VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    (I'll start by saying "hi" as this is my first post)

I'm sure this is a stupid question but the answer escapes me. I have in front of me the Band of Brothers Blu Ray disk set that I'd like to rip so it can join the other rips on my HDD. Each disk contains two episodes.

If we take disk 3 as an example (purely because that's what's currently in the drive), it contains two episodes - 5, which appears to be 55:42 long according to PowerDVD, and 6 which appears to be 1:07.

I open the disk with DVDFab and can see four titles (1,6,8 and 10) that are each 1:07:20 long. There are also four titles (0,5,7 and 9) that are 55:42 long. MakeMKV shows me two titles of which two are 13.2GB and two are 15.5GB, ByteCopy tells me there is one title that is 1:07:20, one 1:07:13 and another that is 55:42.

How do I tell which title is the correct one for each of the two episodes?

I've been able to do this with other DVDs by looking at which title is played by VLC when I select the main movie/extra/whatever. VLC won't play a Blu Ray so I use PowerDVD, it says it is playing title 5/81 for both episodes.

Having looked at the tools it looked like PgcEdit may be able to help but it doesn't appear to open Blu Ray disks. I then tried BDedit but if that can help it's beyond me!

If the answer is in the 'How to' documents and I missed it please feel free to point me at it.

Thanks.

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    bdinfo is probably better than powerdvd and bdedit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, once you have the rip on your hard drive, scan it with BDinfo. It will put the two longest titles on top and tell you which mpls (playlist file) links to each title. (If you see four, the extras are just duplicate listings).There are two episodes on each BoB disc. Navigate to the PLAYLIST folder and right click one of the two mpls files identified above, and open in MPCHC. Watch a little and you'll know which is which.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if your gonna re-encode these anyhow...why not rip them to the hdd with dvdfab...then load up that blu ray in Vidcoder and it will give you a drop down box of all the title that m2ts has and use Vidcoder to encode the vids to whatever size you want....you can batch convert with it also...very simple app to use
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry for my tardy response, I got wrapped up in something else for a while, and thank you for your help.

This is long, sorry.

I downloaded BDInfo and while I haven't been able to answer my question I've learned things and they're not all good! For BoB there appear to be four playlists for each episode. AFAICS the only difference between them is that for three there are 'hidden tracks' and one that has no hidden tracks; I assume the one I want is the one with no hidden tracks but I may be thinking too simplistically.

I assumed MakeMKV used a meaningful title for the files it outputs that relate to something on the disk but as far as I can see they're just sequential - the first file it picks up is 00, the next is 01 and so on. That makes them impossible to resolve unless I noted which title related to which MPLS file when MakeMKV ripped them and I didn't. It's not too much of a tragedy as I need to rip the BoB discs again because I didn't realise MakeMKV doesn't extract the lossless audio track by default (there are quite a few others I'll need to re-do as well ).

DVDFab seems to have its own set of title numbers that, for BoB disk 3 as an example, the titles run 1,6,8,10,0,5 and so on which I assume must mean something but I've no idea what!

I downloaded and installed Vidcoder at Moontrash's recommendation. That's obviously a clever piece of software for it alone seems to have been able to to identify the two episodes present on the disk. Unfortunately I can't see any way to pull the information out of Vidcoder that will allow me to identify which titles they are and rip them using something else. I don't want to compress my rips and I want the audio to be the same as it is on the DVD.

Kevin
    Quote Quote