VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some home video that I did recently that was 1920 x 1080 29fps. I used MultiAVCHD and Imgburn and it burned PERFECTLY on my BD-R 25gb disc and played perfectly on my playstation 3. This was from a loaner Sony HD camcorder, because my Panasonic HD camcorder was getting repaired.

Now I have my Panasonic HD camcorder back and I want to burn some video from this camcorder. I noticed that the footage is 1920 X 1080 59fps. Will this burn as perfectly as the 29fps video up above? Or do I need to change some settings on multiavchd?

James
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1080p59.94 isn't blu-ray compliant , but you can burn it as a data disc to play in a computer for example

It is , however AVCHD 2.0 compliant if <28Mb/s (but multiavchd's developer ceased development before AVCHD2.0 specs came out)

1080p59.94 won't play on ps3 or most blu-ray players without stuttering (some very new models can)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well what can I do then? You say it is AVCHD 2.0 compliant. So can I alter the video somehow to play on my bluray player? I don't care about burning it as a data disc to play on a computer. I want it to play on my PS3.
    James
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you want it compatible for the PS3 and <all> blu-ray players then you have to convert it to 1080i59.94 (ie. convert it to interlaced) , or 720p59.94 (reduced resolution, but still progressive) . Both require re-encoding
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What software re-encodes it from 1080p to 1080i? Also, I now notice that my camcorder has a HDMI resolution option of recording in 1080i as well as 1080p and 480p. So I think from now on I will record in 1080i 59fps. It stinks that they sell camcorders that record in 1080 59fps, but don't make blu-ray 1080 59fps compliant. What sense does that make?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm pretty sure multiavchd and/or avchdcoder will do this conversion and make it compatible

See your other thread for discussion on recording format . Essentially you're thowing away 1/2 the resolution when recording or converting to 1080i59.94

AVCHD2.0 spec blu-ray players can play AVCHD discs with 1080p59.94 (only very few of the most recent models, PS3 definitely can't )
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    What software re-encodes it from 1080p to 1080i? Also, I now notice that my camcorder has a HDMI resolution option of recording in 1080i as well as 1080p and 480p. So I think from now on I will record in 1080i 59fps. It stinks that they sell camcorders that record in 1080 59fps, but don't make blu-ray 1080 59fps compliant. What sense does that make?
    James
    well, you got rid of player that would handle 60p, you could edit that 60p and export 60p , some easy profile .....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So poisondeathray, is it the PLAYER that is causing the stuttering of 1080p 59fps? Because I am playing it on my PS3 and according to you, PS3 is NOT 1080p59.94 ready. Correct?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    _Al_, I don't understand what you are talking about, "you got rid of player that would handle 60p"??? What player are you talking about??

James
    Quote Quote  
  10. Wasn't that you that got rid of WDTV Live player ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, 1 year ago I did, because it DID NOT PLAY my 1080p 59fps video well AT ALL. Constant stuttering. I called them to see if they were gonna get a firmware update and at the time they said they did not know. So I got returned it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It did not play the original mts or some 60p within mkv, possibly easy profile ? Those players handle mkv much better. You can alway encode it to 60p again, that is what you do with Blu-Ray anyway.

I think you just tested those original mts files. BTW, my WDTV Live plus plays them all right, you either have one of those first models or you just had some bad luck on a account of bad firmware having installed.

There are other players out there, not just Sony players:
    http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went back and looked at my posts from a year ago. The problem was 2 things: The video was OK but a little choppy. But even worse was the audio went out after playing back for 10-15 seconds. Every clip, the audio would go out after 15sec. or so. Maybe now they are better than a year ago. Yes, when I record using my panasonic camcorder, I record 1920x1080p 59fps and they are M2ts files in my computer. Are you saying that maybe I should just place those M2ts files into an MKV container, keeping everything else the same (i.e. 1080p 59fps)?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  14. Those mts right out of camcoreder might not be optimal for your player, muxing it into mkv might or might not help.

But if you export those 60p mp4 out of your video editor some easy profile and low reference frame count and then muxing it into mkv with mkvmerge (editors usually cannot export into mkv container directly) it might be different story. Maybe player would accept even that mp4 who knows.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't quite understand. Once the video files are on my computer as 1080p 59fps m2ts files, then what do I do? Low reference frame count? easy profile?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  16. What do you usually do with your video, you add titles , merge clips, what programs are you using to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still, right now I do want to BURN it to a Blu-ray disc. So what would be my option here: Re-encode to 1080i OR to 720P? Or can I just re-encode down to 1080p 29fps?? Which is less of a downgrade. Because the bottom line for right now is that I want these videos on Blu-ray discs for my family for easy viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  18. So mountain goes to Mohammad , so be it, BD then, 60p to 60i or downsize.
    well you did not answer what software you use, it could matter, you test both export 1080i and 720p and then it might bring discussion about actual settings that can help you to achieve better result.

Making 1080i you have to just drop fields and leave the rest to get the best result, to make 720p you have to have good resizer, again depends what software you will use. You test it for yourself on your TV, trust no one to tell you what is better, providing you have good TV that does good job in deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what you mean by "mountain to Mohammad", however, I don't add titles or merge clips to my home videos. I simply want to transfer the video from the camcorder to the computer to the BD-R and have it play smoothly at the clearest it can handle it.
    So what software/freeware would you recommend?
    1. Go from 1080p 59fps to 1080p 29fps?
    2. Go from 1080p 59fps to 1080i 59fps?
    3. Go from 1080p 59fps to 720p 59fps?

