VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can somebody try and trace this image into an SVG? I'm having a hard time. I just want the actual sign outline, sans the noise. Thanks for any advice too.

Quote Quote  
  2. Go to Google images and find a clean sign (there are plenty). Use that to autotrace

Or use Google
    http://www.vecteezy.com/signs-symbols/39025-sign-vector-for-las-vegas-sign-
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 27th Nov 2012 at 18:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, true.

But the real sign has a star animation that loops, and I was thinking to replicate that. I have three stills each with a different part of the star. Hahaha, maybe not worth the effort though.
    Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by budwzr; 27th Nov 2012 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Despeckle (remove isolated pix) + Erode(Gimp) - normally Dilate
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Despeckle (remove isolated pix) + Erode(Gimp) - normally Dilate
    Thanks, but no luck. I do like Gimp though.

Quote Quote  
  6. in other words - remove isolated pixels (noise), make lines thicker (like Gaussian blur + treshold), perhaps additionally erode (which works in gimp like normally dilute works - perhaps error in gimp)

also for tracing high resolution bitmap should be used - perhaps some resizing algorithm for bitonal - palette-pixel art graphics can be used (Sal, Eagle etc) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling#Pixel_art_scaling_algorithms
    Quote Quote  
  7. Were you more interested in how to get a good trace ?
    -unless the source is perfect, you usually have to make some small manual adjustments
    -even if the source is "perfect" - all autotracing algorithms make mistakes especially on curves and fine intersections - so you still have to make adjustments

Or were you more interested in ways to do the animation ? What is this for ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Or were you more interested in ways to do the animation ? What is this for ?
    It's a learning experience. I was thinking to skin SVG's of each element, but my source images are not working out. I think the main problem is I'm out of the normal range of doability. The images are too murky, not crisp and clean.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    ....also for tracing high resolution bitmap should be used - perhaps some resizing algorithm for bitonal - palette-pixel art graphics can be used (Sal, Eagle etc) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling#Pixel_art_scaling_algorithms
    Over my head...zoop... Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, this is a better idea. Maybe cartoon it? And then just use the video. I want something surreal, but highly recognizable. This look also solves the "dirty tint" issue with the white background.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here we go, BINGO! I moved the Bright/Contrast ahead of the convolve. Love it, perfect.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Me Likey. The YT version is soft, but the link is sharp. It's good for looping.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by budwzr; 28th Nov 2012 at 11:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! I really love this Gimp program. I'm not an artist, but it lets me make art easily. Unbelievable, the tools and options.

Quote Quote