VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok so I have a problem that I have no idea how to fix. Usually I have Blu-Ray rips in mkv and when there are subtitles needed I just use mkvtoolnix to hardcore them to the file so that I don't have to bother turning them on when I want to watch the movie on my Blu-Ray player. Problem is I have an mkv file movie that is in side by side 3D. I'd like to play this movie on my 3D TV through my 3D Blu-Ray player, but the movie requires subtitles. I have the .srt file for the movie but it is formatted for the 2D version of the movie so when I turn on the subtitles they show in the middle of both side by side pictures, which will cause a problem once I set my 3D TV to the 3D setting and it merges the two images. I posted this in the mac section because I'm using a mac computer and figured this would be where I could find the most knowledgable help. What I'd like to do is make it so the subtitles show on both side by side pictures so that when they two pictures merge the subtitles match up and are readable. If anyone knows a way to fix this could you please help me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are literally NO tools with which to fix this on a Mac - must use PC tools. Please read the other 3D subs threads I've posted to; that will help you somewhat toward your goal. Come back here once you are further along. Most likely, you will have to re-encode (maybe twice - ouch!).

If you are VERY lucky, and your player has no trouble with MKV+SRT+3Dsbs, you could use a text editor (a Mac one, even) and manually dupe the text in the lines & add blank spaces in between to fix the layout to fall within Sbs boundaries.

Then it's a matter of fit, depending upon the subs rendering engine of your player (and its options regarding fonts). You may have to manually reformat the lines if the unsqueezed display looks too fat & messy.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i take the easy way out for subs in 3d mkvs. open the 2d srt in a text editor. add 40 spaces before each line. it will move the subs onto the right half of the SBS video only, and display centered when the tv is switched to 3d.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @aedipuss, you realize that doing it that way, only one eye is seeing the subs and you have "retinal rivalry" (this time in the form of "flickering") because of it. Not so good for your eyestrain...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hehe it looks fine. unless you close the wrong eye by itself you can't tell. no flickering, it's to fast to register on the brain.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For some, not for others. For some people, strong retinal rivalry makes them throw up. (not me, thank God!)

Plus, it does make your eyes have to do greater saccadian movement (they don't "parse" the same objects in space at the same time) and work harder with the focus/accommodation/convergence business, so it makes it less likely for your brain to automatically think "this is in real physical space" like 3D is supposed to (kind of along the lines of breaking the "willing suspension of disbelief").

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol, poor them. everyone who's watched the "one eyed" subs here has been fine. i tried for days to align 3d sub in both sides to show as a single line of text, but it just isn't possible for SBS videos with srt subs.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    lol, poor them. everyone who's watched the "one eyed" subs here has been fine. i tried for days to align 3d sub in both sides to show as a single line of text, but it just isn't possible for SBS videos with srt subs.
    ?!! Sure it's possible. But it doesn't need to be a single line, can be multiple lines. In fact, with SbS, it makes more sense to use smaller segments of multiple lines (no stretch/overlap problem). Aligning for T/B is alot harder (because of arbitrary line spacing of device-dependent text renderers).

Scott
    Quote Quote