VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure where to post this so perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.
    Every now and then I transfer video tape footage to my DVD Recorder and from there to disc. Normally everything works fine until to-day.
    My VCR is connected to my DVD Recorder via an S-Video and the required red and white phono jacks, minus the yellow jack which is not needed if using S-Video.
    I press play on my VCR then press Record on my DVD Recorder, the video footage is then recorded onto the Hard Drive on my DVD Recorder as it should.
    However, my DVD Recorder now records the video signal (footage) in Black & White only even though the VCR playback is in colour.
    Anyone any ideas as to how my DVD Recorder now only records the VCR signal in B&W ? This has happened all of a sudden despite the fact that all the cables are secure and as far as I'm aware I'm not doing anything different which could cause this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Robert the Bruce View Post
    My VCR is connected to my DVD Recorder via an S-Video and the required red and white phono jacks
    That's not S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Make sure the DVD recorder is set to record from the s-video input, not the composite (yellow RCA) input. Internally, the s-video luma pin and the composite pin are shared. If the DVD recorder is set to record from the composite input it will see the s-video luma input which will appear as black and white.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    My VCR is connected to my DVD Recorder via an S-Video and the required red and white phono jacks
    That's not S-Video.
    What isn't ? As I said, my VCR is (for the purposes of recording video tape only) connected to my DVD recorder with an S-Video cable and the red and white phono cables. This is correct. Nothing has changed and yet this problem appeared.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's not S-Video.
    What isn't ? As I said, my VCR is (for the purposes of recording video tape only) connected to my DVD recorder with an S-Video cable and the red and white phono cables. This is correct. Nothing has changed and yet this problem appeared.
    You're right. I read that wrong. My reading glasses were in the bathroom.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This wouldn't happen to be an imported/NTSC tape would it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Make sure the DVD recorder is set to record from the s-video input, not the composite (yellow RCA) input. Internally, the s-video luma pin and the composite pin are shared. If the DVD recorder is set to record from the composite input it will see the s-video luma input which will appear as black and white.
    My DVD recorder IS set to record (as far as I'm aware) from the S-Video cable, the yellow composite cable is not attached to my VCR or my DVD recorder in any way.
    Before I record onto my DVD recorder I switch the Input from L1 to L2 (Line 1 to Line 2) as suggested in the manual, i.e. if L1 is tuned to the decoder, which it is. I then switch over from HDMI-1 (my TV) to AV-2 so that I can see the video footage. Press play on the VCR and record on the DVD recorder and the recorder is then supposed to record what I see on screen, i.e. the video footage.
    But since this problem arose, when I switch over to L2 (on the DVD recorder) I'm getting a TV signal in B&W (?????) whereas before I got nothing, just a black screen (which is the way it's supposed to be), i.e. until I go from HDMI-1 to AV-2.
    However, just in case I'm wrong, how do I find out if my recorder is set to record from the S-Video input rather than the composite yellow. I'm 99.9% certain all the cables are where they should be because I haven't moved or changed anything since the previous time I recorded video footage which turned out fine. This problem has appeared quite literally out of the blue.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This wouldn't happen to be an imported/NTSC tape would it?
    Nope.
    As I said, as soon as I switch from L1 to L2 on the DVD recorder I see B&W tv when I should see a blank screen. Don't understand why a TV signal is there at all. The TV comes through L1 not L2. I'm convinced it's something simple...........I hope.
    New information. If I press play on my VCR and then press Input/Line 2 on my DVD recorder I shouldn't see what I'm now seeing. The video playback is coming through L2 in black and white. I shouldn't see anything but a black screen at this stage. I then go to AV-2 using my TV remote and the video signal is there as it should be - in colour. So, the recorder, it seems, is recording the video signal not from the AV-2 channel but from the b&w signal which is somehow coming through the HDMI-1 channel. What gives ?
    Last edited by Robert the Bruce; 31st Oct 2012 at 12:18. Reason: New info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well on my dvd-recorder you have to phyiscally change the AV video setting from 'Video-In' to 'S-Video-In' both of which appear on AV3 (front access)

IIRC there is also a S-Video connector on the back but that is Video-Out.

You are also not confusing the record input for the recorder to the play output that goes to the tv even if this is not connected since you are using HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=DB83;2196988]Well on my dvd-recorder you have to phyiscally change the AV video setting from 'Video-In' to 'S-Video-In' both of which appear on AV3 (front access)

IIRC there is also a S-Video connector on the back but that is Video-Out.

