VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to convert a single layer dvd disc to a dual-layer dvd disc? If so how would I do that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why?

Making it bigger wont make the quality better.

Or do you mean a single layer double sided to a dual layer?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It is possible? Yes. You would have to re-encode the video at a higher bit rate. But the question betrays a lack of understanding as doing the re-encoding cannot in any way make the original any better and could possibly make it worse. If you must do this, I'd suggest learning AviSynth and using HCenc to do the encoding from an AviSynth script. There are limits on DVD as to how high the bit rate can go and if the video is short you can actually have a case where at maximum bit rate 25% or more of the dual layer DVD won't even be used.

If by some chance you are actually asking a horribly worded version of "I have two single layer DVDs where a movie was split in half between the two discs and I'd like to combine them into one dual layer disc" then that is completely different.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Or you could take the easiest route and just burn your video to a dual-layer disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just want to add more files to an already burned DVD-R so I figured I'd ask...

Another question I have so, Is there anyway to burn-over a DVD-R that is already finalized? Kind of like taping over something on a VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, it is impossible to burn over a DVD-R.
    You will need to copy contents you already have and add more to it, using a new dual-layer.
    DVD+R dual layer
    Quote Quote