VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I've never had a problem before, but today I tried to convert a couple of .VOB files ripped from a DVD and they are coming out strange...I have tried a couple of different converters, different discs/recordings and still get the same problem.

I've attached a screenshot of what's happening to the aspect ratio of the video after conversion. I've kept "keep original size" ticked on the conversion programs - again, I've tried two; one on a PC and one on a Mac, and I get the same result.

It must be the recordings...but they're fine before being converted.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time!

Quote Quote  
  2. Apparently your recorder captured at 352x576? You'll have to do a proper resize before reencoding. Having it do 'keep original size' was a big mistake, even if it was 704x576. Try resizing it to some 1.33:1 ratio, something like 640x480. Or maybe something lower since it looks like crap anyway. Here it is at 352x264:
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi. Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is, when I view the raw files in various media players, they seem fine...it's only when I convert them or even get them in a converting program and see the preview that the aspect ratio appears to be off. They play back fine on the DVD recorder, too.

Should I still follow your steps in the converting program and see if it works, though?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using a dvd recorder and recording 3 hours and more at a time?If that's the case then it's best to only record 2 hours at a time so you can record at 720x576,recording 6 hour vhs at 1/2 dvd resolution will look really bad.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, I think these DVDs were on 4 hour setting...that shouldn't make the aspect ratio go weird though, should it?

I get what your saying about the quality side of things, though - I should really do each one on SP .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is, when I view the raw files in various media players, they seem fine.
    That's because the players resize it for playback. If you open a VOB in something that doesn't resize it, something like DGIndex or VDubMod, you should see it in the same shape as your picture without the black on the left and right sides. Or open a VOB in MediaInfo or GSpot and it'll give the true resolution as (I think) 352x576.

This also means that any other VOBs you reencoded in your program as 'keep original size' are also wrong, just not as badly wrong as your most recent one. Can't you tell that people look a bit too tall and slender? Moons are ovals and not round?

Should I still follow your steps in the converting program and see if it works, though?
    I have no idea what program you're using, but if you want them in the correct aspect ratio, and if this program allows for a resize, then try and make them in some 1.33:1 ratio, resolutions such as 640x480, 512x384, 480x360, etc.
    Hi, I think these DVDs were on 4 hour setting...that shouldn't make the aspect ratio go weird though, should it?
    As I said before, if using 'keep original size', they've always been bad, just not as bad as this one, because at that 4-hour setting it uses the resolution is different than if you used better settings, 352x576 I'm thinking. So, yes, the aspect ratio becomes even more 'weird'.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks! That's helped me understand it more. I just tried converting it to 640x480 and it came out fine. Thank you very much for your help!
    Quote Quote