VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So I plan on upgrading my desktop to run on an SSD (OS & Programs only on drive, all other files will be on a 2nd platter drive). Can I simple use my acronis software to clone the platter drive to the new ssd, like I would do normally platter to platter? Do I need some type of mounting kit to fit the 2.5" drive in my desktop? Finally what brand should I get Intel, crucial, g.skill?

Thanks for any info you can provide
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most SSDs are designed to fit in 2.5" drive bays so you'll probably need an adapter to make it fit into the 3.5" slot in your desktop. As for brand: SanDisk or go to macsales.com and buy one of theirs; both are properly set up whereas some cheaper brands require some really low-level formatting magic to get them to handle garbage collection, etc. The cheaper brands are also cheaper because they are...well...cheap cr*p. I've been using the MacSales and SanDisk SSDs in my Macs and they are awesome.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can't answer the Acronis question as I did a fresh install.

You may need a mounting kit. But I'll warn you that I found it so difficult to find a mounting kit (my local Frys had NOTHING that would work and looking on Newegg proved difficult) that in the end I just put 2 screws on the left side of the drive to hold it to the mounting bracket in my PC. Keep in mind that there are no moving parts in an SSD so while ugly, something like this is doable.

I started using mine about 18 months ago I think. I bought a 256 GB Crucial drive. I've been happy with it and had no problems. One word of warning. BEFORE you attempt to install ANYTHING to the drive, do a firmware upgrade to whatever the current firmware is. Most of the manufacturers ship their SSDs with early generation buggy firmware and you're very likely to have horrible problems if you don't upgrade the firmware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Cloning with Acronis will work, as will restoring a disc image (done it). But since you're on XP, you should check drive alignment afterwards with something like AS_SSD. Then adjust alignment with a PartedMagic live CD or similar. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817984009

I use that Scythe Bay Rafter for a 2.5 notebook hard drive that I run on one of my desktop computers that has Windows 7 pc. It works well! Good luck on your SSD! I look forward to seeing your comments after buying one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Cloning with Acronis will work, as will restoring a disc image (done it). But since you're on XP, you should check drive alignment afterwards with something like AS_SSD. Then adjust alignment with a PartedMagic live CD or similar. Good luck.
    This is actually going to go into a new pc running win7. The new pc has a regular 1TB platter drive with the OS already installed. What I plan on doing is to install all the programs that I use on the win7 C:drive then clone the win7 OS along with all my programs to the ssd, and convert the 1TB drive to hold all personal and media files. What do you mean by drive alignment? What needs to be adjusted?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 ssd's and they work fine. For a mounting solution I have both of these below...Both work fine

Rosewill Mounting Bracket

Mushkin SSD Mount

Go here for tweaking your SSD. Turning on TRIM and other necessities to keep the drive in good shape.

I use Macrium Reflect Free to clone my drives. With it you can create a image of your drive to save to disk and install on an hdd later or you can clone your existing drive to another on the fly. I use it and it works perfect every time.

If you plug in your new SSD and it doesn't load you might have to use a System Rescue disc to get it to load. I do. Before you plug the drive in...follow these directions and make a rescue cd/dvd. Load your new SSD up and put the disc in the cd/dvd drive and boot from it and follow the instuctions. It's simple. It will fix the SSD to boot the next time and your set.

If your rush over to Newegg now they had or still may have a 64gb Samsung for $50. They had a Crucial for around the same price last week. Both are steadfast and dead reliable.
    Last edited by Moontrash; 20th Oct 2012 at 16:13.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs View Post
    What do you mean by drive alignment? What needs to be adjusted?
    An SSD needs to have its partition(s) aligned on 4k (4096 byte) sector boundaries. XP and earlier used 512 byte sectors. If an AFD drive or SSD is mis-aligned, you get cluster straddling and mis-aligned writes. This can be bad for performance and supposedly very bad for longevity. Look up AFD (advanced format drive).

But since the drive you intend to clone already has Win7 on it, you're free and clear. I'd still suggest you get AS_SSD (free) to check your drive's performance.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So this pc is going to be used heavily for photo/video editing. Should I just get a 10000rpm OS and programs SATA drive. Or is SSD ok for such heavy use?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would buy a standard SATA hard drive and use it for files that get used a lot. SSD's need a few tweaks to keep them long lasting....continually reading and writing to them wears them out faster. I don't have a spare hdd lying around so the most used app on my pc is Anti Virus...I installed it on a USB 3 thumb drive instead of a regular hdd lol...i'd rather it get wore out than my SSD. Use the SSD for the OS and use a reg drive for storage and such. That's the simple way to put it. Follow the SSd guide I mentioned above and it will give you tips on using and SSD-regular hdd setup...like maybe putting the swap file on the spinning hdd instead of the SSD. Another great trick to really improve speed is a RAMDISK.

Just follow that guide and you'll be happy. I've had my 64gb Crucial for over 6 months and I'm happy....as a clam.
    Quote Quote