VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. dfisher052: Thanks for your latest post. I have ordered the LG BP 325. I wasn't sure if the hack would work since it is a different model. I also didn't really want to do the hack. It will be terrific if the PAL DVD's will play. I will probably hook this up to my Mom's 480p television until I can afford a 1080p television.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jobean View Post
    I read a thread where the poster set it up before doing the hack and ended up having to get another, although he seemed pleased with the results eventually.
    Right, apparently you shouldn't upgrade the firmware before performing the hack, or the hack won't work and you'll have to install an older firmware before then making it multi-region.

Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    For what it's worth...I just downloaded a film in PAL format (for test purposes), burned it to a DVD and it played fine in the LG.
    Not enough information so it's not worth much. Burning something to a DVD doesn't mean it has DVD video. Nor does it mean it's from a different region from yours which is the real problem. In fact, it almost certainly means this video-on-DVD is region-free. This hack wouldn't be necessary were it possible to play retail DVDs from all countries to begin with.
    Last edited by manono; 29th Nov 2012 at 15:24.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately, the DVD player is illegal. Does not contain standard composite jacks (video/audio), so cannot be connected to TV. Will be returning it today. The outside box should state this fact in bold letters to let consumers know. (Like today's vcrs sold at Walmart do not contain any tuner, and this is so stated in bold letters on the box.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    Unfortunately, the DVD player is illegal. Does not contain standard composite jacks (video/audio), so cannot be connected to TV. Will be returning it today. The outside box should state this fact in bold letters to let consumers know. (Like today's vcrs sold at Walmart do not contain any tuner, and this is so stated in bold letters on the box.)
    Its illegal? I feel that were well beyond the era of composite. HDMI has been around for 5 iterations and many many years.

For what it's worth...I just downloaded a film in PAL format (for test purposes), burned it to a DVD and it played fine in the LG.
    A PAL movie AVI or MKV or any kind of file that isnt actual DVD format (VOB burned in a DVD structure) will play, when it comes to AVI/MKV etc they arent region locked, all that PAL region means is that it plays at a different framerate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those who make Blu-ray players must eliminate all analog connections after 2013 due to license requirements. LG may be a little early eliminating analog, but what they are doing is legal. LG's BP220 and BP320 models still have composite.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Chrushev View Post
    ...all that PAL region means is that it plays at a different framerate.
    A different framerate from what? From NTSC's 29.97fps? Not exactly. Japan is Region 2 (same as most of Europe, which is PAL) but uses NTSC's 29.97fps. Region locking is for a different reason, as the Wikipedia says:

DVD region codes are a digital-rights management technique designed to allow film distributors to control aspects of a release, including content, release date, and price, according to the region.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

The PAL/NTSC issue is entirely different, although is also important, especially for NTSC people, but I don't believe the LG player has any problems playing region-free PAL DVDs in NTSC countries. It's the region locking that the hack defeats.

==========================================

This thing honors Cinavia audio watermarking I suppose? It would be too much to wish for that it wasn't implemented in the player.
    Last edited by manono; 30th Nov 2012 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Does anyone know if the hack with work on the LG BP 325 as well? Can the hack do any damage? I have to memorize this new term Cinavia. I can just imagine saying the new Blu Ray players have Clamidia. I wouldn't be surprised since this new protection technology is such a success, it will be part of everything that is released on DVD as well. The thing I hope is that the price one pays for DVDs doesn't start increasing beyond reason. I am getting some good bargains on movies and mini-series and TV series box sets.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post

This thing honors Cinavia audio watermarking I suppose? It would be too much to wish for that it wasn't implemented in the player.
    Every Blu-ray player made since February 1, 2012 is required to honor Cinavia. It is part of the AACS licensing agreement, just like the progressive elimination of analog connections.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would imagine if they are getting rid of analog outputs and going with HDMI output only then this will spread to cable boxes and satellite receivers which will mean the end of video capturing via that route. It seems to be the end of an era.

Well come what may I hope the prices of DVD and Blu Rays don't go sky high. I will buy what I can afford and just have to do without what I can't afford. It is getting easier to not crave the latest blockbusters as it is rare they make a good television show or movie these days.

