VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, I have a diamond one touch vc500, and a new laptop with windows 8.

1. the drivers won't install when I click on it.

2. When it said "New hardware device" I didn't click on cancel.

If anyone can help me figure out my 2 problems it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

Now. NEVER head a topic with the words "I need help" . You MUST be more descriptive with your topic title so ammend to something like "Cannot install diamond vc500 with Windows 8"

Assuming that the drivers you have are compatable with Windows 8 you need to look at your installation instructions for precisely how the product is installed. Sometimes you run a installer first(before plugging in the unit) for the drivers and then reboot before plugging in the unit. The new hardware then locates the drivers. But this can vary from unit to unit. There is no hard 'n fast rule.

And what do you mean by "when I click on it" ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I guess this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

Now. NEVER head a topic with the words "I need help" . You MUST be more descriptive with your topic title so ammend to something like "Cannot install diamond vc500 with Windows 8"

Assuming that the drivers you have are compatable with Windows 8 you need to look at your installation instructions for precisely how the product is installed. Sometimes you run a installer first(before plugging in the unit) for the drivers and then reboot before plugging in the unit. The new hardware then locates the drivers. But this can vary from unit to unit. There is no hard 'n fast rule.

And what do you mean by "when I click on it" ?
    I mean, when the page with the install drivers, install software, show biz, manual, exit is where I'm clicking on install drivers.

and how can I redo everything that I did wrong, like clicking on the hardware instead of cancel when I plugged it into my usb port. I don't have any points where I can put my computer back to a certain date, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said, there is a sequence you must follow. It could go as:

1. (with unit unplugged) 'Install Drivers'
    2. Reboot
    3. Plug in unit
    4. Find hardware and load drivers
    5. Only then - install sofware.

Without the drivers, there is no point in installing the sofware.

Was the unit plugged in when you attempted to install the drivers from the CD ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think it was plugged into my laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    LondonM-in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Did you R T F M? Sounds like NOT.

Almost always, USB devices REQUIRE the installation of drivers BEFORE physically connecting the device. This is usually CLEARLY spelled out not just in the manual, but in the one-page blurb designed for those that won't Read The Freaking Manual.

Physically remove the device. Delete the hardware, re-boot, run a registry clean with CCleaner. RE-boot again. Then try to install the drivers BEFORE plugging in the device.

In extreme cases, you may have to un=install the USB hardware on the PC, re-boot, re-install USB drivers, re-boot, then attempt the proper method for installing USB hardware.

It is much easier to do it the recommended way in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Did you R T F M? Sounds like NOT.

Almost always, USB devices REQUIRE the installation of drivers BEFORE physically connecting the device. This is usually CLEARLY spelled out not just in the manual, but in the one-page blurb designed for those that won't Read The Freaking Manual.

Physically remove the device. Delete the hardware, re-boot, run a registry clean with CCleaner. RE-boot again. Then try to install the drivers BEFORE plugging in the device.

In extreme cases, you may have to un=install the USB hardware on the PC, re-boot, re-install USB drivers, re-boot, then attempt the proper method for installing USB hardware.

It is much easier to do it the recommended way in the first place.

I lost the manual, but I found an online one. I had the same software on my old laptop, but the screen died and I had to buy a new one.

I'm not very good with computers, could you please put that in laymans terms?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I thought I did.

I will assume you can understand what "physically remove the device" means - DIS-CONNECT it from the PC.

Go to Control Panel, Device Manager, and make sure the hardware no longer appears.

Go to Add/Remove programs, make sure all software related to the device is un-installed. Everything with the same brand name for a start, but there are exceptions and/or additions to this which would be too lengthy to get into here.

Re-Boot.

Then, insert the CD and install the drivers. AFTER THAT IS DONE, either the software will prompt you to insert the USB device, or to re-boot, AFTER THAT, insert the USB device.

Never mind the rest, if this part confused you, you are not prepared to do the more complex steps.

