VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two identical videos, one in HD and one in SD, and I want to use the HD version but it has a hideous website watermark. Is there any way I could merge the two videos on Sony Vegas Pro and swap the area where the watermark is? I tried using Virtualdub but it doesn't work on Win7.

SD

HD

Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, you can do in vegas with a mask if the videos have exactly the same frames

The basic procedure would be to put the SD video on the top track, HD on the bottom track . Draw a mask (a box) using the event/pan crop tool around the text on the SD layer that you want to cover up corresponding on the HD track . You can think of it as a small box on the SD video "covering up" that section on the HD video

Vegas isn't that great at upscaling, you might want to read about avisynth upscaling techniques for better results and less jaggies/aliasing (but there is a bit of a learning curve) . You can use the the same technique or similar methods using masks or mattes entirely in avisynth or other editors as well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VirtualDub works just fine in Win7. AviSynth script:

src=ImageSource("hd1.jpg")
    ovr=ImageSource("image.jpg").Crop(1344,988,570,78)
    Overlay(src, ovr, 1344, 984)

Replace ImageSource() with the appropriate source filters for your videos. You'll probably need to fine tune it to get the position exact. You may also need to adjust colors, brightness, etc. and use an alpha mask to feather the edges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ovr.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	14994
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Dec 2012 at 12:45.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found out that the frames don't quite match (the HD version is a little sped up) so I didn't get a very good result in Vegas. I tried adjusting the two videos to match as close as possible but it still didn't work.

I also tried AviSynth and got a ton of script errors. Guess I'll just stick to blurring the watermark out
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So they're "identical" but different? :0

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They have the same content but the HD version has a faster playback rate so covering up the watermark is impossible.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by blackpanther View Post
    They have the same content but the HD version has a faster playback rate so covering up the watermark is impossible.
    Hardly. Slow down one or speed up the other so the framerates match. If the number of frames for the two is identical (or can be made identical with Trim statements), it should be a simple matter when using AviSynth.
    Last edited by manono; 5th Dec 2012 at 07:49.
    Quote Quote  
  8. No doubt they're different cuts too. Different ad breaks, etc. It's still possible to fix, just a lot more work.
    Quote Quote