You are also not confusing the record input for the recorder to the play output that goes to the tv even if this is not connected since you are using HDMI.[/QUOTE
    Not sure if I follow you. All I can say is that everything worked perfectly well until to-day and yet I didn't touch or change anything.
    S-Video cable from VCR-Out (back of VCR unit) to S- Video-In on the DVD recorder, front of. Red and White audio cables from back of VCR to front of DVD recorder. Yellow not used.
    Change DVD recorder from Line 1 to Line 2.
    Change TV from HDMI-1 to AV-2.
    Insert video tape and press play.
    Press record on DVD recorder.
    DVD now records video signal/footage.
    Have I got that right ?
    However, now what is happening is that as soon as I switch from Line 1 to Line 2 on the DVD recorder, I'm seeing, first of all, a TV channel (whichever one I was watching previously) and then when I insert the video tape and press play I see the signal/footage from that video tape but in black and white and this is BEFORE I even move from HDMI-1 to AV-2. In other words, I shouldn't be able to see the video tape material until I change from HDMI-1 to AV-2 and from Line 1 to Line 2 but I'm seeing black and white video footage nevertheless before, as I say, change to AV-2 but AFTER I change from Line 1 to Line 2. Jeez, I'm even confusing myself.
    I hope someone is following this and understands what I'm talking about. How can things change without doing anything to cause the change in the first place ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am merley quoting how my dvd-recorder is set up. The incoming s-video is on the front of the set. This is known as AV3 or 'Line 3'

The problem in trying to help is that Line 1,Line 2 or more will differ from model to model. With mine, only AV3 has s-video input (to record) and there is a menu setting to change from video input (the yellow plug) to s-video.

To make matters worse, and this could be happening to you, some dvd-recorders WILL allow you to record from the same input as you get from a tv channel - it works for both input AND output.

The best I can now suggest is you post the model number of your dvd-recorder. We can then check the manual just in case you have over-looked the obvious.

How could this happen ?. Maybe you had a power issue and the recorder setting were returned to default.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I am merley quoting how my dvd-recorder is set up. The incoming s-video is on the front of the set. This is known as AV3 or 'Line 3'

The problem in trying to help is that Line 1,Line 2 or more will differ from model to model. With mine, only AV3 has s-video input (to record) and there is a menu setting to change from video input (the yellow plug) to s-video.

To make matters worse, and this could be happening to you, some dvd-recorders WILL allow you to record from the same input as you get from a tv channel - it works for both input AND output.

The best I can now suggest is you post the model number of your dvd-recorder. We can then check the manual just in case you have over-looked the obvious.

How could this happen ?. Maybe you had a power issue and the recorder setting were returned to default.
    DVD Recorder - Sony RDR-HXD970
    VCR - JVC HR-S8700EK
    TV - Panasonic TX-32LXD70
    It's very curious. At the risk of repeating myself, I turn on the TV, the VCR, the Sat box, the DVD Recorder. Use the TV remote to make sure I'm at HDMI-1. Change DVD Recorder from L1 to L2 and this is when I see the black and white TV channel.
    I then insert a video tape and press play on the VCR remote, I then see the video footage but only in b&w.
    When I change (using the TV remote) from HDMI-1 to AV-2 I then see the video material as it should be, in colour. However, if I then press record (using the DVD recorder remote) the recorder will record in b&w only. So, it's recording not from the AV-2 but from HDMI-1, I presume. It never used to do that.
    When I change from L1 to L2 I shouldn't see ANYTHING. Only when I change to AV-2 should I see, firstly, a TV channel then after pressing play on the VCR, the video footage. It's at this point where I should be able to press record on the DVD recorder and the video signal/footage should record as it should.
    The last time it worked properly was some video footage I'd transferred from my camcorder to video tape some years ago and recently I decided to put this video footage onto the Hard Drive of my DVD recorder and from there to disc. At least, that was the plan.
    However, after successfully transferring the video footage to the hard-drive I identically deleted/erased it. So I tried again but this time suddenly the video would only record to the hard-drive in b&w. Strange thing is and I don't if this has any bearing on things but the video footage was in slow-motion. I'd recorded the footage in slow-motion on purpose. Could this slow-motion video footage have knocked the recorder out of sync or something. Know what I mean ? Maybe confused it ? It's a long shot but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
    Quote Quote  
  13. According to the Sony RDR-HXD970 manual the s-video connector on the back of the recorder is an output, not an input.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the Sony RDR-HXD970 manual the s-video connector on the back of the recorder is an output, not an input.
    Right, OK. So what are you telling me ? Other than what you've typed above, I mean.
    I'm not using the S-Video output on the back of the recorder. I'm using the S-Video connection on the FRONT of the recorder. As I stated in a previous post, S-Video cable from the back of the VCR to the front of the DVD recorder. Hope that clears that up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to the Sony RDR-HXD970 manual the s-video connector on the back of the recorder is an output, not an input.
    That will save me looking this up.