Essentially, before inserting ANY new USB device, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, install the software FIRST.
    Last edited by Nelson37; 4th Dec 2012 at 06:34.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    LondonM,
    The users manual and driver installation screens specifcally says the VC500 should be connected to the PC PRIOR to installing the drivers. That said, the driver does not work with Windows 8 connected or not. I have been fighting this problem for several weeks. At first the drivers will not install. I have tried Windows 7, Vista, and XP drivers. None have worked properly. I have revceived Codes 28 and 43 in the device manager. Once I was able to get a driver installed but received a code 1 stating the device could not be started. I went through multiple steps to resolve this, none successfully. Most recently, if you go to c:\Program Files(x86)\Diamond (I think that's correct) you should see an installation folder. If you run the setup in that folder, windows will report back it found the driver but it cannot run on Windows 8. I ran this both unmodified and then using several compatibility settings.
    I have contacted Diamond for help with this issue. They have been offering sonme suggestions but nothing has worked yet. They say the Windows 7 driver should work but it does not. I am hopeful they will continue to help find a solution because normally their support isn't the best in the neighborhood. I am somewhat encouraged that at least they are responding.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you ctopkis. Your post and information was much more helpful than the prior posts. I too am having trouble with getting VC500 onto my new computer with Windows 8. If you hear back from the VC500 folks, please post their response.

Thanks for being helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I wish I had better news but unfortunately Diamond must have put this in the "too hard to solve" category or "we'll get to it one day" category. All of the sudden they just stopped answering. Nevertheless, I will be persistent and let you know if I get anything position from them. Thanks for the post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From a review comment:

"But you'll need to read the 'Quick Start Guide' before you plug it in, because if it's set up wrong there could be problems and undoing them could be tricky."

I think the important word here is 'BEFORE'. That appears to contradict previous comments.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    The Diamond site has a document to follow for using Windows 8. I needed to change the steps a little bit, but it seems to have worked. Here is the link...
    http://www.dmmdownload.com/downloads/CURRENT/PVR/Diamond%20VC500CXT%20Windows%208%20Wa...20Response.txt

On step #3 it didn't exactly work, I needed to go one directory deeper (/devices/x64) and then select setup.exe. I have a 64 bit windows 8. Other than that, the directions worked and the VC500 is working.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,
    DECNAL has got the right idea. I just received a reply from Diamond. Here's what they said: "Regarding your issue, on the back of our blackphysical device, what is the part number, located above the bar code, on thesticker? If it says, “VC500” then that device has no drivers for itunfortunately to run on Windows 8. The version of our device that does havedrivers for Windows 8 would say on the back of our physical black device, abovethe bar code, “VC500CXT” on the sticker." Unfortunately, my model is a plain VC500; not the CXT. I asked Diamond if they planned to release drivers for my model. I'll post the reply when I get it. In the meantime, I may try the instructions posted by DECNAL. Don't see what I have to lose.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Final Update...Received an update from Diamond. Not good news: "
    Unfortunately, that device doesnot have drivers for Windows 8 and since it has been discontinued, there are noplans to release drivers for our old VC500 to use with Windows 8. You will needto get the VC500CXT version of our device in order to use that with Windows 8.
    Sorry all, we tried
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Diamond Multimedia One-Touch Video Capture VC500 device (not the CXT), and all I did was plug the device into the USB port on my Windows 8 machine, and Microsoft installed the necessary drivers. I did not even need the installation CD. There is standalone utility program on the CD that I installed later, but that didn't work, even in compatibility mode. To capture with the device, I use one of the video editing applications such as PowerDirector.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    LastChance, I don't know what to say other than "feel fortunate". I have tried that several times but I will now go back and try it again. I know I did a clean windows 8 install. If I remember correctly, I had the VC500 plugged in but windows could not find a driver. It would be great to get this working.
    Quote Quote  
  19. For what it's worth at this point, when I updated to a Windows 8 system I had trouble getting my VC500 working. I thought I had a VC500 since that is what it is labeled on the front of the device and I was dismayed here to see that apparently it is not supported on Windows 8. However, the sticker on the back says VC500CXT.

So I went to this link for the VC500CXT that was referred to above: http://www.dmmdownload.com/downloads/CURRENT/PVR/Diamond%20VC500CXT%20Windows%208%20Wa...20Response.txt

Steps 1, 2 and 3 went fine and I could see in Device Manager under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" that I had the "USB2.0 Video Capture Device" and "USB2.0 Audio Capture Device" items described in step 3.

However, when I moved on to install the EzGrabber software application I got an error message: "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine." After closing the message EzGrabber did apparently finish installing. But, since I had seen someone's comment above that the VC500 would work with any video editing program after the driver was installed I decided to try it with my AVS Video Editor. Its video capture function (AVS Video Recorder) works perfectly with the VC500 it turns out. So I uninstalled EzGrabber and, since I have a VC500CXT, I am a happy camper with it on my Windows 8 system and using AVS Video Recorder for my video capture software.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I should have reported in above post that I did download the drivers from the Diamond website link below rather than use the drivers that came with the VC500.

http://www.diamondmm.com/vc500-diamond-one-touch-video-capture-edit-stream.html
    Quote Quote