VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I see that Walmart has a LG Blu-ray player for $38 from 10pm-11pm Thanksgiving Day, guaranteed available.
    Advert does not say anything about model number. I am looking for a low cost player that will play standard AVI (from usb memory stick) from a usb jack on the player.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	15369
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	14811  

Last edited by jimdagys; 22nd Nov 2012 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How is anyone supposed to know without a model number?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, I'll just go look it. Can always return it if doesn't play avi from a usb memory stick.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at the ad online. That Blu-Ray player is the LG BP-125, which does play video from a USB drive, but AVI is not listed among the files it supports on the product page at LG's US website, so it might not play them. There is no downloadable manual yet to check for more information.

These are what LG's website says it supports:
    Files = MKV, AVCHD, M4V, WMV, 3GP, MP4, FLV, VOB
    Video - MPEG-1, MPEG2, MPEG4 AVC (H.264), SMPTE VC1, DivX, DivX HD,
    Audio (Decoding) - DTS, LPCM, MP3, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, WMA
    Audio (Bitstream) - LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Nov 2012 at 14:20.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It says 'DivX', so my guess is that it does play AVIs (meaning XviD and DivX AVIs).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to manual it plays AVI...divx3, divx4, divx5 & divx6 as well as others stated above. I hope so because I'm hoping to get one tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm hoping to get one tonight.
    dfisher052,
    Could you please post the results of your experiments with that player.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 24th Nov 2012 at 11:44.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I did get one and must say I am very pleased with it. So far it has played everything I've played on it: DVD, AVI, DIVX, XVID, MP4, MKV, FLV. Except for the DVD all the others played through the USB port. And the one great thing that I really needed was playing from an external hard drive. I have one with a couple hundred movies in AVI format. Plugged it into the USB port and it listed them all & played them. It also plays thumb drives in either FAT32 or NTFS. And it upscales everything that is not bluray.
    Best $38 i've ever spent. I thought the $39 I spent on my Philips was a bargin (and it was), but I think this has it beat.
    Quote Quote  
  9. dfisher052,
    Thanks for the post. Can you explain something general about playing external hard drive on DVD player? My understanding is that just because a DVD player has a usb jack, and plays movies from a usb memory stick, that does not mean you can play from a external hard drive. So my question is: (as far as a DVD player is concerned) what is the difference between a usb memory stick and a external hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm confused. Do you actually mean what is the difference between a memory stick and an external harddrive or how do they relate to the USB input to the LG? I really thought by now that just about everyone that is on this site knew the difference. Just to clarify... a memory stick usually comes in sizes like 4, 8, 16 and 32 GB, where an external hardrive usually comes in sizes such as 500 GB and 1 TB. Both will plug into a USB port on a computer. But now quit a few DVD players have a USB input on them. Almost all will accept a memory stick to watch pictures, play music and in some cases play AVI encoded movies. Not all will accept an external hardrive, unless the hardrive is powered externally. The LG bluray player that we are referring to in this post will play from any memeory stick, both FAT32 & NTFS and will also play from an external hardrive that does not have to be powered externally. Does this answer your question?
    By the way, just in case anyone missed getting this player and can't find it you might want to know that the LG BP325 has all the same features plus has WI-FI plus some other added features and has been advertised on line for around $69.95.
    Quote Quote  
  11. pray that your player last for 1 year. The LG player I bought last year (also from Wal-Mart on black Friday) didn't last more than few months. warranty is only for 3 months(1 Year Parts/90 Days Labor) and you know how much labor cost in this country
    Quote Quote  
  12. dfisher052: I think I will have my computer guy order me one of these Blu-ray players. Have you tested a data disc perhaps on a DVD-R? I am wondering if you had backed up some .avi or even .mkv files on a data disc whether the player can play them. I wonder also if you had a folder of videos on your computer could you access them with a network cable between the Blu-Ray player and the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    Have you tested a data disc perhaps on a DVD-R? I am wondering if you had backed up some .avi or even .mkv files on a data disc whether the player can play them.
    I was wondering the same thing - if this LG will play all these different kinds of video files when they're burned to disc. Thanks for asking, Tom Saurus.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it does play data discs that I have tried. I don't have any in MKV format, but it does play AVI format. I don't know about PC to LG as I have not tried that.
    Quote Quote  
  15. manano: Your welcome.

