VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, newbie so posting in this forum.

I have an HD cam that saves on an SD card to *.avi with H264 encoding.

I've been using the camera and editing with Windows Movie Maker on my old Vista/Pentium dual core machine without problems for over a year.

My problem is this ... I have just bought an HP laptop with Win8 64 bit (details in my profile I think) Nomatter how many codec packs I install I cannot get any video editing software (free stuff: Wax, Windows Live Movie Maker etc) to recognise my videos. If I change the file extension to *.mp4 my videos are recognised and edit/render OK, but the quality is very poor.

I have run a codec reporting utility and it shows lots of codecs installed and some for H264.

I have a feeling that my problem is something to do with the AMD APU Radeon graphics, but not sure and really don't know enough about that processor to tinker.

My camera videos do play with Windows Media Player, DivX player etc fine on my new machune.

Any advice would be most welcome

Debbie
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt it has something to do with graphics. It's probably more a win8 problem.

Have you tried with the win8codecs?

And you can try remux the avi to an mp4 with for example avidemux, open avi, under video and audio choose copy, under format mp4, and save as mp4. Just changing the file extension shouldn't work that good.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You probably need a VFW h.264 decoder. Try ffdshow. The 32 bit version if you're using 32 bit software, the 64 bit version if you're using 64 bit software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick. I just downloaded and installed the win8codecs pack and when I try to import my videos into Windows Movie Maker I get:

C:\Users\Debbie\Videos\remembrance 2012\IMAG0046.AVI could not be imported.

I tend to work with videos of over one hour duration and 720p resolution so I want to avoid having to copy to a different format if possible, but I may have to do this if I can't resolve my problem.

Thanks jagabo, I do have ffdshow installed, in fact that is the codec pack that works well on my old vista machine. However, I'll have a look to make sure I have the correct pack installed for my OS and download the correct one if not.

Debbie
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you need to disable windows 8 built in h264 decoder, try the Win7DSFilterTweaker.

And be sure that you have enabled h264 vfw decoding in the ffdshow config.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the ffdshow 64 bit pack and now when I try to import my videos into Movie Maker I get 'Movie Maker transcoder has stopped working' this happens as soon as the program starts to prepare the video.

It's very frustrating and I'm beginning to wish I'd not bought this machine ...

Debbie
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Deb Sutton View Post
    I do have ffdshow installed, in fact that is the codec pack that works well on my old vista machine. However, I'll have a look to make sure I have the correct pack installed for my OS and download the correct one if not.
    Be sure the VFW h.264 decoder is enabled.

Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration -> Decoder -> Codecs -> h.264/AVC
    Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow x64 -> VFW Configuration -> Decoder -> Codecs -> h.264/AVC

And again, 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs, 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs. The two environments are separate so 32 bit programs can't see 64 bit codecs, and vice versa.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Maybe you need to disable windows 8 built in h264 decoder, try the Win7DSFilterTweaker.

And be sure that you have enabled h264 vfw decoding in the ffdshow config.
    Thanks Baldrick and jagabo

I ran the filter tweaker and changed all relevant to ffdshow but that made no difference.

I'm now having a problem opening the ffdshow config. I do have a start button on my win8, that was the first thing I did when I bought the machine. But, although the ffdshow config does show in the start menu it doesn't open. I looked in program files and program files x86 but ffdshow isn't there even though I've installed and reinstalled it! I do have show hidden files enabled. Something is very odd. I'm getting very tired tonight so will try again tomorrow. Thanks all for you help and advice. Will post again tomorrow if I can't sort it out.

Debbie
    Quote Quote  
  9. \Program Files (x86)\ffdshow\... is the 32 bit version. \Program Files\ffdshow\... is the 64 bit version. But that may not help you. The config is done via the dlls in the SysWow64 (32 bit version) and System32 (64 bit version) folders. You may need to be admin.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Nov 2012 at 19:56.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    \Program Files (x86)\ffdshow\... is the 32 bit version. \Program Files\ffdshow\... is the 64 bit version.
    Hi jagabo, I knew that but thanks anyway ... ffdshow 64bit just isn't there even though I've reinstalled it several times using the default destination.

There's nowt much on this PC as I've only had it a few days so I may reinstall the OS and start afresh. It could be that I've messed summat up with all the codec packs and free editors that I've downloaded.

Debbie

Edit, looks like you edited your post after I quoted
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, I added the part about the dlls in the SysWow64 and System32 folders.
    Quote Quote