VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What was your favorite 16 bit gaming console?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mine was the snes because of all the rpgs that came out for it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, nintendo owned that era!!

I had a few systems at that time but SNES ruled!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't play any of them.

I just used c64 and amiga for gaming back in the 80s...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Didn't play any of them.

I did what Baldrick did!
    But, I put Sega Genesis as my vote because I used to like to go to my friend's house and play Toe Jam and Earle.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    After the Atari 2600 I used an Atari 800 computer. Then the Commodore Amiga. And finally x86 PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Always wanted a Neo-Geo, but wasn't going to pay £400 for the console and £170+ for the games, so i just had a SNES and Atari jaguar.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Didn't play any of them.

I did what Baldrick did!
    But, I put Sega Genesis as my vote because I used to like to go to my friend's house and play Toe Jam and Earle.

--dES
    I used to go to my friend and play Donkey Kong and Super Mario....but it wasn't as funny as Boulder Dash, Dungeon Master, Bards Tale...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well technically johns0 asked about 16 bit systems.....

Hell if we want to jump in the way back machine I remember having an odyssey system but that was many years and way after my first system!!

It had to be roughly around 38 years ago ??
    I want to say it was some Zenith or Magnavox system ?

I don't recall the name of the system but it had PONG, of course, and we had these large plastic sheets with images on them & clear squares where you would aim a gun, you would tape the plastic sheets to your CRT tv screen and when a square lit up you had to shoot at it, there were plain generic white outlines of like cowboys or gun fighters above the clear squares.

Has to predate any amiga or atari anything!!
    But I remember way back having some atari, or something, kind of home "PC" and you had the "cassette deck" for tapes instead of floppies...
    Seems like it was from radio shack or some crap.
    LOL!!!

But I did like the Genesis until I found "BOOGERMAN" for the SNES!!!!
    Name:  Boogerman.gif
Views: 3136
Size:  11.9 KB
    BOOGER!!!!

LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Well technically johns0 asked about 16 bit systems.....

Hell if we want to jump in the way back machine I remember having an odyssey system but that was many years and way after my first system!!

It had to be roughly around 38 years ago ??
    I want to say it was some Zenith or Magnavox system ?

I don't recall the name of the system but it had PONG, of course, and we had these large plastic sheets with images on them & clear squares where you would aim a gun, you would tape the plastic sheets to your CRT tv screen and when a square lit up you had to shoot at it, there were plain generic white outlines of like cowboys or gun fighters above the clear squares.
    Yeah, that would be the Magnavox Odyssey. There were a few different versions of it, but they were all pretty much based on single-function game chips that could only play a small number of pre-defined games using black-and-white blocks.

Has to predate any amiga or atari anything!!
    But I remember way back having some atari, or something, kind of home "PC" and you had the "cassette deck" for tapes instead of floppies... Seems like it was from radio shack or some crap.
    If it was from Radio Shack, it wasn't an Atari -- RS only sold their own TRS-80 branded stuff. If it had color graphics and hooked up to your TV set, it was the TRS-80 Color Computer; if it only had B&W graphics and came with its own monitor, it was probably the TRS-80 Model I or Model III.

Me, I didn't have any of the 16-bits either. Hell, I didn't even have an 8-bit NES; my gaming days more or less came to an end around the Colecovision and Commodore-64 days, as I simply didn't have time for it in between working a full-time job during the day and going to classes at night, and never really got back into the habit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think you left the one i had off the list. mattel intellivision. it had a 16-bit cpu chip. i gave it away pretty quickly as i preferred my atari 800 and commadore 64.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i think you left the one i had off the list. mattel intellivision. it had a 16-bit cpu chip. i gave it away pretty quickly as i preferred my atari 800 and commadore 64.
    The mattel intellivision didn't belong on the list because it didn't have a 16 bit graphics engine,the turbografix had a 8 bit cpu but had a 16 bit graphics engine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wikipedia sort of disagrees -
    Innovations

• Intellivision can be considered the first 16-bit game console, as the registers in the microprocessor, where the mathematical logic is processed, are 16 bits wide.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. I never owned any of them, but I used to play multiplayer on my friend's Super Nintendo all the time.