I look forward to watching our first Blu Ray movie. I won't be able to back it up; but I think I can live with that fact of life.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I got the Blu Ray player yesterday. I didn't waste any time checking it out. It is quite a compact, neat piece of entertainment equipment. It plays most of the .flv files I had on a hard drive. It liked the .mkv files. It played the .divx files I had on both DVD disc and on the hard drive. I could navigate easily to the files I wanted to select and it would scroll the entire file name if it had a long name. I put in a DVD I had bought with a TV Series on it, and it played that fine as well. I am very pleased with this Blu Ray player. I have it plugged into a battery backup slot in a UPS, hoping this will protect it. I also plug the hard drive in a similar slot, hoping that gives some protection.

I have it hooked up to my Mom's 20 inch 480p LCD HD TV. I can't afford a 1080p 32 inch LED TV at the moment. The good thing about my Mom's TV is that if I do have the odd 280p .flv file it is watchable on that screen. Most of my .flv files are 360p and they look nice on her screen.

I haven't tried the network cable yet. But it seems in the future I could have a computer with a/v files on it and that could be accessed by the Blu Ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have this blu-ray player and I'm having trouble getting the player to play movies from an external hard drive. I have a 1TB Western Digital My Passport hard drive with movies on it. When I plug it into the blu-ray player and enter the "Movies" menu, I can't even select "USB" which stays completely grayed out.

The blu-ray player recognizes and plays movies from thumb drives just fine, but for some reason it won't let me use the external hard drive. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How is the drive formatted? (FAT32, NTFS, etc.)

Check your player's manual to see if there are any restrictions on the way files and folders are arranged on the drive... and if there are any notes about whether or not it'll support larger drives that might need their own power supply.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The drive is formatted NTFS, which the manual says is a supported format.

The manual doesn't say anything with respect to file and folder arrangement, but I have tried both having the files simply dumped on the drive and having the files organized in folders. Neither worked.

The manual doesn't say anything about drives needing their own power supply, but this hard drive does not have a separate power supply, it draws power through the USB connection.

I can't figure out what is going wrong here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by obliviouslawyer View Post
    The manual doesn't say anything about drives needing their own power supply, but this hard drive does not have a separate power supply, it draws power through the USB connection.
    Just because the manual omits information doesn't mean much of anything. The manual for my LG BD670 is plainly incorrect in several particulars, in addition to omissions. LG is rather worse than average for poor documentation.

I would bet the lack of a power supply for your external HD is the problem. Can you test with a powered external drive?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Or buy one of those powered usb ports...
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have used both a powered FAT32 and a NTSF hard drive and the player accesses them just fine. I find that it is best to switch on the hard drive first and then turn the power button on the Blu Ray player. I have a choice between whatever is in the optical media tray and the USB slot. I also have been using a thumb drive and that works great. I downloaded the Manual from the LG website. The documentation that came in the box was just about useless.

I find it can play a lot of the .flv files I have, but you can't skip ahead or back unless you convert them to the XviD format. I find that the interface ignores chapters I put into mkv files, but I can easily skip ahead to where I want in the file by clicking on a Menu button, going to the time display and pressing the arrow keys to get to a time close to where I want to pick something up and press the enter key and I am there.