dfisher052: Thanks for answering my question. It is nice to know that it has the ability to play the .avi files. To think it plays .flv files as well; that is really neat.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had more of a chance to play around with this player today and have discovered that it will play my XVID AVI's, both disc & usb, but is NOT playing any of the DIVX AVI's. Bummer. Also, the upscaling is not as good as my Philips DVD player (not bluray). But the MKV's I've played look great. I'll keep you posted as I try more things. I have a feeling that the LG BP325 that I refered to earlier will probably be the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using a FourCC changer to change the FourCC in the DivX AVIs from divx/div5/etc. to what Xvid uses ("xvid"?), and see if the player will then accept them. LG probably just didn't want to pay extra for the DivX licensing fees.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Downloaded it, but have no idea how to use it. XVID was not one of the choices.
    Quote Quote  
  19. dfisher, can it play blu-ray converted to mkv files through usb?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    Downloaded it, but have no idea how to use it. XVID was not one of the choices.
    Make sure you're working on a copy of the original AVI, just to be safe. In the AVI FourCC Code Changer window, manually enter "xvid" (lowercase, without the quotes) in both of the top two fields, then click Apply. Try playing the resulting AVI on the player.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ai Haibara... THANKS! that worked.

Steve(MS)... I assume it plays bluray converted to MKV. I don't have any bluray's my self (yet) but I do have some MKV's that a friend converted for me and they play fine. I also have some bluray's converted to AVI & some converted to DVD and they all play and look great on my 40" Samsung. But, like I said before, I still think the upscalling looks better on the Philips than on the LG.
    Quote Quote  
  22. dfisher052: I was wondering if you had a folder with multiple video files on a data disc, does the interface allow you to see quite a portion of the file name so you can see what you are selecting? On my Phillips Ultra Divx Players the file name displayed was limited to a certain numbers of letters. At times that made it difficult to figure out what file you were selecting. I am also wondering if you had a .mp4 file that used the mkv2mp4 program to add synopsis, a box cover picture to, does that show up on the interface you see on your television screen? I am wondering the same about .mp3 files where one has added various meta tags, do they show up on the interface on your television screen? The same questions would apply to .mp4 and .mp3 stored on a hard drive.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 28th Nov 2012 at 08:31.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I got one of these from Wal-mart on Black Friday. I was wondering if it will play DVD's from other countries, such as UK, Denmark, China?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a DVD with multiple video files, but I do have an external harddrive that does. Over 300 movies in AVI format. It shows all of them & when you put the mouse over the icon it scrolls the title so it gives you the full title.

So far it plays both NTFS and PAL files.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Great. I was thinking of trying one of the multi region hacks but I think it has to be done before setting up. Maybe won't need to.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jobean View Post
    Great. I was thinking of trying one of the multi region hacks but I think it has to be done before setting up. Maybe won't need to.
    All he said was it plays AVIs with differing framerates. That says nothing about whether or not it plays DVDs from the different regions. And it almost certainly won't play them out of the box. You'll have to perform the multi-region process you discovered:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t14841056-make_yhe_lg_bp_125_blu_ray_player_multi
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    US manual can be found here:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-bp125

As I don't have any PAL DVD's I have not been able to verify that it will play them. It will play PAL AVI's.

I mentioned that it plays DIVX. When I said that I was looking at the euro manual. The US manual does not list DIVX and as I found out it does NOT play DIVX. I had to change my DIVX AVI's to XVID with AVI FOURCC Code Change as suggested by Ai Haibara.
    Quote Quote  
  28. dfisher052: Thank you very much for the information you have provided. I plan on getting the
    LG BP325 model you mentioned in one of your previous posts. I have sent an email to my
    computer guy and he will see if he can get it for me.

manono: If that region hack will work that would be an extra special icing on the cake because I have been thinking of ordering some Britcoms in the PAL format, they are a lot more reasonably priced then the NTSC box sets. Though I could really get hosed on the shipping costs. I really didn't want to have to buy an additional DVD player just for playing those.
    Quote Quote  
  29. All he said was it plays AVIs with differing framerates. That says nothing about whether or not it plays DVDs from the different regions. And it almost certainly won't play them out of the box. You'll have to perform the multi-region process you discovered:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t148410...y_player_multi
    Ok, thanks. Since Walmart sold so many of those, was hoping to see what others have found or if they had luck with the hack before I try it. I read a thread where the poster set it up before doing the hack and ended up having to get another, although he seemed pleased with the results eventually.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For what it's worth...I just downloaded a film in PAL format (for test purposes), burned it to a DVD and it played fine in the LG.
    Quote Quote