFW h.264 decoder. Or use the DirectShow input driver for VirtualDub and a DirectShow h.264 decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you sure you enabled the ffdshow VFW h.264 decoder? It's just that your screenshot is for the DirectShow Decoder Configuration. Chances are it's enabled by default, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    I'm not even 100% sure the VFW Decoder is installed by ffdshow by default (I don't install it often enough to remember) but if it's there it uses a different shortcut to open it.

If you're just converting the whole thing from start to finish, DirectShow is fine for decoding, but if you're wanting to do much editing, it can be a pain as it's slow and not frame accurate. Even for opening video the way you're doing it, I prefer to use ffmsindex if I'm going to do any editing. With ffmsindex and AVIsynth installed it's just a matter of creating a basic AVIsynth script to open the video using ffmsindex. The first time you open the script using VirtualDub, there'll be a pause while ffms indexes the video (probably about a minute for a movie, depending on hard drive speed). Once it's created the index file the video will open in VirtualDub just as it does using DirectShow, only you'll be able to navigate through the video more easily and it's frame accurate. If you're interested in trying it, post back if you need instructions. Once you know how to do it, it's very easy.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 25th Dec 2012 at 02:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dwlamb01 View Post
    Hope you stay in Europe

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-%28AUP%29
    Warez rules
    What is warez? Obtained IP (intellectual property: software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that either explicitly or implied breaks the copyright or license for that IP.

Do NOT give warez / Do NOT link to warez
    Distributing warez. This includes linking to warez either directly or to crack or serial sites. Offering warez in any fashion including PM or e-mail is against forum policy.

Do NOT ask for warez
    Asking for warez. In any fashion this is unacceptable including but not limited to PM or e-mail requests or information on what p-2-p network has copies.

Do NOT provide information on how to obtain warez
    Providing information on how to obtain warez.

Do NOT advocate warez
    Advocate warez. Recommending the use of warez.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-%28AUP%29
    Warez rules
    Do NOT give warez / Do NOT link to warez
    Do NOT ask for warez
    Do NOT provide information on how to obtain warez
    Do NOT advocate warez
    He did none of those things.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I'm not even 100% sure the VFW Decoder is installed by ffdshow by default (I don't install it often enough to remember) but if it's there it uses a different shortcut to open it.
    Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration -> Decoder (tab) -> Codecs (left pane) -> h.264/AVC -> libavcodec (right pane).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The screen shot of VFW Decoder I showed in the original post is the result of the steps you outlined. H.264/AVC is enabled with the libavcodec, yet I can not open some MP4's. Opening through DirectShow plug-in, I can decode any MP4's.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration -> Decoder (tab) -> Codecs (left pane) -> h.264/AVC -> libavcodec (right pane).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dwlamb01 View Post
    The screen shot of VFW Decoder I showed in the original post is the result of the steps you outlined.
    No it's not. It's the DirectShow decoder configuration dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yeah there's definitely a separate start menu shortcut. There's one for the Video Decoder Configuration and another for the VFW Configuration.
    I have a vague feeling the VFW decoder is optional when you install ffdshow, so maybe you didn't install it.

Note the different colour icon for the VFW decoder. It also has Decoder and Encoder tabs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.gif
Views:	506
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	15413
    Quote Quote  
  12. And the second item in the left hand pane isn't "DirectShow Control".

VFW (Video for Windows) and DirectShow are different video subsystems in Windows. Generally codecs for one are not available to the other. Old editors typically use VFW (now deprecated by Microsoft). Media players typically use DirectShow.
    Quote Quote