I have a Sony HDD/DVD-recorder model family HXD790,890,1090,795,895,995, 1090 - exact model I do not recall and, as I previously said, the incoming s-video is on the front.

No, the slo-mo has no effect on playback AFAIK. What might influence playback if if you are using a VCR that did not record the footage in the first place - I saw that once on a VHS that had been transfered from a camera and the playback was not at the right speed.

A recording on to VCR at long-play could play back in B&W on a different VCR

Also was the latest transfer direct from the camera. I think you said not. Can you actually see colour from the VCR (try a composite connection instead of s-video) without trying to record from it ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right, OK. So what are you telling me ? Other than what you've typed above, I mean.
    I'm not using the S-Video output on the back of the recorder. I'm using the S-Video connection on the FRONT of the recorder. As I stated in a previous post, S-Video cable from the back of the VCR to the front of the DVD recorder. Hope that clears that up.
    Well you could have said that before. Would have saved some typing. Now check your recorder setting as on my Sony there is a setting that you have to physically change from 'video-in' to 's-video-in'
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Now check your recorder setting as on my Sony there is a setting that you have to physically change from 'video-in' to 's-video-in'
    I already told him that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have checked the manual and my own Sony. In fact the manuals, and models are quite similar.

It seems that you can not set Line 2 - front panel - and it seems that the signal takes what it finds. You, obviously, can not connect both composite and s-video at the same time.

Sorry for the confusion as I have another recorder. I believe the lines are named differently on that on so the front panel is not AV2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I re-read some of the earlier stuff since this topic is beginging to give me a confusing head-ache.

Video source for recording on to dvd-recorder = front = line2 . That seems right.

You then said words to the effect. "Changed tv from hdmi to AV2". Why ? Do you have a hdmi cable from the recorder to the tv ? If you do then the tv setting should not change. I did not check that part of the manual but you can not, on my Sony, have concurrent hdmi and anor output from the recorder. 'Line 2' for the tv usually means one of the scart connectors on the tv itself not an incoming source. There is no connection between Line 2 on the recorder and the tv.

The output from the recorder is not affecting on the tv. A video signal should pass through the recorder from its source (in your case the vcr) to the tv.

|I have a permanaent setup in this manner. So I only use the rear connectors.

Scart in to Line 1: (source is sat receiver) dvd-recorder records from Line 1
    hdmi from recorder to tv

I assume your vcr has a scart output. Why not do it this way ?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That will save me looking this up.

I have a Sony HDD/DVD-recorder model family HXD790,890,1090,795,895,995, 1090 - exact model I do not recall and, as I previously said, the incoming s-video is on the front.

No, the slo-mo has no effect on playback AFAIK. What might influence playback if if you are using a VCR that did not record the footage in the first place - I saw that once on a VHS that had been transfered from a camera and the playback was not at the right speed.

A recording on to VCR at long-play could play back in B&W on a different VCR

Also was the latest transfer direct from the camera. I think you said not. Can you actually see colour from the VCR (try a composite connection instead of s-video) without trying to record from it ?
    1. Not direct from a camcorder. Camcorder to VCR (some years ago - before I owned a DVD Recorder) then VCR to DVD Recorder.
    2. Yes, I can see colour playback from my VCR. I change (using the TV remote) from HDMI-1 to AV-2.
    3. But now, I can also see b&w video footage when I change to L2 (Line-2) on my DVD Recorder, my recorder records now THIS instead of the colour video footage coming through AV-2.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well you could have said that before. Would have saved some typing. Now check your recorder setting as on my Sony there is a setting that you have to physically change from 'video-in' to 's-video-in'
    I did mention it before. In post #10.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I will check the recorder settings and get back to you.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have checked the manual and my own Sony. In fact the manuals, and models are quite similar.

