VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello. im needing a little advise. theres a glastonbury capture on dvd i got from the net id like to add some chapters to, but main problem is thats 4:3 video for a 16:9 broadcast, so id like to change it to 16:9 too. thought with d-vision 3 could join vob files, after that reauthor with random app.
    is it possible to switch aspect ratio without reencoding? what would u use for that? thnx.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your question is Mac specific and needs to go in our Mac forum. I will ask a moderator to move it for you.

Is there a menu on this? Adding chapters AND trying to preserve menus is very complex. I don't know if it can be done or how to do it but others might. Being on a Mac does limit you though.

It is possible to switch the aspect ratio with IFOEdit, but this is a Windows program. It raises the question of whether you should do this even though you can. If your video is encoded in a 4:3 window rather than having a problem where it was encoded as 16:9 but the aspect ratio got botched during authoring and you change a 4:3 encoding to 16:9, it will not look correct although some people may not notice or care. But yes, it is possible to do this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1minus99 View Post
    but main problem is thats 4:3 video for a 16:9 broadcast, so id like to change it to 16:9
    DVD-Video has the aspect ratio in two places: inside the MPEG-2 stream and inside the IFO file. If these do not match, then the DVD player should use the IFO setting.
    This behavior gives you an opportunity to fix a bad aspect ratio by simply altering the setting in the IFO file for that Video Title Set (VTS).
    So you can author a DVD as you normally would, keeping the faulty feature in a separate VTS, and then generate a VIDEO_TS folder.
    Then load the VIDEO_TS folder in e.g. MyDVDEdit and change the aspect ratio for the faulty VTS. This will change an aspect ratio setting in the IFO file for that VTS.
    This would stretch the 4:3 video to 16:9, like in the image below:

Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. no menu, just automated chapters and a wrong aspect ratio. so if the vob files joining gives the same 4:3 picture it would mean it needs to be reencoded? also didnt figure how to change it with that program yet...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    If your video is encoded in a 4:3 window rather than having a problem where it was encoded as 16:9 but the aspect ratio got botched during authoring and you change a 4:3 encoding to 16:9, it will not look correct although some people may not notice or care.
    Forget the "don't care". Replace with "don't notice". In less than 2 generations our culture has succeeded in undoing 35 million years of the evolution of human sight and produced a species of digital idiots as blind as salamanders.

Really, how many repetitions of similar posts can you find in a 10 minute search on this forum?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 11:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In less than 2 generations our culture has succeeded in undoing 35 million years of the evolution of human sight and produced a species of digital idiots as blind as salamanders
    Well put.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote