VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I finally got around to try a 3D conversion with DVDFab.

But first, what the heck happened to DVDFab's supposed ability to re-encode a 3D Blu-Ray to BD25 as "true" 3D BD? I used the latest version and can't find it in the options. Was it removed?

Anyway, I ripped The Avengers 3D BD to hard drive using clone disc. I then used the preset for T/B, AC3, high quality TS file. The re-encode took ~ 4 hours and output file size was ~ 8 GB. As I expected, there is pronounced banding/posterization in dark areas. Those are not the only faults one could find, but it's probably not necessary to go on.

Here's the strange part: The subtitles sometimes seemed to be way out in front, sometimes far back, and often very hard to get my eyes to focus on. Besides which, the overall 3D effect is very minimal, not like the original.

Has anyone else tested DVDFab's 3D re-encoding? Have you seen anything similar to what I've described?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what version did you use? looks to me like you have to use dvdfab blue-ray copy not their 3d ripper to get disc copies of 3d-
    Note that you can clone 3D BD with the same effect like the original disc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    One of our veteran members posted on what DVDFab actually does when it encodes 3D BD files. It's not as great a process as you seem to think. It converts the BD source to something like side by side if I remember correctly, but don't bet the house on my remembrance. If I remember correctly, Cornucopia is the member who has posted about what it actually does. The only way to be sure that your 3D BD rips won't have issues is to burn them as exact copies without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been experimenting as well and for me the most reliable method is to use 3D Ripper mode to MKV SBS. Looks good on my Samsung 65" LED. When I get a 3D Bluray standalone player I will simply play the disc - no one under 18 in this household and ankle biters not welcomed
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, that would be me.

Can't expound on that right now as I'm knee deep in restoring a corrupted media server (power supply problems).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    what version did you use? looks to me like you have to use dvdfab blue-ray copy not their 3d ripper to get disc copies of 3d-
    Note that you can clone 3D BD with the same effect like the original disc.
    Latest version, the one linked here in the tools section. (I chose top/bottom rather than side-by-side because supposedly that's better on a passive 3D TV, and Scott confirmed that.)

Clone disc first to hard drive, then the re-encode to T/B transport stream.

I could have sworn that at one point Fab introduced the option to re-encode a 3D BD to BD25, not as T/B or SbS, but as true 3D BD. So either I'm mistaken or it was removed.

Not that it matters, I only have one 3D TV and one 3D BD standalone. So it's not like I need to back up my 3D BDs. But I was willing to have a go and waste a disc just to satisfy my curiosity. When I couldn't find that option, I did the T/B encode instead.

Anyway, I didn't expect much (sorry Fengtao), but the result is peculiar, the subtitles especially.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Alright, found this in the changelog:

August 3, 2012
    DVDFab 8.2.0.0 Qt updated!

New: Added support to copy 3D "main movie" to Blu-ray BD25 with "Copy as Blu-ray 3D" option selected.

Which is what I thought, and must have missed in the options somehow. I'll have to look again.

[EDIT] It's in Blu-Ray Copy. Duh. Trying it now.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 4th Nov 2012 at 06:25.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did main movie and it supposedly completed successfully. Burned it to a BD-RE and put it in my standalone player (LG BD670). The 3D logo appears on my TV, then...nothing. I hit the 3D button and get asked if I want to do 3D -> 2D. So it's recognized as a 3D BD, but won't play. Hmm, guess I'll try another movie, and maybe also try full disc.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, it's just not gonna happen. I tried full disc and was momentarily hopeful it would work, as the menu did come up. Then nothing.

Has anyone got this to actually work?

Bueller?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have not tried this at all.

What kind of disc did you burn to for the full disc? Did you burn with ImgBurn or something else? I can tell you that just like with DVDs, the ONLY reliable BD-RE discs I've ever used are made by Verbatim. I've got one Sony BD-RE and I wish I never bought it because my player hates it and it's basically useless to me.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Burned with ImgBurn, of course, which hasn't failed me yet. I used a Verbatim BD-RE, which my player (LG BD670) has no problem playing. Actually, just to be sure of that, I burned a known good 2D BD ISO to it after the above failures. It played fine, as expected. To be absolutely sure, I wasted a BDR blank as a final test. It ain't happening.

Funny you mentioned Verbatim BD-REs. I bought two, some months ago, and one was no good from the start. Dunno much about BD-RE reliability, but DVD-RWs were always unpredictable for me. One might last dozens and dozens or writes/erasures, another would be kaput after a few writes.

My test discs were The Avengers and John Carter 3D BDs, trying both main movie and full disc. From ISO image *and* direct from disc. Fab always finished the encode and claimed success. It's hard to believe I screwed anything up (once I found the option in Blu-Ray Copy). The layout and process seem to be straightforward.

Anyway, has nobody used DVDFab to re-encode a 3D BD to BD25 3D BD? Maybe it's my player?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi Fritzi..did you ever work this out or have any luck copying the 3d disc to disc and have it work? I had the exact same experience with avatar 3d. The copy was done as a disc copy 3d to 25 gb. once using the save to HD and once using disc to disc
    So far the HD copied back to disc gave me the menu and the option asking to play in 3d or 2d and when I select 3d it simply goes back tot he menu screen. it will play nicely in 2d though. Also the minute the disc goes inot my LG player it shows in 3d ok and the menu screen is also in 3d...but no luck playing once I select 3D
    Anyone have any experience with it? DVDFAB BLU RAY COPY 3D
    I am also wondering about trying dvdcloners version of Bluray cloner they profess to do a 3d disc copy in similar options.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Nah, I gave it up, having decided it was a waste of time. Maybe they'll get it working properly in a future version.

I have to wonder though, since 3D is a niche anyway, whether there's much of a demand for 3D re-encoders. Mind you, I like my passive 3D TV, but I sure wouldn't want to watch everything in 3D. And the majority of folks are indifferent to 3D (in a home theater) at best.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi again,
    I spent the night researching this and came across a good thread on it at the dvdfab forum.
    http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=20355&page=5
    enduser9999 seems to be having simililar troubles
    I even wondered about my standalone 3d player (LGBP620) being not able to watch the burned discs in 3d?
    Anyhow I am following the instructions he had laid out right now to a tee with a Thor 3D disc...will see what happens.
    I had another issue last night where after doing a full copy it finishes looking at the original disc or file and when it comes up with looking for writeable media it does not kick out the original disc nor does it recognise the blank BD25 disc I have put in the drive...
    So trying the above instructions to see if it is different. ( no shortcuts)

cheers
    Quote Quote