VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    Taylor, you need to understand some history of what kind of posts we get here regularly.
    Some want help and yet don't give enough info and then when asked for more info, get an attitude.
    Some on purpose withhold information that could be helpful in finding out what's going on for what reason is anyone's guess.
    So, don't get defensive and try to provide info when it is asked.
    Don't read more in someone's reply than what is there.
    Your right Steve, I should not get defensive and I apologize that I didn't understand that his pointing out my lack of knowledge was actually a question. I will try to behave. Thanks for that clarification.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    DB83 - What is this extra folder you keep referring to? I don't see it. Either it's a case of me not seeing what is right in front of me (possible) or you are misunderstanding the output he got from the command I told him to run. "DVD Video Recording" is the simply the label of the DVD. That's how Macs do things when they mount DVDs. Just in case that's what you mean.
    Like I said, it could be me mis-understanding the output from a Mac where, as you say, the disk label appears like a higher level folder.

But if the PC report just shows one folder ie video_ts there is no logical reason why this disk can not be ripped in any PC whatever the OS
    So here are my screen grabs. The first is from the old (dead) burner we used to use. This disk still rips fine. Please note the length that shows at the bottom of the screen. It directly matches what will rip off of the disk.

Old Unit

Next is the New Toshiba. It actually shows fewer files in this window that the old one did. Once again note the length that appears. This directly corresponds with what will rip. However, instead of 5 seconds the video length is 30 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new.JPG
Views:	4556
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	14419
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @traylor1, in your first post, you mentioned file size as .99 MB but here the Screenshot shows as .99 GB means almost 1 GB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will echo what is said above. The file size is reported correctly at .99 gig. It's playback time is being incorrectly reported. That is an OS issue or WMP is corrupt.

I would not worry about the fewer files on the second disk. The first had two titles. The second only one

But are you absolutely sure that you have not also misread the ripped file. If that shows the same then there is no issue. Try a raw playback of the ripped vob.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I will echo what is said above. The file size is reported correctly at .99 gig. It's playback time is being incorrectly reported. That is an OS issue or WMP is corrupt.

I would not worry about the fewer files on the second disk. The first had two titles. The second only one

But are you absolutely sure that you have not also misread the ripped file. If that shows the same then there is no issue. Try a raw playback of the ripped vob.
    DB83 - what you are saying makes a lot of sense with WMP being corrupt. That is one thing I have not checked. The thing I do know for sure is the file that has been ripped, it does match in duration what is being shown on the length of this screen capture. So for example on this screen grab, I have showing the length as 00:00:05. If I play that directly off of the disk before ripping, it will play for 30 minutes. Once I rip it, that which has been ripped is only playing 5 seconds. And as I have said before it does not matter which of my ripping programs I use, I get the same duration for each of the programs.

I will do some testing with the WMP and see what I can come up with and get back at you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What playback time would you get if you play the ripped vob with vlc ?

We also need to see the ripped folder and not the disk folder else we are not getting the full picture.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode (I did NOT say ISO mode - completely different - do not confuse the terms) to rip your movie as one giant VOB file. You will need to change the settings in DVDDecrypter to not split when ripping. You can search for guides on how to do this. See how that plays.

I have no experience with Toshiba recorders but I wonder if it is putting something in the video stream that is making your programs freak out when you rip. 5 seconds duration is for all practical terms impossible for a 1 GB sized video file given the constraints of DVD video (max. bit rate less than 10000 Kbps) so something weird is definitely going on. I really don't like WMP at all and you'd be better off to not rely on it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    What playback time would you get if you play the ripped vob with vlc ?

We also need to see the ripped folder and not the disk folder else we are not getting the full picture.
    I still get only 5 seconds. I have used VLC to rip, and I have the folder at home. Will post the screen cap with it.

To what extent does Windows itself play in the rippings? Do any parts of WMP play into it? Because of the fact that the DVD's show the length as 5 seconds on only this machine, I am thinking that something in the file structure is not being read correctly by the operating system and that is causing the issue with disks burned from this Toshiba machine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by traylor1 View Post

I still get only 5 seconds. I have used VLC to rip, and I have the folder at home. Will post the screen cap with it.

To what extent does Windows itself play in the rippings? Do any parts of WMP play into it? Because of the fact that the DVD's show the length as 5 seconds on only this machine, I am thinking that something in the file structure is not being read correctly by the operating system and that is causing the issue with disks burned from this Toshiba machine.
    How exactly are you "ripping" with VLC? Describe the process. I've got a bad feeling that once again we've got a case where you are using terms incorrectly and that is playing a role in your problems because you are not correctly describing what is really happening and we are making assumptions based on what you say being 100% correct.

You do need to follow my instructions in my previous post as that may help, but describe this "ripping" first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jman98 beat me to this one as I was digesting my dinner.

To expand. Windows Media Player does not rip. VLC does not rip. These are players.

We see .99gb as the file size per vob on a disk. That is as to be expected. What we now need to see is what is on the ripped folder ie the one that is on your HDD. Even without seeing it since this is at home, you should have some idea how long it took to rip the disk to your HDD. A five seconds rip would take little to no time. If the full disk took some minutes - maybe 10 - we can already assume that the disk ripped correctly.

And just to clarify what we mean as 'ripping' is the transfer of files from disk media to a HDD and NOT the conversion of that media to another format.

jman98 suggests to rip to one vob. That is good advice and you will find it easier when you come to convert/edit
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    jman98 beat me to this one as I was digesting my dinner.

To expand. Windows Media Player does not rip. VLC does not rip. These are players.

We see .99gb as the file size per vob on a disk. That is as to be expected. What we now need to see is what is on the ripped folder ie the one that is on your HDD. Even without seeing it since this is at home, you should have some idea how long it took to rip the disk to your HDD. A five seconds rip would take little to no time. If the full disk took some minutes - maybe 10 - we can already assume that the disk ripped correctly.

And just to clarify what we mean as 'ripping' is the transfer of files from disk media to a HDD and NOT the conversion of that media to another format.

jman98 suggests to rip to one vob. That is good advice and you will find it easier when you come to convert/edit
    I honestly think we have too much going on in this discussion at this point, so I want to back up a little and clarify what we need to get across to communicate here.

WMP is not a ripper, or converter, I agree, and you are correct VLC does not rip, it merely converts the file from the DVD into another file type on my HDD. My understanding that the extraction of the video and audio from a DVD in any form is ripping. So for my incorrect terminology, I apologize. We can thank all of the websites out there who use this description.

Also, before anyone asks, I am not the operator of the Toshiba DVD Recorder. There is another volunteer who is in charge of it. Whoever runs it, does all of the storage of the video onto the internal HDD of the unit and then burns the disk once it is recorded. I have nothing to do tih it's operation. What I have always done is that I pick up this disk and use a program entitled Leawo Video Converter to take the three .vob files from the original DVD and convert them to a single .mp4 video so that I can edit in Sony Vegas.

With the previous unit, I was able to do this successfully which would in turn take approximately 70 minutes to convert the 3 files into one - .mp4 file. It still works that way as well, with no problems. When I converted an older disk from this older unit, just this Wednesday evening, it took appx 70 minutes and gave me the full video after conversion.

With the new Toshiba Unit, I use the same exact process. It still merges the three videos into one file, however the new disks are only allowing for anywhere from 5-30 seconds to be converted from each of the three .vob files. The extracted .mp4 video is now less than a minute long instead of 65-70 minutes. And yes, it is done converting in only about 2 minutes.

However, if I go into my living room and put in the original disk that I picked up after it was originally recorded and play the movie, or I play it on ANY computer, it plays the entire movie.

So that being said, I have used other programs such as DVD decrypter and DVDFab decrypter to copy the DVD files to my hard drive. The results are the same as it is with converting the files using Leawo; in that I only get files that play from 5-30 seconds in length.

So, in a bit, I will truly rip the files and not convert. I will then post a screen grab of that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We can all get carried away with technology and finer details but we need these if we are to help.

But you are pulling more bunnies out of the hat with each post.

Let me once and for all correct you AGAIN about vlc. It does not rip. It does not convert. It plays. It can do other things but not those that you write about.

But my greatest confusion now is about the hardware. You posted a model number. I looked up and read the manual for that number. It did not mention ANY HDD in the unit. And if there is a HDD in the unit, despite these pics of the disk, we could well be talking a different ball game.

That theory gets trashed when you say the disk plays in anything. But if it plays in anything then it should rip in anything.

It was said quite early in this topic that you should not even have to formally rip the dvd. A home made disk, even one from a dvd-recorder, should just allow a simple drag and drop from disk to PC HDD.

So do, again, confirm the EXACT model number. Confirm it does have a HDD inside it. But there is onle very important item here. Since, as you now say you are not the creator of the disk you simply do not know how it is made in the first place. You could be very lucky in having it play in anything you can lay your hands on but maybe you should also try it in other people's equipment. There could be some surprises there.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    We can all get carried away with technology and finer details but we need these if we are to help.

But you are pulling more bunnies out of the hat with each post.

Let me once and for all correct you AGAIN about vlc. It does not rip. It does not convert. It plays. It can do other things but not those that you write about.
    As I said in my last post, you are correct VLC does not rip, it merely converts the file from the DVD into another file type on my HDD. Please read up on it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+rip+with+<a class="contentlink" href="http://ww...w=1440&bih=723

I am done.
    Quote Quote  
  14. traylor, let me ask, can you copy contents off the disc onto your hard drive successful and verify that file plays correctly?
    Notice I didn't say anything about conversion, just need to know if you can do that.
    Try using vlc to verify that contents plays.

Next what program(s) are you using to convert to mp4?

In case you need to know, it is better to use 2 processes to get dvd to mp4.
    I know there are programs that do it all but this is not the best way to get the job done.

There may be better programs to do what you need to do.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by traylor1 View Post
    [
    So that being said, I have used other programs such as DVD decrypter and DVDFab decrypter to copy the DVD files to my hard drive. The results are the same as it is with converting the files using Leawo; in that I only get files that play from 5-30 seconds in length.

So, in a bit, I will truly rip the files and not convert. I will then post a screen grab of that.
    Please do what I said and rip in IFO mode and create one gigantic VOB file from your video. Let's see what various programs do with that once you have it.

By the way, a lot of people don't know that VLC can convert videos. I've never used it for that and I'm guessing that DB83 never has either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW I can confirm I did not know that vlc can CONVERT videos. The important word here has been highlighted in CAPTIALS. It is not the word we use on here to describe the process of 'ripping'.

Now where are the screen caps of the RIPPED dvd ? Else I am also done on here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys, sorry to re-ignite this old thread, but I am having the problems as OP.

My father-in-law took some old VHS tapes to a company and had them put in on a DVD.
    I was put in charge to edit some of the footage before a wedding.

When I play the VOB in either VLC, WMP or any other software I can see the whole clip, lasting about 20 mins. But when I rip the files or transfer them from DVD to HDD to use in Sony Vegas to edit they only show up with 13-15 seconds duration, even though the file size is 1GB, as seen in the screenshot below:

I've tried DVD Shrink and DVD Encrypter with the IFO/no split setting as advised, but no help. The image above is a screenshot after I've used DVD Encrypter, but it might as well been a screenshot of the VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD, it shows the exact same thing.

Windows 7, MATSHITA DVD-R UJ85J, DVDs in question are Verbatim DVD-R. Have not had the chance to test on another computer yet.
    Quote Quote  
  18. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ VIDEO_TS.IFO is missing
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GuVH9sL.png
Views:	1211
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	27016  

Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Indeed it is.

However, I actually was able to get Handbrake to encode the DVD into mp4's, so it seems I might get out of trouble this time. Still, I don't understand why a 1GB file plays like a 1GB file but doesn't encode more than 13 secs. When I play the file in VLC it says 00:13 total time, although it plays through the whole file, but the ticker stops at "00:34/00:13"
    Quote Quote