VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

First, I'm not quite sure if this topic belongs to this section, please move it to the correct one if so.

I've been user my old HyperCam2 software to record from the desktop with no problems whatsoever. The problem came last week when I recorded my old friends which were playing a concert at their home as a birthday present for me, through skype. I set up my hypercam to record two sections. The area was big, I recorded at 25 fps and using a MJPEG codec. The computer can handle it, and it has produced good quality videos with the same settings in the past.

The problem is that both sections were long enough for files produced be rather big. And, to my dismay, when replaying the files, I found that the output is completely garbled. The bigger the file, the more garbled the output is.

Previous tests were short, just a couple of minutes, with sizes ranging from 100Mb to 1Gb, and they played quite right. But the files with problems are much bigger: 6Gb for the first, and 15Gb for the second. I took some caps from VirtualDub. The files show exactly the same on every player I've tried (VLC, MPlayerClassic, etc)

You can distinguish "something" in the 6Gb file:
    http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/6gigs.png

But the 15Gb file is undecipherable:
    http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/15gigs.png

Before posting here, I've researched the internet and I understand that the problem may be that the files are past the 2Gb limit of Avi 1.0 files and maybe that's the problem, but I'm clueless on how I could salvage them.

The audio streams are perfectly working and the files play from start to finish without errors, save for the garbled video output.

Do I have the slightles hope to save these files? They are quite important to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try MIRILLIS ACTION!. The best software record in nowsday, outperforms FRAPS, DXTORY, HYPERCAM, *.*.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the pointer. I will consider it in the future. Sad thing is, that recording war pretty much unique and I would like to find a way to recover it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by na_th_an View Post
    Thanks for the pointer. I will consider it in the future. Sad thing is, that recording war pretty much unique and I would like to find a way to recover it.
    Try open using avisynth:

DirectShowSource("clip0102.avi").ConvertToRGB32()
    Please, upload a file (1 minute) for test. its make more easy to solution.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will try avisynth (never used it). Anyways I don't think is a matter of pixel format, I mean, I've tried every combination to no avail in VirtualDub. I will try anyways. As for the 1 minute section, the problem is that I believe that the garbled output has to do with the file size. Any attempt to "cut" the AVI file will "fix" the error completely because I think the "bad data" is in the headers (because the file shows garbled only when it's past 2Gb, I've made further tests to be sure about this). I'll try to find the way to "cut" the file physically, without touching the headers, so I can upload the first portion so more knowledgeable people can examine it.

Thanks for your time

EDIT: As I feared, it's not a matter of pixel format. It has to be something to do with a badly written header - I might be wrong, of course, but the fact that the longer the file, the more garbled it shows, is extremely suspicious.

http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/avisynth.png

I will try to cut the file physically so the headers remain intact and upload it ASAP.
    Last edited by na_th_an; 2nd Dec 2012 at 06:48.
    Quote Quote