VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This one never happened to me before.

I'm trying to convert a DTS track to AC3, and I'm getting just the right channel.

I'm using AvsP, and I tried two scripts: one loading with ffaudiosource and another with nicdtssource.

The original DTS track sounds fine, so something is happening in the conversion.

I did not touch anything in the setup, and it's the same I used for hundreds of similar conversions. So I guess it should be something on the audio file which is different.

How should I proceed?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you trying to do this via a script in AviSynth? I would NEVER attempt to convert audio via AviSynth.

Popcorn MKV Audio Converter and eac3to can both do this kind of conversion. I think ffmpeg may be able to do it too. There are probably other programs that can do it that I don't know about.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see why NEVER attempt audio conversion with Avisynth.

In video they are the most transparent tools there are, and I don't see why that would be different for audio.

Before using Avisynth I did use eac3to a lot, but I think Avisynth is better. OTOS, recently I tried to use eac3to again and I can't make it work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A man goes to the doctor. He says "Doc, every time I do this, it hurts. What can I do?" The doctor says "Stop doing that!"

We already know what DOESN'T work - using AviSynth to do this. If you stubbornly insist that there must be a way to make AviSynth do this, then I'm done here and you're on your own.

Your premise - AviSynth is great for video, therefore it must also be great for video - is flawed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but I don't do anything stubbornly. I do stubbornly look for better ways to do things, so my findings on good audio results with Avisynth were empirical, not theoretical.

Another thing I found is that many of the programs I was using before were implementing Avisynth developed plugins.

I would happily be willing to try other program options. Eac3to, as I said, I have trouble to get it to work. It seems to stop and says "Script paused". I can't make it get out of that mode.

My try at Popcorn didn't get me too far, as I would only want to process the audio file, an option I could not find on the program.

OTOS, can someone tell what might be happening with the AvsP processing?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's possibly something to do with the channel mapping being messed up in the process (for reasons I don't understand). Something like the left front channel being swapped with the left rear channel or something similar. Are you mixing down to stereo or just converting multichannel?

I use MeGUI occasionally for converting audio. It'll decode using NicAudio, ffaudioSource or DirectShow. If all else fails DirectShow usually does the job, assuming you have an appropriate decoder (ie ffdshow). With ffdshow decoding you can at least visually check the channel mapping and even change it if need be. Just make sure ffdshow's mixer doesn't default to mixing down to stereo unless you want it to (or disable it). You probably don't need MeGUI to do the encoding if you just open the video/audio using a DirectShowSource AVISynth script.

Failing that, I use foobar2000 for converting quite a bit. It'll convert all the common formats and it'll play/convert the audio inside MP4/MKV/AVI files etc. You'll just need to manually downloaded the appropriate encoder and tell foobar2000 where to find it. You'll need the Aften encoder for AC3.

ffcoder
    might be another program to try. I "think" it uses MPlayer for decoding so that's another decoding option. AnyVideoConverter does too (I think).
    Last edited by hello_hello; 18th Oct 2012 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the delay in coming back.

MeGUI solved the issue. It converted the DTS file to AC3 with no problem, keeping the 4 original channels.

It's nice to have options to count on and it's nice to have helping ideas here.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. next time perhaps try ffmpeg ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As long as it is user friendly...

Many of these programs I have tried are not that easy to understand how do they work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. IMHO it is user friendly and You don't need to understand how program works to use it... and there are some GUI for ffmpeg however this is not a problem for simple DTS to AC-3 conversion.
    Quote Quote