These are my 3 re-encoding/downgrading options. What software/freeware is out there to try all 3 and see which one plays best on my blu-ray disc using my PS3?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    So poisondeathray, is it the PLAYER that is causing the stuttering of 1080p 59fps? Because I am playing it on my PS3 and according to you, PS3 is NOT 1080p59.94 ready. Correct?
    James
    That's correct. If you go back and read post #2 I said it will stutter. - It will stutter in some sections on the PS3 - 100% for sure.

Option 1 isn't a good one, the motion smoothess will be "jerky" (stuttering of a different kind, because you throw away 1/2 the motion samples)

Options 2 and 3 are viable , multiavchd or avchdcoder should be able to do it
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    I don't add titles or merge clips to my home videos. I simply want to transfer the video from the camcorder to the computer to the BD-R and have it play smoothly at the clearest it can handle it.
    So what software/freeware would you recommend?
    1. Go from 1080p 59fps to 1080p 29fps?
    2. Go from 1080p 59fps to 1080i 59fps?
    3. Go from 1080p 59fps to 720p 59fps?

These are my 3 re-encoding/downgrading options. What software/freeware is out there to try all 3 and see which one plays best on my blu-ray disc using my PS3?
    You have to join your clips together at some point.

1. Do not do that, this conversion is only good for web , YouTube etc., do it in Sony Vegas Movie Studio
    you can choose export with smart resample , this will kind of interpolate frames, or with disable resample for each clip. It depends what you prefer , what was shutter speed for originals ...

2. Sony Vegas Movie Studio, export to BD
    3.Try Sony Vegas Movie Studio also, export to BD

I'd myself would do all of this with Avisynth and x264 encoders but I do not want to go into this because you have to, on the top of that, get BD compliant raw h.264 stream ,BD compliant audio, and then just mux it with TsMuxer as BDMV, it is too advanced.

Or as you were told to try those multiAVCHD or avchdcoder , but I cannot tell much about those, not sure if they can reencode to BD compliant streams if you load your 60p videos there. I'd prefer some kind of video-editor to make some sense to it, movies, clips out of folder full of clips that your Panasonic recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Bigasoft total video converter. This is gonna be a big project to join all these clips (about 140 clips). I also do have Sony Vegas movie studio too.
    James
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing poisondeathray that I don't understand. I placed those 1080p 59fps m2ts clips from my camcorder to my computer and then to a Datastick Pro USB 2.0 32GB stick. I then put that USB stick into PS3 and it plays perfectly. So if it is the PLAYER, why would the video NOT stutter in this instance?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  24. 1080p60 to 1080i30 AviSynth script:

Code:
    WhateverSource("video.ext")  # 1080p60 input
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave() # 1080i30 output
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    One other thing poisondeathray that I don't understand. I placed those 1080p 59fps m2ts clips from my camcorder to my computer and then to a Datastick Pro USB 2.0 32GB stick. I then put that USB stick into PS3 and it plays perfectly. So if it is the PLAYER, why would the video NOT stutter in this instance?
    James

It won't stutter everywhere - only in some sections . Same with older BD players. Some play it (almost) fine, until some sections will it will start to stutter.

I would test some more before you claim it plays "perfectly". Or maybe you have a PS3 on steroids

It's a known fact that PS3 won't play these correctly, but maybe there is some variation between units? For example, _Al_ says his WDTV plays these ok, but many people have problems - a known issue
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why don't you just buy a new BD player that supports AVCHD 2.0 and edit and author and burn your footage to that spec? No conversion necessary (assuming your tv also supports 60p).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    maybe there is some variation between units? For example, _Al_ says his WDTV plays these ok, but many people have problems - a known issue
    Particular behavior depends on firmware installed because WD use to kind of screw new firmwares all the time. Owners of WDTV units, as soon as things work, must not upgrade unit firmware. And there is a second thing going on, there are three or four , not sure now, different models released with the same name. Management of WD caused that people cannot understand each other because I might talk about one unit and other guy has a different unit. On the top of that older WDTV Live model handle Panasonics 60p better than newer model.
    WDTV's are very good players but those things above causes a lots of misunderstandings.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I just did a test , I have here 13s Panasonic 50p TM700 video clip. Clip plays ok, I know it is quite short clip. WDTV Live Plus fw 1.06.16B ,accidentally upgraded recently to latest fw unfortunately by my son, but it still works.

Then I joined that clip one after another in Avidemux 2.6.0 to 1min 17s length and rewrapped into mkv. It played ok also.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia, do you know what models have the newer 2.0 AVCHD specs? I may do that, but in the meantime, I want the video on a bd-r for my family to watch. I noticed that going from 1080p 59fps to 720p 59fps didn't seem to degrade that much to me, at least to me it seemed about the same when I viewed it.
    Quote Quote  
  30. This AVCHD 2.0 spec is a bit late to the party! --- I would suggest that commercial BD releases aren't likely to be changing anytime soon?
    Apart from that, the 'mainstream' uptake for BD-R discs has been painfully slow. (Understandably --why would folk do the whole 'disc' thing all over again, now that there are so many viable alternatives?)

So in your position, I'd convert to 720/ 60p for your family BD-R. As you have already noted, the quality drop isn't that great.

For the future, if you want to watch your 1080/60p videos at full quality, just use a media player like the one I linked to in your other thread (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/350889-Are-there-any-media-players-that-play-1080p-...=1#post2200502 )

BD-R using AVCHD 2.0 is almost certainly dead on the vine. Introduced too late to be of any real use....
    Quote Quote