VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ive only done this with AVI files in the past and that was clear back in 2005 so I havent been doing this too much.

I have a bunch of MKV files I encoded that look much better than the original DVD footage after using AVISynth to properly filter it. Their video format was MP4 with H.264 codec before I muxed them and their 640x480 resolution.

I want to make a DVD that can play them back on my DVD player, hopefully I can get them to be anamorphic as well. I also wish to be able to make my own DVD menu to go with them but I don't know any good software for doing what it is I'm looking to do. Any good software's for doing this out there?

If I can keep the soft subtitles and multiple audio tracks that would be a plus but I only mostly care about making a menu of my own and getting the English version with or without subtitles onto a DVD that will play back in standard DVD player or PS2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use avstodvd. You can do subtitles and multi audio tracks with it. And you can do widescreen (assuming of course they were originally widescreen, it gets a little trickier if it was a letterboxed widescreen - that is widescreen in a 4:3 matte).

Just an fyi if you or your target audience has either a xbox 360 or ps3 there is a chance you can play the original mp4 as is without alteration - though it will need to be mp4 not mkv as neither will read mkv (unmodded that is). But its not a gimme as they are particular about the type of h264 they will read. If they were downloaded off youtube its a good bet they'll play them.

But since you are looking to make a regular old dvd then avstodvd is where you should look for your conversion needs. And burn with imgburn please (freeware also - both programs are)

Edit just so you know sd dvd is 720x576/480 or lower so since you are working with 640x480 material you won't have to redo a lot. I don't know the particulars for resizing back to 720x480 for dvds but avstodvd should automate the process for you (480 assuming you are in ntsc land)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to a mpg or video/audio streams with avstodvd (using the hcenc enoder).
    Author the mpg/streams with for example dvd styler, dvd lab pro,etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Use avstodvd. You can do subtitles and multi audio tracks with it. And you can do widescreen (assuming of course they were originally widescreen, it gets a little trickier if it was a letterboxed widescreen - that is widescreen in a 4:3 matte).

Just an fyi if you or your target audience has either a xbox 360 or ps3 there is a chance you can play the original mp4 as is without alteration - though it will need to be mp4 not mkv as neither will read mkv (unmodded that is). But its not a gimme as they are particular about the type of h264 they will read. If they were downloaded off youtube its a good bet they'll play them.

But since you are looking to make a regular old dvd then avstodvd is where you should look for your conversion needs. And burn with imgburn please (freeware also - both programs are)

Edit just so you know sd dvd is 720x576/480 or lower so since you are working with 640x480 material you won't have to redo a lot. I don't know the particulars for resizing back to 720x480 for dvds but avstodvd should automate the process for you (480 assuming you are in ntsc land)
    That software doesnt look like it lets me create DVD menus like I said I was wanting to be able to do. It just seems to be a converter to convert the video to a format for DVD burning.

I want to be able to make menu's and burn a fully customized DVD. I used to use a software called "Ahead NeroVision Express" but that was clear back in like 2005-2006 that I last used that. I dont think it knows what MKV is. I can only get it to work for AVI.

But anyways that software is an example of what im looking for. I just want to be able to do MKV instead of AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  5. nvm I found this and it looks like it will do what I was asking to do.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw5.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by darkdream787 View Post
    That software doesnt look like it lets me create DVD menus like I said I was wanting to be able to do. It just seems to be a converter to convert the video to a format for DVD burning.
    Have you tried to click the 'DVD Menu' icon on the toolbar?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A belated thanks for the tips, unfortunately avstodvd produces a DVD with a delayed sound compared to the picture, should have checked the image before burning it, oh well...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With all your videos? Please give more details.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The AVStoDVD project log file would be very useful....

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    The AVStoDVD project log file would be very useful....

Bye
    Looks like a frigg'n LOVELY program! Thank you mate!
    Quote Quote