VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

Threaded View

1. I see that Walmart has a LG Blu-ray player for $38 from 10pm-11pm Thanksgiving Day, guaranteed available.
    Advert does not say anything about model number. I am looking for a low cost player that will play standard AVI (from usb memory stick) from a usb jack on the player.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	15230
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	14811  

Last edited by jimdagys; 22nd Nov 2012 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How is anyone supposed to know without a model number?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, I'll just go look it. Can always return it if doesn't play avi from a usb memory stick.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at the ad online. That Blu-Ray player is the LG BP-125, which does play video from a USB drive, but AVI is not listed among the files it supports on the product page at LG's US website, so it might not play them. There is no downloadable manual yet to check for more information.

These are what LG's website says it supports:
    Files = MKV, AVCHD, M4V, WMV, 3GP, MP4, FLV, VOB
    Video - MPEG-1, MPEG2, MPEG4 AVC (H.264), SMPTE VC1, DivX, DivX HD,
    Audio (Decoding) - DTS, LPCM, MP3, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, WMA
    Audio (Bitstream) - LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Nov 2012 at 14:20.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It says 'DivX', so my guess is that it does play AVIs (meaning XviD and DivX AVIs).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to manual it plays AVI...divx3, divx4, divx5 & divx6 as well as others stated above. I hope so because I'm hoping to get one tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm hoping to get one tonight.
    dfisher052,
    Could you please post the results of your experiments with that player.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 24th Nov 2012 at 11:44.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I did get one and must say I am very pleased with it. So far it has played everything I've played on it: DVD, AVI, DIVX, XVID, MP4, MKV, FLV. Except for the DVD all the others played through the USB port. And the one great thing that I really needed was playing from an external hard drive. I have one with a couple hundred movies in AVI format. Plugged it into the USB port and it listed them all & played them. It also plays thumb drives in either FAT32 or NTFS. And it upscales everything that is not bluray.
    Best $38 i've ever spent. I thought the $39 I spent on my Philips was a bargin (and it was), but I think this has it beat.
    Quote Quote  
  9. dfisher052,
    Thanks for the post. Can you explain something general about playing external hard drive on DVD player? My understanding is that just because a DVD player has a usb jack, and plays movies from a usb memory stick, that does not mean you can play from a external hard drive. So my question is: (as far as a DVD player is concerned) what is the difference between a usb memory stick and a external hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
  10. dfisher, can it play blu-ray converted to mkv files through usb?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have this blu-ray player and I'm having trouble getting the player to play movies from an external hard drive. I have a 1TB Western Digital My Passport hard drive with movies on it. When I plug it into the blu-ray player and enter the "Movies" menu, I can't even select "USB" which stays completely grayed out.

The blu-ray player recognizes and plays movies from thumb drives just fine, but for some reason it won't let me use the external hard drive. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How is the drive formatted? (FAT32, NTFS, etc.)

Check your player's manual to see if there are any restrictions on the way files and folders are arranged on the drive... and if there are any notes about whether or not it'll support larger drives that might need their own power supply.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The drive is formatted NTFS, which the manual says is a supported format.

The manual doesn't say anything with respect to file and folder arrangement, but I have tried both having the files simply dumped on the drive and having the files organized in folders. Neither worked.

The manual doesn't say anything about drives needing their own power supply, but this hard drive does not have a separate power supply, it draws power through the USB connection.

I can't figure out what is going wrong here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by obliviouslawyer View Post
    The manual doesn't say anything about drives needing their own power supply, but this hard drive does not have a separate power supply, it draws power through the USB connection.
    Just because the manual omits information doesn't mean much of anything. The manual for my LG BD670 is plainly incorrect in several particulars, in addition to omissions. LG is rather worse than average for poor documentation.

I would bet the lack of a power supply for your external HD is the problem. Can you test with a powered external drive?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Or buy one of those powered usb ports...
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have used both a powered FAT32 and a NTSF hard drive and the player accesses them just fine. I find that it is best to switch on the hard drive first and then turn the power button on the Blu Ray player. I have a choice between whatever is in the optical media tray and the USB slot. I also have been using a thumb drive and that works great. I downloaded the Manual from the LG website. The documentation that came in the box was just about useless.

I find it can play a lot of the .flv files I have, but you can't skip ahead or back unless you convert them to the XviD format. I find that the interface ignores chapters I put into mkv files, but I can easily skip ahead to where I want in the file by clicking on a Menu button, going to the time display and pressing the arrow keys to get to a time close to where I want to pick something up and press the enter key and I am there.

It is a terrific player. The only flaw I find is that I wish it didn't just have HDMI as its output. Though there is something for Component Video that is either input or output; I will have to research and test that out. I wouldn't mind getting one of these for every TV in the house and we have two CRT televisions other than the LCD one.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that this unit will work fine with up to a 500GB external hard drive, but not 1TB. I have 2 500GB that work great. I don't have a 1TB, but I still think that could be the problem.
    The outputs on the back are HDMI and digital audio. It says coaxial output but that is actually audio and not video, so this player can only be connected to a HDMI equipt video source.
    I have been using this player since I got it on Black Friday eve and am very pleased with it. Again as I stated in an earlier post the only fault I have found is that it will play XVID but not DVIX, but I still have my original Phillips connected so if the LG doesn't play it the Phillips does.
    I use to convert to AVI to play on the Phillips but now I convert to MKV and play on the LG. Much better quality with no noticable conversion loss.
    Quote Quote  
  18. dfisher052: I guess I lucked out with the LG BP325 that I bought. It plays Divx just fine and I have hooked a 2 TB hard drive to it and it played the video files on it. The drive had some unedited mpeg2 files as well and it played them no problem. I am very pleased with it. Thanks for the additional information. I think I will follow your lead, it makes sense to convert the .flv files to .mkv files.
    Quote Quote  
  19. dfisher052: I discovered today that when I download a YouTube video I can chose .mp4 instead of .flv. I put one of the .mp4 files on my thumbdrive and hooked that into the LG Blu Ray player and it played. I can fast forward, without having to convert to anything else. So if I download the YouTube files as .mp4 I shouldn't bother converting them to the .mkv files. Yet another thing to like about this LG Blu Ray player. I do have a Phillips Divx Ultra Player as well; but I haven't bothered with that since I got the LG 3D Blu Ray player. I am very pleased with it so far.
    Quote Quote