VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought a Happauge HD PVR2 gaming edition. I intend to use it to transfer old home movies from vhs to the pc in HD. I also have a VCR with an HDMI port, which works when I plug it straight into my tv. I've been playing around now for a few hours, and can only get the video to output to my computer when I select component, which would be fine, but the resolution is only 480p instead of 1080p. The light on the unit turns yellow when I switch to capture mode, which indicates its detecting a signal and is ready to record, but all I see is a black screen, and captures also come out as black.
    I also tried removing the program and drivers, and reinstalling, to no avail.

I am using windows 7 x64 and my computer is more than powerful enough. Does anyone have a solution?
    Quote Quote  
  2. VHS is very poor 480i so there's no point in capturing at a higher resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I knew someone was going to say that.
    I don't care, I'm not thinking about the now, I'm looking towards the future. Who knows, maybe in 20 years the technology could come around to the point where it will make a difference. Its upscaling, I know the data that it comes up with in order to upscale is faked and guessed, but maybe one day.

In any case, I did try both the component and hdmi outputs straight to my tv, and the hdmi output flat out looked better. So that's why I want to capture in 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Players that upscale apply always HDCP to upscaled HDMI outputs. You won't be able to capture that without an HDCP stripper.

Also, your VHS is interlaced video. You would have to capture at 1080p60 to keep all the temporal resolution (smooth motion). You card can't do that. You would have to go with 1080i30 (60 fields per second) just like the VHS tape.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Dec 2012 at 18:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. WEll I wasn't sure before that my vcr applied vcr.
    The vcr outputs progressive scan through the hdmi, and the box can capture 1080p30
    Quote Quote  
  6. okay well I tried to route the signal from the vcr, to my home media receiver, and then from its output to the hauppage. The video flickered on for about a second, which it didnt do straight into the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your receiver will apply HDCP to any HDMI output from any HDCP protected HDMI input. All you're seeing is a slight variation in HDCP handshaking. The whole point of HDMI was to sneak HDCP into all consumer electronics.
    Quote Quote  
  8. yea, okay well then I can see there's no real way around the stupid HDCP, so I'm just gonna use component. I just need to find out what resolution my vcr will output component signals in, because my capture box is only saying 480, but maybe if I also go through the receiver I can get an upscaled image with a marginal increase in picture quality :P
    Quote Quote  
  9. There are ways around HDCP but they may be illegal (depending on which country you're in) and can be expensive.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers
    Quote Quote  
  10. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    I own now since about nine months the Hauppauge's HDPVR 2 Gaming Edition driving my Shaw Direct's signal from its DVR box with success after got Hauppauge's HDPVR for more a year doing with the same success the same job! Unfortunately, the first HDPVR has been broken by a power outage, power fluctuation or thunder! The HDPVR 2 works truly great with all HD (HDMI or HD cables) devices available plus a cool box DEL ring indicator! Now, I experience a problem with my ION VCR 2 PC system that makes impossible to use it to transfer a guy's job to DVD or CD!... I know that a conventional VCR cannot deliver HD and has only mono signal with image (yellow and white connectors)! I want to know if a dedicated technique to adapt a conventional VCR audio-video (stereo or mono) signal to the Hauppauge's HDPVR 2 Gaming Edition exists in order to record it to computer as I do from the Shaw Direct's HD signal from its DVR box to evenly replace the faulty ION's VCR 2 PC system do do finally the the guy's VHS christmas video transfer job to DVD with success!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Threadjack, resurrection, and semi-double post all in one. Nice.

http://store.hauppauge.com/accessories2.asp?product=av_cable_set

But my suggestion in your other thread would be better since you don't have to re-encode from H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  12. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your precious help, the Diamond and that AV Hauppauge cable set!

LHUPA
    Quote Quote  
  13. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just got this morning a new HD Shaw Direct Satellite TV receiver (so called "Essential" Motorola DSRHD 600) and me and the Shaw Direct's technician we had tried tu use the HDMI port instead the composite RCA cables (as I had always used until today) between the HDMI output of the receiver and the Hauppauge!'s HD PVR Gaming Edition device at the HDMI input of it and we got absolutely no video signal nor sound at all except if we unplug the USB cable about 30 secs. and replug it after! Then, we got about two seconds of video signal and then go away and stills black despite the HDMI 16-9 screen pattern appears! What is this? How I can through HDMI port get quality HD signal using the HDMI cable (supplied with the receiver) between the HDMI output of the HD receiver and the HDMI input of the Hauppauges!'s HD PVR Gaming Edition device? I count on you to solve my problem!

Thanks again!

LHUPA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just recently bought one of these, very curious to see what happens. I have yet to hook mine up. Going to do that, this weekend.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by LHUPA View Post
    I'm just got this morning a new HD Shaw Direct Satellite TV receiver... Hauppauge!'s HD PVR Gaming Edition device at the HDMI input of it and we got absolutely no video signal
    Sounds like HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  16. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    What to do with that copy protection?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by LHUPA View Post
    What to do with that copy protection?
    You need a device that removes HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  18. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    I presume that's a software? or another "box"?
    Quote Quote  
  19. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    If we use such material whatever a software or electronic box device, we infringe the related copyright law and by consequent, it will be detectable by the satellite TV service provider i-e "Shaw Direct"?
    Quote Quote  
  20. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    Now, since about 48 hours, I got the sound and it stills on in very good quality but no video!...
    Quote Quote  
  21. An HDCP stripper is a hardware device. It is not detectable by the cable company or satellite company. It's generally not legal to sell such devices so the "feature" isn't advertized. You just have to find out from others which devices strip HDCP. This thread has some examples:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers
    Quote Quote  
  22. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    Capitalistic shit!... Thank you very much for your precious help! So I will seek for that other box! If I can!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  23. LHUPATECH
    Search Comp PM
    So, I had used the composite signal and removed the HDMI cable! Then, I got good quality sound but very poor and blury image! WHAT A SHIT!!!!!
    Quote Quote