VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just letting everyone know, I am testing the new Beta ConvertX2dvd and it looks pretty good so far. Especially the function of subtitles. Subtitles contained in MKV files as well as ones with same name or manually selected with a different name seem to work fine. The good news is, except for a FEW glitches, SSA/ASS give full functionality. !!!

As I say, a few small bugs yet but this version has great abilities, from dvd file size up to 8.1 GB, customizable quality settings, functioning preview, conversion actually works well and it automatically picks up subtitles if contained in a video or named the same as the video you import.

Still testing but if you would like to try its available from this site. Just search for convertx2dvd or go to http://forums.vso-software.fr/convertxtodvd-5-beta-available-version-5-0-0-14-t16153.html and download or check the change log before trying.

UPDATE: This version 5.0.16 has an embed function for subtitles that hardcodes subtitles if you wish, instead of switchable subtitle tracks.
    Last edited by Budman1; 29th Oct 2012 at 21:33. Reason: additional information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx for the headsup, I will give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think it's a tough job making commercial software in a market inundated with freeware alternatives, and yet ConvertXtoDVD succeed because they make good product. The new beta is great, I hope they treat it as a stepping-stone to bigger & better things to come. Hardcoding subs, brightness/contrast controls, trimming video, they are all very good additions to version 4.

EDIT: Version 4 brought in CQ encoding which ruffled a few feathers because CQ encoding, by its very nature, does not "fill a DVD" (although quality is on par, if not exceeds full VBR). Version 5 beta has "maximize birate" option that will push it out to fill a DVD. Although when I tried it, it still came way short of 4.3GB, but then again, I've always been thoroughly happy with version 4's splendid CQ quality.
    Last edited by chowmein; 29th Oct 2012 at 22:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree whole heartedly and I believe they are doing just that. I was actually amazed that they not only fixed the new version 5 that I had a lot of issues with, but added features like you mentioned and better subtitle support for ASS and SSA which did not work fully in version 4. The developers have responded to suggestions and bug lists directly to have testers try new things to obtain or request more information so I think they are working on that bigger and better idea.

The fact that this product creates, on its own, menus for turning on or off subtitles, languages and other tracks, makes it unique from a lot of others I have tested. I too, like version 4 but have pushed for the SSA subtitle implementation and CX2D has made it work. Althought this is not freeware, it should become a great product for anyone needing subtitles and languages that can be selected.

I love it, especially the animated menus and the new menu formats being created for download.
    Quote Quote  
  5. EDIT: Version 4 brought in CQ encoding which ruffled a few features because CQ encoding, by its very nature, does not "fill a DVD" (although quality is on par, if not exceeds full VBR). Version 5 beta has "maximize birate" option that will push it out to fill a DVD. Although when I tried it, it still came way short of 4.3GB, but then again, I've always been thoroughly happy with version 4's splendid CQ quality.
    So nothing was broken in the ver 4 but they fixed it anyway ?! What a "lovely company".
    From my experience there was very negative impression from customers about the not filling the whole dvd thingy in ver 4 ( including me ) and i posted couple of treads there to get the answers right.
    Besides the most arrogant answers in a manner if you like it ok if not who cares ( we took your money already ), nobody there wanted to explain why cq which cant predict size ( i know that ) made such small files ( when should be making even bigger ones than the actual size of the dvd 5 which all other brands ( some big ones like mainconcept ) do).
    I sad it before this is good and fast program and has some very neat features but customer support is on the bottom of them all and team arrogance is even bigger turn off.

And in the end it is pay software and there are many free alternatives that do the job "right" (without the space thingy and yes they do have cg ( converttox didn't invent hot water ).
    Last edited by mammo1789; 30th Oct 2012 at 06:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand your post.

