VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I would like to fix the problem on the bright area in the image below. I just want to make it white.. but I really don't know how to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	highluma0000.png
Views:	277
Size:	826.6 KB
ID:	14505

When, I play with the Levels(), I notice that these pink areas remain stable.. I can darken or whiten the image completely, these areas (and only them) will always remain pink.

Also, is there a way to fix these annoying 'waves' on the film..

Click image for larger version

Name:	highluma20000.png
Views:	316
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	14506

Here is a sample to download : http://www.mediafire.com/?47bz11g1hf28y30

Thank you in advance for any advices
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something like this maybe:

Code:
    mask=ColorYUV(off_y=-200).ColorYUV(gain_y=20000)
    Overlay(last, ColorYUV(last,cont_u=-256, cont_v=-256), 0, 0, mask)
    You can fine tune it.

Or maybe a mask built from the U channel (U is very high where the purple colors are), or both Y and U. Or try a chroma key.

Chroma based mask:
    Code:
     mask=UtoY().BilinearResize(width,height).ColorYUV(off_y=-120).ColorYUV(gain_y=10000)
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Oct 2012 at 16:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you

The weird thing is that this purple area SHOULD be the brightest part.. but because of oversaturation, it becomes finally less bright than the rest. Is it due to a wrong YUV<->RGB convertion?

As a result, your script will paint in grey the purple areas which is not so nice..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mathmax View Post
    Thank you

The weird thing is that this purple area SHOULD be the brightest part.. but because of oversaturation, it becomes finally less bright than the rest. Is it due to a wrong YUV<->RGB convertion?
    Something like that.

Originally Posted by mathmax View Post
    As a result, your script will paint in grey the purple areas which is not so nice..
    You could try brightening the grey image before Overlay(). Try adding gain_y=20 to the ColorYUV() statement.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you..
    I tried to reduce the saturation for the light areas in Color Mill and the result is not so bad.. at least no limits are visible like with the use of a mask.
    But well.. I was hoping we could do better regarding this problem
    Last edited by mathmax; 1st Nov 2012 at 05:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you have any suggestion about the 'wave' effect?

[Attachment 14520 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'd probably leave the purple splotches. It' part of the charm of the video. Neat Video might help with the wavy bars.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Causes

-Caused by the lens originally
    I get purple halos even in my modern digital camera. One explanation is chromatic abberation, where some colors of light are bent differently than others leaving haloes, especially at the edges of the lens. That doesn't seem the case here.

-Caused by the camera originally
    The other reason is sensor saturation; maybe the green channels are clipped while the other channels are close to clipping, leaving a purplish colour.

It could be that due to the white balance of the camera, the raw green values were relatively boosted.

It can also come from non-linearity of the ADC near saturation which does happen, but that only applies to modern cameras.

If this is old footage, then a whole other set of camera artefacts apply from tube cameras. I'm not as familiar with these.

-Caused by VHS
    Finally it could be an effect of VHS, but I don't know the reason.

Solutions

To fix it, I'd try some techniques from re-colouring, like the colorit filters. They can be used to do a type of flood fill or to selectively replace all purple colours with white.

As for the wavy lines, you need vcmohamn's fan filter plugin, it's made just for this. (fan refers to the interference caused by a fan motor on a VHS on the same electrical branch circuit)

References

http://avisynth.org/vcmohan/ColorIt/ColorIt.html

http://avisynth.org/vcmohan/FanFilter/FanFilter.html
    Last edited by jmac698; 19th Nov 2012 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The pink flare is from a pink spotlight. You can see it's aimed at Michael and is directed onto the stage floor (pink circle in lower right). It's not supposed to be white.

[Attachment 14786 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by sanlyn; 24th Mar 2014 at 11:45.
    Quote Quote  
  10. my gut feeling tells me it's a chroma key issue (seeing that there is a label in the middle of the frame...)

old school chroma keyer... so 80's
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote