VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recorded a video on a Nikon P310 last weekend and it was accidentally deleted. The card it was recorded to was brand new and I immediately removed it to prevent anything from being overwritten. I am able to restore the file using Recuva (which says the state of the file is "excellent"), but when I try to view it in Quicktime I'm given the following error: Error 2048 - Couldn't open the file <filename> because it is not a file that quicktime understands.

I began researching this problem and immediately discovered this site: http://mp4repair.org/pwt6/preview.html. That site tells me that the audio and video tracks are intact, which leads me to believe it could be a problem with the headers.

I've done further research into that theory (replacing headers from a known good video from same camera) and that is where I'm hitting a wall. The corrupt video is almost 7 minutes long, 1080/30, so it consists of what seems like trillions of lines of code in a Hex Editor. The known good video that I'm using is only 6 seconds long, and I can find the "atoms" in each file (moov, trak, etc...) but I do not know where to start copying. For instance, how do I know where the header of the known good file begins and ends? How do I know what to copy and paste into the corrupted file to see if it works?

The video can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wjd6cmormvt8zex/WvrDPPswNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by ch12101; 30th Oct 2012 at 05:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The dropbox file is only 31kb?

edit: It works now. Downloading 915 mb....
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a short working sample from same camera?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    The dropbox file is only 31kb?

edit: It works now. Downloading 915 mb....
    Baldrick,

Thanks for looking at this. If that link ends up not working, I have the file being uploaded to a new share as we speak.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Do you have a short working sample from same camera?
    Yes I do. Give me a couple minutes and I'll post a link! Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's uploading into the same folder now. It is 6 seconds long and should be around 14-15MB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't look good. Tried video repair tool and some other stuff without success.

Maybe pay for mp4repair....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Man that sucks. Thank you for giving it a shot. I'll see if mp4repair can recover anything.
    Quote Quote