VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having had problems getting an Xvid to play properly in AVS2DVD & Virtualdub, it was suggested that I switch to FFDshow/libavcodec to handle Xvid decoding (uninstalling the Xvid codec I'd used previously). However, despite the fact that GraphEdit shows FFDshow now being used as the decoder for Xvids, AVS/Vdub are still using the Xvid codec installed via AutoGK. As such, I've had to uninstall AutoGK to get AVS/Vdub to use FFDshow to decode Xvids >> having done so, it is now playing back the problem Xvid perfectly, the only drawback being that I cannot use AutoGK.

Have I overlooked something? Is there any way for the two to co-exist? Seemingly AutoGK can't or won't use FFDshow for Xvid decoding, in which case I need to find some way to deprioritise AutoGK's installed Xvid codec so it doesn't interfere with anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So why was that suggested to you ? I have no issues with loading Xvids in to either program and both the Xvid codec and ffdshow are installed.

Just noticed your PC specs. Are you using the correct editions of these either both 32 bit or both 64 bit and not a mixture of both.
    Last edited by DB83; 29th Nov 2012 at 10:03. Reason: more info requested
    Quote Quote  
  3. GraphEdit uses DirectShow. VirtualDub and AutoGK use VFW. The systems are completely separate. Be sure to enable ffdshow's VFW decoder for Xvid. Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration.

Also, 64 bit and 32 bit software run in completely different systems under 64 bit Windows. 32 bit programs can only see 32 bit codecs. 64 bit programs can only see 64 bit codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DB83, it was suggested by Mr.C (author of AVS2DVD) as a way of resolving problems I was having with a specific Xvid file (whereby the playback in both AVS and Vdub juddered back and forth with the Xvid codec I had been using). I have 32 and 64 bit versions of FFDshow installed, so that shouldn't be an issue (besides, all of this has really be an attempt to deal with this one problem Xvid, as I have no such decoding issues with Xvids or any other formats as a rule).

jagabo, I think you've pointed me in the right direction (I suspected the answer would be something along those lines, but my knowledge about such things is too limited to know where to look). However, having just checked the 32 and 64 bit versions of FFDshow/VFW configuration, both already have Xvid enabled and set to Libavcodec (I never changed the VFW settings, so FFDshow must have done so automatically when I set the Video Decoder Config). As such, what do I need to do to get AVS and Vdub to ignore the AutoGK Xvid codec?
    Quote Quote