VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I need your help to rip dvds. I'm gonna use handbrake to do this stuff.

I need best presets to use x264. And I need advanced guide as well. mp4 or mkv which is better?

And final question, what makes handbrake slow, I mean presets make handbrak slow or it depends with cpu.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You are ripping with dvdfab decrypter, anydvd, etc and you are converting with handbrake.

But start read GUIDES, https://www.videohelp.com/tools/HandBrake#guides and the manual https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide

The MP4/M4V container is better if you want the video to work on more portable devices like iphone, ipad, android, xbox360, ps3, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You are ripping with dvdfab decrypter, anydvd, etc and you are converting with handbrake.

But start read GUIDES, https://www.videohelp.com/tools/HandBrake#guides and the manual https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide

The MP4/M4V container is better if you want the video to work on more portable devices like iphone, ipad, android, xbox360, ps3, etc.

Thanks for replying bro. What about mkv format. And I have a doubt, I changed some settings in the handbrake's advanced menu when I was trying to rip a dvd. It showed me 11hrs remaining to work done. but after I reset all settings to defuilt It took just 3hrs to complete. what do say to this time change?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kaavalan View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

Thanks for replying bro. What about mkv format. And I have a doubt, I changed some settings in the handbrake's advanced menu when I was trying to rip a dvd. It showed me 11hrs remaining to work done. but after I reset all settings to defuilt It took just 3hrs to complete. what do say to this time change?
    I don't know about you but I just bought an i7 Laptop from BestBuy and I'm encoding most of my DVDs using HandBrake @ 100fps. It takes roughly 30-40 minutes for each DVD to be converted. If you want, you can just buy an i7 Laptop then return it within 14 days after your finished doing all your encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Joshray View Post
    If you want, you can just buy an i7 Laptop then return it within 14 days after your finished doing all your encoding.
    And then when you grow up and are ready to buy a computer, you can rest easy in the knowledge that you are paying extra for every other dick that's using this stunt.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by Joshray View Post
    If you want, you can just buy an i7 Laptop then return it within 14 days after your finished doing all your encoding.
    And then when you grow up and are ready to buy a computer, you can rest easy in the knowledge that you are paying extra for every other dick that's using this stunt.
    I'm sure if they have enough people doing this, they would make changes to their return policy rather than increase their product prices. "We’ll beat any price you find online, in-store, or in print by 10% of the difference". I know it's unethical but desperate times call for desperate measures.
    Last edited by Joshray; 19th Dec 2012 at 13:24.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ever paid "restocking fees" on incorrect items?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Ever paid "restocking fees" on incorrect items?
    Nope. I only buy from big box stores like BestBuy and FutureShop. They don't charge restocking fees.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The OP already has an i7.

I need best presets to use x264.
    There is no best preset. It depends on your needs. What devices you want to play the video on. What size you need the resulting file to be. How long you are willing to take. What type of video you are encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... I changed some settings in the handbrake's advanced menu when I was trying to rip a dvd. It showed me 11hrs remaining to work done. but after I reset all settings to defuilt It took just 3hrs to complete. what do say to this time change?
    11 hours? Your profile says you have an i7? Did you just max out everything? I've never taken longer than half that to encode a dvd with handbrake, and i was definitely using advanced settings. I'm definitely not one of the real experts here but I know what they were.

What to say to that time change? The quality would have been much worse, especially with the default profile. It's only suitable for watching on a mobile.

Noobs are always looking for magic software. It doesn't exist. The way to get faster encoding is a faster computer. Though you say you have an i7.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    ... I changed some settings in the handbrake's advanced menu when I was trying to rip a dvd. It showed me 11hrs remaining to work done. but after I reset all settings to defuilt It took just 3hrs to complete. what do say to this time change?
    11 hours? Your profile says you have an i7? Did you just max out everything? I've never taken longer than half that to encode a dvd with handbrake, and i was definitely using advanced settings. I'm definitely not one of the real experts here but I know what they were.

What to say to that time change? The quality would have been much worse, especially with the default profile. It's only suitable for watching on a mobile.

Noobs are always looking for magic software. It doesn't exist. The way to get faster encoding is a faster computer. Though you say you have an i7.
    I guess it could also depend on his processor speed? Mines is 2.1Ghz with 3.4Ghz max @ turbo boost.
    Quote Quote