So nothing was broken in the ver 4 but they fixed it anyway ?! What a "lovely
    company".
    Is that just a negative comment because afterward you expound on the things that were wrong, including the support. It would appear that they fixed that as well as the 'size thingy' since I have email addresses of the support and developers. I asked for the program to be able to supply the functionality of SSA subtitles, which it did not in version 4, and they fixed. I asked about customizing the menus with new ones that are even animated and now I can. Someone else asked for it to hard code as well as allow soft subtitles with a menu to turn them on/off, it does this.

It really seems like they are fixing whatever people want and request in a congenial manner. My search engine must be broke because I looked for free and purchase software with all the features above and it only found those that only offered 'One size fits All' subtitles and no menu addition to turn on or off languages.

In the end there are many choices for many needs by many people. This is just one, as you have pointed out, and there are many others. That is why most software has a trial period, because it will work for some and not for others. It's a world of diversity and it's great that it is!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This software...in it's hey-day...was a darn good piece of software. It was about 2 or 3 years ago they started tinkering with the dvd-5 size thing and that ruined it completely. I have read and agree with what mammo1789 says. When they changed the output size thing where the files would end up 1/3 the size of an actual dvd, I was puzzled and got online to see what, if anything, had happened to this app. I came across the thread at their forum where their response was not even remotely close to acceptable. No company I've ever seen treated users with a response like.."we're right and your wrong...or it's gonna stay that way so get use to it" type of answer. When loads of users online are telling you that the quality is not good...common sense says you listen or take that into account. They didn't for years. I suppose thats why they quit updating this software for a long time in here cause of the negative reviews.

To me, I never found a simpler piece of dvd authoring software to use. It was easily a go-to app for decent quality and simple dvd authoring. I hope with this new version 5 they have changed things back to the way it was. Added functionality is always welcome but I hope the "we know what we're talkin about and you don't attitude" with them has gone away. I think maybe the reason for the changes in v5 were maybe because the people who used this app....were right along.

Negative responses can make change happen...hopefully it's happened in this case. I liked this software when it worked right.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using version 3.8.0.193 with Target Size set at 4400 MB. It fills the disc. Converting 720 MKV's & the picture looks great on my Philips upscaling DVP player to a 40 inch Samsung.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you got one of the last good versions dfisher052...it was a good app back at version 3

Check out the changelog...last updated in Videohelp...May of 2011...a year and a half till now...I hope it's back to the good ole days.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Is that just a negative comment because afterward you expound on the things that were wrong, including the support. It would appear that they fixed that as well as the 'size thingy' since I have email addresses of the support and developers. I asked for the program to be able to supply the functionality of SSA subtitles, which it did not in version 4, and they fixed. I asked about customizing the menus with new ones that are even animated and now I can. Someone else asked for it to hard code as well as allow soft subtitles with a menu to turn them on/off, it does this.
    Yes this was negative sarcastic comment by my side about the company and about their arrogance because
    This software...in it's hey-day...was a darn good piece of software. It was about 2 or 3 years ago they started tinkering with the dvd-5 size thing and that ruined it completely. I have read and agree with what mammo1789 says. When they changed the output size thing where the files would end up 1/3 the size of an actual dvd, I was puzzled and got online to see what, if anything, had happened to this app. I came across the thread at their forum where their response was not even remotely close to acceptable. No company I've ever seen treated users with a response like.."we're right and your wrong...or it's gonna stay that way so get use to it" type of answer. When loads of users online are telling you that the quality is not good...common sense says you listen or take that into account. They didn't for years. I suppose thats why they quit updating this software for a long time in here cause of the negative reviews.
    Exactly that i have couple of "debates" there and they closed my tread why because i didn't except their explanation which was exactly as moontrash is pointing.
    They tried to explain that filling the dvd just to fill it is not good thing, but to make 2 gb mpeg2 file out of 2gb mkv(h264) when efficiency of h264 is twice of that of mpeg2 it doesn't make sense
    which ( of course everybody knows it will look like shit because you starve on bit-rate and that's is the single most important thing in video).
    I also tried to point out that non encoder in the world is that smart ( especially theirs ) and to properly detect dark ( and non moving ) and dark ( and rich with movement scenes ) and that it will starve some bitrates on some scenes and that macroblocking will occur because of the lack of bit-rate on those scenes and most importantly is that because they starve on bit-rate they also starve it in the action scene ( that's why even those scenes don't look to good as they were saying.
    I documented that with examples and pictures but they still refused to discuss and point me out to their own explanation that any normal person on the world will dispute.
    In the end go to their site and see how much people complained about their not filing the dvd size and what was the responses of the moderators and employees of that company and judge for your self about their customer care system.

I also sad that this program has some nice features that other programs don't have it is fast and stable but is it money worth? that's for you to decide. My intention was to inform people of the possible flaw, and i don't like when people just glorify things without been them tested truly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. well CQ encoding isn't meant to fill a DVD
    Quote Quote  
  12. well CQ encoding isn't meant to fill a DVD
    here we go again, of course not but you are not listening what I was saying I am aware of cq encoding the purpose of cq is to maintain quality/quantization to deliver best quality for a move for instance so if the mkv files is 2 gb file and full with action in that case the final mpeg2 which is more than 2 times unefficient vs h264 ( cq encoding should be around 6 gb tested with couple other software's that use also cq ). do they just use space ( unnecessary?) I don't think so. Leaving dvd 1/3 empty does not mean efficiency
    Here's why, even if you put 2 movies ( around 3-4 hours videos) cxtodvd will not fill ( or even overboard the dvd5 spec) but leave around 800mb to 1gb free on the disc. I am talking about ver 4 by the way and everything will be "fine" if the source is bad mushy xvid or divx file that doesn't have much data to keep, but when talking about well compressed mkv file ( ripped from blu ray source that has "all" the data relevant) and cxtodvd butcher it with low bitrate ( which allot of customer's complained so they even made sticky of why they are right and everybody on the planet are wrong ) than something is wrong with the program and the authors ( not with cq that you are trying to imply that I sad).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Have a read & chill - http://tangentsoft.net/video/mpeg/enc-modes.html

cxtodvd butcher it with low bitrate
    ^ that's not what CQ encoding is about, and that's not how CXD works.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Denali is the most human used expression and you sir are one of those.

Conclusion

VBR modes are worth using, when you're not forced to use CBR. And when you can get away with it, pure CQ modes are the best VBR types of all. You have to work harder to get good video, but you can achieve absolutely stunning results with a properly-tuned CQ encoder.
    from the site that you post it
    cxtodvd is not properly tuned or smart encoder period. You obviously doesn't have a clue what cq is doing so no point in explaining that for you and if you think that 900-1000 kbs for mpeg2 is sufficient ( even on empty wall scene ) than be happy with it.

I don't see logical and right discussion with fanboys they will defend anything from their "favorite" no mater how wrong they are and that is exactly what me and moontrash were point in out.
    By the way i think that fanboys always make more harm than good to the reputation of the "favorite" so keep with your cheering.
    I am done explaining maybe someone with more time will
    Quote Quote  
  15. oh **** off, I'm not "fanboy". I use CXD because it WORKS, and delivers lovely results. End of story. You dish out crap like "cxtodvd is not properly tuned or smart encoder period" and "no point in explaining that for you and if you think that 900-1000 kbs for mpeg2 is sufficient" and "cxtodvd butcher it with low bitrate" and "so if the mkv files is 2 gb file and full with action in that case the final mpeg2 which is more than 2 times unefficient vs h264 ( cq encoding should be around 6 gb tested with couple other software's that use also cq )"...

OK, you convinced me! Without any proof or references or anything! ha ha well done! You must be expert on "CQ" and I'm not.