It seems that you can not set Line 2 - front panel - and it seems that the signal takes what it finds. You, obviously, can not connect both composite and s-video at the same time.

Sorry for the confusion as I have another recorder. I believe the lines are named differently on that on so the front panel is not AV2.
    I didn't say the front panel WAS AV-2. As I said before if I want to play and watch an old video tape I go to AV-2 using my TV remote. Simple.
    If I want to RECORD an old video tape I go to AV-2 as described above and also change the Input on the DVD Recorder from Line 1 to Line 2.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM

You are correct, Line 2 cannot be set using the System Menu on the DVD Recorder remote. There IS a Line 3 but this Line 3 does not exist on the front panel of the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before you check anything, read post #19 above. Then re-read it.

The ONLY way your tv can display a picture under Line 2 is if a device is plugged in to the socket on the tv that equates to Line 2. That could be a scart, composite or anything. What it is not is Line 2 on your dvd-recorder. That is just the video INPUT for recording purposes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let me ask one simple question.

What cable(s) do you have plugged into the tv and where do they come from ?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I re-read some of the earlier stuff since this topic is beginging to give me a confusing head-ache.

Video source for recording on to dvd-recorder = front = line2 . That seems right.

You then said words to the effect. "Changed tv from hdmi to AV2". Why ? Do you have a hdmi cable from the recorder to the tv ? If you do then the tv setting should not change. I did not check that part of the manual but you can not, on my Sony, have concurrent hdmi and anor output from the recorder. 'Line 2' for the tv usually means one of the scart connectors on the tv itself not an incoming source. There is no connection between Line 2 on the recorder and the tv.

The output from the recorder is not affecting on the tv. A video signal should pass through the recorder from its source (in your case the vcr) to the tv.

|I have a permanaent setup in this manner. So I only use the rear connectors.

Scart in to Line 1: (source is sat receiver) dvd-recorder records from Line 1
    hdmi from recorder to tv

I assume your vcr has a scart output. Why not do it this way ?
    In order to SEE the video tape footage I HAVE to change from HDMI-1 to AV-2.
    I have an HDMI cable from DVD Recorder direct to back of TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I will not copy the full reply as #27 above. This topic is getting long enough without that.

It is totally illogical to do that. The only source in to the tv is hdmi.

But I do wonder if you have changed some equipment since you last recorded this footage. Maybe the tv ?

As I said earlier, the picture that is dispalyed on the tv over hdmi is what is fed in to it from the unit that the cable is plugged in to ie the recorder. At the moment, you have two feeds - the decoder AND the VCR. I do wonder if there is a conflict here.

I would still try this by plugging the VCR in to a rear scart on the back of the dvd-recorder. That is if my memory serves me, line 1. You should Then see the picture from the VCR on the tv thro hdmi-1 and no possibility of any conflct. Otherwise unplug the decoder at the mains and try again. Even then the VCR picture should display as hdmi-1
    Quote Quote  
  29. You're not playing NTSC tapes in a PAL VCR are you? That might explain loss of color too.

<edit>
    Nevermind. I see you already said it wasn't an NTSC tape.
    </edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Nov 2012 at 19:32.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I will not copy the full reply as #27 above. This topic is getting long enough without that.

It is totally illogical to do that. The only source in to the tv is hdmi.

But I do wonder if you have changed some equipment since you last recorded this footage. Maybe the tv ?

As I said earlier, the picture that is dispalyed on the tv over hdmi is what is fed in to it from the unit that the cable is plugged in to ie the recorder. At the moment, you have two feeds - the decoder AND the VCR. I do wonder if there is a conflict here.

I would still try this by plugging the VCR in to a rear scart on the back of the dvd-recorder. That is if my memory serves me, line 1. You should Then see the picture from the VCR on the tv thro hdmi-1 and no possibility of any conflct. Otherwise unplug the decoder at the mains and try again. Even then the VCR picture should display as hdmi-1
    The HDMI cable (HDMI-1) which goes from the back of my DVD Recorder direct to my TV is for TV viewing purposes and DVD playback only. My Sat TV box is linked to my DVD Recorder via a Scart Cable which enables me to record Sat TV. It has to be this way because my Sat box does not have HDMI sockets. It's an old box. This is how L1 is used up. At least, I think that's right.
    I'm about to pull the TV and other units away from the wall to have a look at how everything is connected. Will get back to you.
    Quote Quote