Also, I'm somewhat surprised that no Gameboys were mentioned here. That was my true favorite. However, after spending a few moments on Wikipedia, it seems none of the GBs ever had a 16-bit CPU. From the Color on back, they were all 8-bit. Starting the the Advanced, they were all 32-bit.
    Last edited by TSJNachos; 31st Oct 2012 at 18:41.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Innovations

• Intellivision can be considered the first 16-bit game console, as the registers in the microprocessor, where the mathematical logic is processed, are 16 bits wide.
    Well hell!!
    Wikipedia could never be wrong!!!!

I have seen more than a few instances of Wikipedia being wrong......

But that specific reference, I have no idea, just saying.... hell, it is on the internet it MUST be true!!!!
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Didn't own any of the ones listed but here are my gaming systems over the years:
    Magnavox Odyssey: the first true game console, the shooting gallery was my favorite game.
    Atari 2600: wasted a lot of time and money playing games in high school.
    Timex/Sinclair 1000: lame graphics but it ran on BASIC so it was easy to write my own programs.
    Mattel Intellivision: better graphics than the 2600 but less games.

Here's a fun flashback video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYLly625cXE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koTxt7D3e2I&feature=related
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 31st Oct 2012 at 20:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Innovations
    Well hell!!

But that specific reference, I have no idea, just saying.... hell, it is on the internet it MUST be true!!!!
    LOL!!
    Would you accept the word of an electronics engineer (me) who actually owns one, and who knows what chips are inside it because he actually opened his up and modified it to bypass the RF modulator and get proper A/V outputs on it?

The Mattel Intellivision used the General Instruments CP1610 microprocessor, which was indeed a 16-bit CPU whose archetecture was based (more or less) off the PDP-11. It was, however, somewhat of a strange bird, and never terribly popular or widely used, so most people don't remember it. Its main claim to fame is that one of its support chips, the C1650 Programmable Interface Controller, became the basis for the Microchip PIC series of microcontrollers once GI spun its entire microelectronics division out as a separate entity.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you seriously think the The Mattel Intellivision belonged with the 16 bit console systems with its graphics output?That's why it's never has been considered to be in the same league as the snes and genesis.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SNES all the way.

I was nintendo and pc that was it. Never had sega until the dreamcast but that was only when it was starting to be discounted and on the way out. Not really attached to it and eventually got rid of it too.

The snes was the perfect system and arguably the best cartridge system ever created - sans a handful of n64 games that is (super mario 64, goldeneye and Zelda naturally).

My four or five favorites from the system were:

Super Mario World
    Zelda
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4
    Fzero

The tmnt game was phenomenal. A near perfect arcade clone if there ever was one. I wasn't into fighters or rpgs at that time so none of those made my list.

Super Mario World was a game changer to be sure. Remember the first time seeing true layered graphics? Nothing like seeing mario BEHIND something! Or the clouds moving behind things. And the sound was great too. Though I never had it in stereo if I remember correctly the depth worked much better even on normal tvs. The synthesizers were much more realistic than the nes (though the nes was good for what it had to work with obviously).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by solarfox View Post
    Innovations
    Well hell!!

LOL!!
    Would you accept the word of an electronics engineer (me) who actually owns one, and who knows what chips are inside it because he actually opened his up and modified it to bypass the RF modulator and get proper A/V outputs on it?

The Mattel Intellivision used the General Instruments CP1610 microprocessor, which was indeed a 16-bit CPU whose archetecture was based (more or less) off the PDP-11. It was, however, somewhat of a strange bird, and never terribly popular or widely used, so most people don't remember it. Its main claim to fame is that one of its support chips, the C1650 Programmable Interface Controller, became the basis for the Microchip PIC series of microcontrollers once GI spun its entire microelectronics division out as a separate entity.
    i kept one around for awhile for the girlfriend so she could play "burgertime".
    --
    Quote Quote  
  20. For me it was the Sega Genesis. The Sega Genesis had the 2 best sports games ever, that spawned a yearly series, being John Madden Football, and NHL Hockey. There were earlier versions of Madden (original version on Apple II), but Madden on Sega Genesis was the first console version of the game.

The first NHL Hockey was released for Intellivision, but the yearly series did not happen until it after was released for the Sega Genesis.

On a side note, I think the NBA Live series on SNES was the best 16 bit basketball game easily.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadmeow
    I think the NBA Live series on SNES was the best 16 bit basketball game easily.
    I would argue that the NCAA college game was an excellent one. Though I must admit I don't think I played any "pro" basketball game for the snes. That ncaa one used mode 7 if I remember right.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote