VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have yet to make a successful capture with Vdub. Crashes every time. I have other options for capture but it would be great if Vdub capture worked.

Running XP Pro SP3. Core2 Duo E8400 3.0 gig CPU. 4 gigs ram. Vdub 1.10.0

Trying to capture DV via passthrough through a Sony Digital8 cam. Set capture file, hit capture - "Sorry, virtualdub has crashed".

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any suggestions?
    Yes for DV capture ( trough fireware ) try WinDV http://windv.mourek.cz/ not vdub also are you using beta version ( it may be buggy )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Yes for DV capture ( trough fireware ) try WinDV http://windv.mourek.cz/ not vdub also are you using beta version ( it may be buggy )
    No, not Beta and I've had this issue with several iterations of Vdub. Again, the whole idea is to see if I can make Vdub capture work. Others seem to have success.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With DV, you're basically just copying the data as-is out of the passthrough device.
    That's why a simple capture tool like WinDV is recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  5. VirtualDub is designed to capture from raw uncompressed video devcies. It cannot capture from a DV device. Give up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it would be a good idea to install the cedocida DV codec ,
    it's supposed to be one of the best codecs for DV and it"s been updated recently
    and it's Free
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    it would be a good idea to install the cedocida DV codec ,
    it's supposed to be one of the best codecs for DV and it"s been updated recently
    and it's Free
    Virtualdub can use MATROX VFW codecs to record DV files. Very stable.

Software

Matrox VFW Software Codecs

Version 1.0 (build 33)

(April 5, 2012)
    The Matrox Video for Windows (VFW) software codecs let you render and play back Matrox .avi files in your VFW programs without having Matrox video hardware installed. This release fixes a stability issue for using the Matrox VFW software codecs on systems that have more than 4 GB of RAM.
    The following VFW software codecs are provided for use on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems:
    • Matrox DV/DVCAM
    • Matrox DVCPRO
    • Matrox DVCPRO50
    • Matrox DVCPRO HD
    • Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame in SD and HD resolutions, with or without alpha
    • Matrox Uncompressed in SD and HD resolutions, with or without alpha
    • Matrox Offline HD (playback only)
    • Matrox M-JPEG and HDV (playback only)
    Installation instructions

Note: If you have an earlier version of the Matrox VFW software codecs already installed on your computer, you must uninstall these codecs before installing this version.
    1. Download the following file to your hard drive:
      VFWCodecs_10033.exe (10.9 MB)
    2. Run the downloaded file to start the Matrox VFW Software Codecs Setup program.
    3. Follow the onscreen instructions.
    For information about using the Matrox VFW software codecs to render material in your VFW programs, see the document Using the Matrox VFW Software Codecs.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  8. It still won't be able to caputure DV from a firewire port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It still won't be able to caputure DV from a firewire port.
    No firewire device work in Virtualdub jagabo? Good to know.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It still won't be able to caputure DV from a firewire port.
    No firewire device work in Virtualdub jagabo?
    http://www.virtualdub.org/docs_capture.html

VirtualDub needs a Video for Windows capture driver to capture. Most Firewire (DV) devices do not provide a VFW driver, and thus cannot be used by VirtualDub at all.
    Quote Quote  
  11. VirtualDub needs a Video for Windows capture driver to capture. Most Firewire (DV) devices do not provide a VFW driver, and thus cannot be used by VirtualDub at all.
    I have to say that my experience has been the precise opposite. Windows' DV support provides VFW and directshow interfaces for all devices its generic DV class driver supports (which is just about every standard definition bridge/camera out there). Using this support virtualdub can grab the output of such devices and save it as a type 2 DV AVI file. Obviously non-bridge devices won't work nor will DV streams which transport another codec such as MPEG-4 AVC.

Having said that I wouldn't use any edition of virtualdub to 'capture' the DV stream as, once again in my experience, virtualdub has the unique property from all DV capable programs that I've come across of desyncronising the audio and video that my aged ADVC100 produces regardless of virtualdub's audio sync configuration, ie even when told to leave it alone it still screws it up.

WinDV is IMO the best standalone Windows DV tool. It's small and it works.
    Last edited by LightWeightProducer; 26th Oct 2012 at 15:49.
    Quote Quote