VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Please , could someone help me to how to go about converting my PAL Vhs tapes on to DVDs. I am not conversant in IT and softwares, so please not too technical. BTW , PAL is the system i was using in the UK , and my tapes do no longer work now that i am in CANADA.

Thanks for your kind help. Awaiting.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly how many tapes do you REALLY need to convert? If you're talking about perhaps 5 or fewer, it might be in your best interest to just pay a video shop in your town to do the conversion for you. If you have a lot of tapes that you really and truly cannot live without and can't afford to pay others to do the job for you, you'll have to invest many hundreds of dollars in equipment - a converting VCR, a DVD recorder and possibly a TBC (time base corrector). Converting PAL VHS to NTSC DVD is quite complicated and given your constraints, it may be more than you can really handle.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by bala62 View Post
    Please , could someone help me to how to go about converting my PAL Vhs tapes on to DVDs.
    Capture as PAL to your computer and then convert to NTSC. The ADVC boxes can easily do the PAL capture from a PAL VHS. Avs2DVD can do the conversion (I think).

Or, convert the PAL to NTSC on the fly with something like this:

http://www.220depot.com/Com-World-CMD-1500-Professional-PAL-NTSC-SECAM-Video-Converter.html

Be warned, though, they do a lousy job of it. Then, once as NTSC on the computer, convert to DVD. Or use it in combination with an NTSC DVD-Recorder to get NTSC DVDs quickly. The result will be even worse. Depends on how badly you want decent quality. If you want them as good as possible, then you'll need both equipment and knowledge. Apparently you have neither.
    Quote Quote