It is a terrific player. The only flaw I find is that I wish it didn't just have HDMI as its output. Though there is something for Component Video that is either input or output; I will have to research and test that out. I wouldn't mind getting one of these for every TV in the house and we have two CRT televisions other than the LCD one.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that this unit will work fine with up to a 500GB external hard drive, but not 1TB. I have 2 500GB that work great. I don't have a 1TB, but I still think that could be the problem.
    The outputs on the back are HDMI and digital audio. It says coaxial output but that is actually audio and not video, so this player can only be connected to a HDMI equipt video source.
    I have been using this player since I got it on Black Friday eve and am very pleased with it. Again as I stated in an earlier post the only fault I have found is that it will play XVID but not DVIX, but I still have my original Phillips connected so if the LG doesn't play it the Phillips does.
    I use to convert to AVI to play on the Phillips but now I convert to MKV and play on the LG. Much better quality with no noticable conversion loss.
    Quote Quote  
  18. dfisher052: I guess I lucked out with the LG BP325 that I bought. It plays Divx just fine and I have hooked a 2 TB hard drive to it and it played the video files on it. The drive had some unedited mpeg2 files as well and it played them no problem. I am very pleased with it. Thanks for the additional information. I think I will follow your lead, it makes sense to convert the .flv files to .mkv files.
    Quote Quote  
  19. dfisher052: I discovered today that when I download a YouTube video I can chose .mp4 instead of .flv. I put one of the .mp4 files on my thumbdrive and hooked that into the LG Blu Ray player and it played. I can fast forward, without having to convert to anything else. So if I download the YouTube files as .mp4 I shouldn't bother converting them to the .mkv files. Yet another thing to like about this LG Blu Ray player. I do have a Phillips Divx Ultra Player as well; but I haven't bothered with that since I got the LG 3D Blu Ray player. I am very pleased with it so far.
    Quote Quote  
  20. My LG Blu-ray player is acting up now. When I press any buttons to access the features available the player shuts itself down. The tech guy who ordered it from Future Shop advised me to unplug it for ten minutes. I have a one year warranty so hopefully I can get a replacement. This is such a shame I was really enjoying this machine and the files it could play. Lately I have been playing quite a few .mp4 files I got off of YouTube. Coincidentally yesterday I took a nap and my Mom's Shitzu chewed on the remote control player for the machine; I hope that doesn't void the warranty. The mahine was working alright last night. I had it plugged into a UPC with battery backup.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I unplugged it for ten minutes and the Blu ray player seems to be back to normal. I have really came to like this gizmo. I better buy a spare one. Maybe I should get a different brand next time.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also just discovered a qwirk with my LG BD125. I was running through some movies on a 500GB external HD and discovered a couple of mp4 files that not only wouldn't play, but actually shut down the machine. I unplugged the machine for about 10 seconds and it came back on (I really like that you can unplug from the machine and not from the wall. Saves having to move the very big cabinet that it's in). I'm surprised that you can play DVIX. I was looking at the manual for the BD325 (as I was thinking of also getting that) and it also lists XVID but not DVIX, the same as the 125. Also, has anyone tried to connect a 1TB external to the BD125. I would like to get one to connect, but not if it won't work. I've already filled my 500GB with movies and want to go to a 1TB.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    I unplugged it for ten minutes and the Blu ray player seems to be back to normal.
    Remember, any device that switches off and on via remote control is never really off. A Blu-ray players is basically a computer. It can crash just like any other computer. The more complex the firmware the more likely it is to crash on occasion. When that happens you'll need to reboot via a power cycle.
    Quote Quote  
  24. jagabo: Thank you for this information. It seems to be pretty well back to normal and I enjoyed watching some videos on it yesterday. I think I will get another unit for the Insignia 24 inch TV we purchased a little while ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This isn't a big deal for me these days but I have tried some burned VCD and SVCD discs that I know will play on my older LG bluray player but they do not play on the BP125. Says check disc when I insert one and ejects the disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    Have you tested a data disc perhaps on a DVD-R? I am wondering if you had backed up some .avi or even .mkv files on a data disc whether the player can play them.
    I was wondering the same thing - if this LG will play all these different kinds of video files when they're burned to disc. Thanks for asking, Tom Saurus.

You shall ask those who created them, then you know for sure.
    Never forget that mkv and avi are only container formats......
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jmikeh View Post
    This isn't a big deal for me these days but I have tried some burned VCD and SVCD discs that I know will play on my older LG bluray player but they do not play on the BP125. Says check disc when I insert one and ejects the disc.
    VCD and SVCD are standards, but do you really know for sure that your discs meat THAT criterias 100%???
    Search for XVCD, KVCD, XSVCD etc.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    Also, has anyone tried to connect a 1TB external to the BD125. I would like to get one to connect, but not if it won't work. I've already filled my 500GB with movies and want to go to a 1TB.
    I have the BP-125, and currently have a 2TB portable drive (WD My Passport) attached and working with no problems.
    I think the specs say that the USB port can supply 500mA for powering a portable drive.
    You can't fool me, I'm a moron!
    Quote Quote