VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Most movies are larger than the 4.7 Gb allowed on most DVD's

How can I overcome this problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Buy dual layer DVDs or use DVDFabDecrypter - DVDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Many thanks, will give it a try
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hang on a bit. I think I didn't make my self completely clear. I'm wanting to burn full length movies from my HDD to a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your response begs these questions...

How did you get the movies to your HDD in the first place?

What format are they?

Normally, DVD movies exceeding 4.7Gb can be shrunk with DVDShrink, even if the files are on HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are these movies MKVs or MP4s? If so you can split them using MKVMergeGUI for MKVs (probably YAMB for MP4) and then burn the split files onto two blank DVD5 discs. You can re-join them later if need be.
    Short of that, if you want to shrink the video files you'll probably have to re-encode either the audio, video, or both.

If you've got a lot of files to burn, you might consider doing yourself a favour and investing in a Bluray burner.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The movies are in MPG format.

I'm using Compro Videomate
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ramosis View Post
    The movies are in MPG format.

I'm using Compro Videomate
    There's your problem. Use a GOOD ripper + shrinker + burner combination (already been mentioned: DVDFabDecrypter & DVDShrink & ImgBurn).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Scott,

I'm recording directly from the TV to my PC. I'm using AVStoDVD and Image Burn.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DVD Shrink works on fully authored DVD images. You need to author to DVD9 VIDEO_TS structure first, then use DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @ramosis,
    You don't say which models yours is, but the VideoMate Vista TT750F (for example) records DVB+Analog as MPEG2 Video & MP2 audio. If yours is like this, you will need to re-encode your audio to AC3 for it to be both NTSC-DVD-compliant and bitrate efficient. And you should only use the 720x480 resolution (assuming you ARE in NTSC-land).
    Once you have a 720x480 (that's MP@ML MPEG2) video and AC3 audio (~128-256kbps @ 48kHz), your clips SHOULD be DVD-compliant, and then you can use a number of good apps to AUTHOR it to a true DVD folder structure (hopefully without re-encoding). Then, if it still happens to be over 4.37GB, you use something like DVDShrink or DVDRebuilder on the AUTHORED Video_TS folder and shrink it down to under 4.37GB (which DOES re-encode, but you can't help that) and you will be ready to burn with ImgBurn.

BTW, it helps greatly if you were more clear and detailed from the beginning about what you had and how you did things and what you wanted in the end. Then we can understand more quickly and help more efficiently. Otherwise, it's often "back to the drawing board".

Scott

edit: if you are using AVS2DVD, you should be able to re-encode both the audio+video to DVD-compliant assets as well as keeping them under the appropriate bitrate limits, which bypasses the need for DVDShrink/DVDRebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DVD Shrink is only useful if you only need to shrink by 10 percent or so, or if you need to shrink very quickly. Otherwise you will get better quality if you re-encode the source to DVD compliant specs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Eh, I'd say up to ~17%, but otherwise, you're right. And it certainly doesn't make sense to re-encode twice. Much better to get it done right the first time with a better encoding tool (HCEnc, for example).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. My apologies for not giving more detailed information. Let me start from the beginning and I hope you will indulge me.

First of I'm on Win XP Pro 32bit

I'm using Video Mate M1F

Basically what I'm trying to do is copy videos on my hard drive ( which I have recorded directly from the TV) onto DVD.

Most videos are larger than 4.7 Gb and I need to 'compress' them.

Software that I have includes, Image Burn, Avidemux, AVStoDVD and DVD Shrink.

Now do I have the correct software to do the job? If not what do I need?

Many Thanks for your patience and interest in my problem.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ramosis View Post
    Basically what I'm trying to do is copy videos on my hard drive ( which I have recorded directly from the TV) onto DVD.
    This still isn't clear. Do you want to make a movie DVD that will play in an DVD player? Video that works in a DVD player must conform to DVD standards (MPEG 2, bitrate and resolution restrictions, etc). Or do you just want to burn data discs with your video files on them? Like you can burn a bunch of Word documents onto a DVD. Obviously, no DVD player knows what to do with DOC files. That would simply be for backup or transfer purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Correct I want to be able to play the DVD's on a DVD p
    Quote Quote  
  17. Correction, I want to be able to play the DVD's on a DVD Player
    Quote Quote  
  18. Use AVStoDVD, if you have trouble, post here the project log file, which contains useful info about the source file and the encoding process.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote