VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My family and I are looking for a device that will remove scratches from DVDs and buff them out. We've seen them in use at video rental places, but we have no clue what they are called or even where to begin looking for one. Also how to tell a good model from a bad one. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. damn people are rich at videohelp that's good to know
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    The commercial machines used by libraries and video rental stores are expensive. This place makes them http://www.discchek.com/index.html They don't list prices, but I saw an ad from a service which claimed the model they bought from the company above cost them $5000.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Apparently brasso does the job nicely.
    http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2007/06/11/how-to-remove-scratches-from-cds-and-dvds/
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Re-surfacing-CDs-so-they-work-again./

When cleaning DVDs, the general consensus is to wipe the CD / DVD from the inside to outside in case it scratches the disc (you don't want new scratches following the "tracks" on the disc). Because brasso works more like a disc cleaner and resurfaces the disc, I think you need to use circular motions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a skip doctor (the powered one). It works, but you have to keep an eye on the abrasive wheel.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    LMAO!!!

That has to be one of the biggest POS ever sold!!

@ the OP.
    The one's used at video rental stores are going to be huge $$$$

The one they use at my local Family video is the size of a 10 gallon aquarium and is NOT a cheap piece of equipment you can just pick up at best buy!!

If you think you need to spend $1000.00+ for a disc resurfacer like the ones they use at video rental stores, you have much more serious problems, like learning how to take care of optical media or teaching/keeping your kids hands off them!!!

I have original pressed music CD's that are 22+ years old, have been listened to 1000+ times and still look like they just came out of a sealed case!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use tooth paste and a micro fiber cloth. Works well and the disks are minty fresh when done!

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post

That has to be one of the biggest POS ever sold!!
    I don't know. Some of the comments said it worked well for them and the only thing they complained about was all the cranking. So get a powered one.

If you think you need to spend $1000.00+ for a disc resurfacer like the ones they use at video rental stores...
    That's simply not true. Not universally, anyway. A few years back I had a few CDs that got stuck while playing. I took them into the local Gamestop. They had a little electric cheapo. Called Disc Doctor or something like that. The guy ran my CDs through it and when done they looked like someone had run sandpaper over them. Which is pretty much what the little machine did, I think. And it fixed both CDs. Of course, deep gouges can't be fixed, but seeing what that little machine did made a believer out of me.

I don't have that one to which I linked, but when searching for the less expensive ones which I know are out there, I came across that one and read the comments before linking to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you have a stack of them, just polishing them by hand with Brasso achieves the same end.

Rub in small circles, not big ones following the tracks. Wash clean in dishwashing detergent, rinse, pat dry.
    Quote Quote