1. Hello,
    I have this problem:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	g1c8z5e1x93ghr5slswh.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	14604

Video example:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14605&stc=1&d=1352232822

How do i fix it?

Thanks for the helpers
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You need a TBC. Others can suggest ones for you. I don't keep up with specific models because I have a video capture card with a TBC that can handle this issue.

What the hell is the technical term for the OP's problem?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    gil900-in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You need a TBC. Others can suggest ones for you. I don't keep up with specific models because I have a video capture card with a TBC that can handle this issue.

I read about it a little here ..

From what I understand, it does what the algorithm can do without having to buy anything ..

Or I do not understand?

It looks to me like a problem that could be corrected with an algorithm ..

Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    gil900-in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time.
    I'm sorry ..
    Believe me, I really want to give name to this problem ..
    But English it is not my first language and I do not know 100% english ..

So I gave a picture so that you will understand the problem ..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's called ripping (and sometimes "tearing", as to tear the top from a sheet of paper), or flagging. A line tbc or tbc pass-thru is required, as well as a good player. Often a full-frame TBC is also required in the circuit. Several samples are posted here using a DVD player for tbc pass-thru:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331681-s-video-artifacts?p=2141386&viewfull=1#post2141386
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 13:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Swing Time? Just buy the Astaire-Rogers boxset as I did and get all the good ones together, all looking great. No tearing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The accurate technical video term is actually "tearing".

It is often fixed by an internal JVC/Panasonic S-VHS VCR TBC, but not always.
    One of the only fool-proof fixes to date is by way of the Panasonic ES10 in passthrough.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    It's called ripping (and sometimes "tearing", as to tear the top from a sheet of paper), or flagging. A line tbc or tbc pass-thru is required, as well as a good player. Often a full-frame TBC is also required in the circuit. Several samples are posted here using a DVD player for tbc pass-thru:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331681-s-video-artifacts?p=2141386&viewfull=1#post2141386
    So what does this mean?
    Need to buy a hardware device for that?

If so then I'm not going for it because this problem occurs about one minute in the tape..

I want to know - i can fix it without a hardware device? With an algorithm?

If not then leave it ..

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can't fix it with software. If it's on the original tape, you need a line level tbc or DVD plsyer as tbc pass-thru. If it has been encoded to MPG or other digital format, it's there forever.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 13:42.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    You can't fix it with software. If it's on the original tape, you need a line level tbc or DVD plsyer as tbc pass-thru. If it has been encoded to MPG or other digital format, it's there forever.
    A little disappointing .. But at least it happens only for a minute so not too bad ..

But I think there is a way that a algorithm know how to identify and correct the problem.
    I had an idea ..

But it must be very difficult to program (and I really can not do it) ..
    Quote Quote  
  11. There have been a few people who have made attempts at solving it with software, but to my knowledge, none have been successful.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    There have been a few people who have made attempts at solving it with software, but to my knowledge, none have been successful.
    You mean they were trying to create an algorithm for that?

I thought the algorithm can correct the problem by this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gk2txg2uhv0h38of2o4j.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	14608

The algorithm will stretch the image to get to a straight black line ..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Interesting approach. Well, if you're trying to write an algorithm that would solve this specific problem for this specific clip, it might be possible depending on the footage, but not in terms of a general solution.

Looking at this clip, I don't think it would even work for that. What do you do with the top of the frame, especially when the camera comes in for a close-up? You'd end up with a mess. I think your playback deck has some issues too, how do other home recorded tapes play?

This is an 'at playback' signal problem that can be fixed 100% at playback and without any stretching of the image. You can pick up a Panasonic ES-10 for between $50 and $100 on eBay, that'd probably be the best bet if you're not interested in another VCR. I'm sure there is someone willing with that piece of equipment that could do it for you for less than that as well.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    Interesting approach. Well, if you're trying to write an algorithm that would solve this specific problem for this specific clip, it might be possible depending on the footage, but not in terms of a general solution.

Looking at this clip, I don't think it would even work for that. What do you do with the top of the frame, especially when the camera comes in for a close-up? You'd end up with a mess. I think your playback deck has some issues too, how do other home recorded tapes play?

This is an 'at playback' signal problem that can be fixed 100% at playback and without any stretching of the image. You can pick up a Panasonic ES-10 for between $50 and $100 on eBay, that'd probably be the best bet if you're not interested in another VCR. I'm sure there is someone willing with that piece of equipment that could do it for you for less than that as well.
    I'm not trying to write an algorithm .. I wish I could.

I just gave an idea because it might help someone else ..

I will consider the matter seriously if one of my tapes is with this problem at all the time ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gil900 View Post
    I'm not trying to write an algorithm .. I wish I could. I just gave an idea because it might help someone else ..
    I'm already working with a developer on this.
    I'm feeding him piles of crappy video samples to work with.

It may or may not ever bear fruit. We'll see!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I'm not trying to write an algorithm .. I wish I could. I just gave an idea because it might help someone else ..

I am very glad to hear that!

If you want, I can send you a longer sample to help you with this
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Last message was in 2012,

Did you mange to develop a software solution to fix TBC yet?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frosti7 View Post
    No. But yet another dev is working on it, and I'm feeding him samples to work with, as I find time.
    Quote Quote  
  19. [QUOTE=lordsmurf;2198178]
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The accurate technical video term is actually "tearing".

One of the only fool-proof fixes to date is by way of the Panasonic ES10 in passthrough.
    ..Or with a cheaper (in price, not features) Sony RDR HXD870 model (or similar: 890,1070,970): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA5aH_olAQ
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

No. Hardware only.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM

No. Hardware only.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

@lordsmurf, I'm curious it has been over 10 years, but did the developer ever created such a tool? Is there any software solution to this yet?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Someone posted a link to software he is working on that claims to somewhat help with certain types of TBC errors. Here is a link to that software:

https://github.com/rsnitsch/vhs-deshaker

You can see some of his posts in this forum by clicking here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/search.php?do=finduser&userid=305278&contenttype=vBForum_P...st&showposts=1
    Quote Quote