No, I'm not a "fanboy", but you obviously have an agenda with CXD. Fair enough. Now shrivel back into your hole, sir. BTW what other CQ encoders have you tested CXD against? Maybe post results & screenshots etc etc.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have an old version of Convert x to DVD. I used it a few times to convert avi/sub/idx to DVD. It worked well, but I prefer the free DVDFlick to make DVDs, but that doesn't accept sub/idx subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  17. OK, you convinced me! Without any proof or references or anything! ha ha well done! You must be expert on "CQ" and I'm not.
    And you did give proof right i forgot, I already posted on their site ( and you know it, the tread was closed from asholes like you because they knew were wrong ) but it is not for blind and low literate fanboys like you.

Budman1 informed as about the news ( and that is good thing for this forum) but you like before ( and on other forums including cxtodvd one) started to glorify this software ( which is paid by the way )without any proof and anything new to say what so ever, so don't get angry on me fanboy i hope they give you some cash for marketing purposes, otherwise you are wasting your's and our's time in here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    OK, you convinced me! Without any proof or references or anything! ha ha well done! You must be expert on "CQ" and I'm not.
    And you did give proof right i forgot, I already posted on their site ( and you know it, the tread was closed from asholes like you because they knew were wrong ) but it is not for blind and low literate fanboys like you.

Budman1 informed as about the news ( and that is good thing for this forum) but you like before ( and on other forums including cxtodvd one) started to glorify this software ( which is paid by the way )without any proof and anything new to say what so ever, so don't get angry on me fanboy i hope they give you some cash for marketing purposes, otherwise you are wasting your's and our's time in here.
    LOL you're insane. Goodnight chum!

(btw your spelling & grammar is atrocious, maybe you are misreading the manual when you use CXD ha ha ha)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pointing out someone's English or grammar skills isn't going to win a debate...especially since it's obvious English isn't his native tongue.

I installed the newest Beta (5.0.1.1.8)...oddly enough they haven't updated it in here though

Here's a screen of my exact settings before I took a 7.95 gb mkv down to a dvd5 size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CX1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	14565

Normally with any down conversion app I use I set it to 4478 mb's. It gets close with other apps like DvdFab and Recode. Even with DvdRebuilder it gets darn close. This time instead of converting to 4.37 gb like other apps I use, ConvertXtoDvd hit 3.83 gb's. That's a full 500mb's left to fill out a dvd. That 500 mb's that could have been used to expand the quality. In itself, the 3.83 gb version doesn't look bad at all. I have no issues with it. As I've mentioned a couple of times in comments I've posted for the app, "Why have this option if it doesn't even get close?". Maybe I'm missing a setting or something but it's frustrating knowing that V3 worked so well and they have to (or won't) go back to when it worked well. Knowing apps like AVStoDvd or Multiavchd can pretty much encode the same way and the results get far closer to filling out a dvd5, it's a mystery to me how they don't follow their lead. I can see maybe 30 to 50 mb's won't make a visual difference but an extra 500 mb's isn't gonna make a dvd look any better? Come on
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still use ConvertX v3, too.
    It's a great program.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    It gets close with other apps like DvdFab and Recode. Even with DvdRebuilder it gets darn close. This time instead of converting to 4.37 gb like other apps I use, ConvertXtoDvd hit 3.83 gb's. That's a full 500mb's left to fill out a dvd. That 500 mb's that could have been used to expand the quality.
    That's because it uses CQ encoding, not VBR encoding, or transcoding.

In itself, the 3.83 gb version doesn't look bad at all. I have no issues with it.
    So there's no complaint?

pointing out someone's English or grammar skills isn't going to win a debate...especially since it's obvious English isn't his native tongue
    Yeah but a douchebag is a douchebag, whatever nationality. I'm not racist.
    Quote Quote  
  22. it's frustrating knowing that V3 worked so well and they have to (or won't) go back to when it worked well.
    Everything improves up to a certain level, then deproves. It is the nature of evolution and lifespan. Sometimes called bell-shaped curve.
    Quote Quote