VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've checked the box between Config and Capture and it controls the camera fine but the timecode doesn't move at all when I press capture despite the camera starting to play. No file is created either ? I've set the file name to a normall name, can't see what the problem is.
    Win7 machine, it's a bug / compatibility thing right ?
    What alternatives are there ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    make sure windv isn't installed in c:\program files or program(86) files and right click run as admin.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same result Copied it to root dir (C and runned it as Admin.
    Maybe my camera doesn't send timecode info throught firewire ? It's one of the very 1st DV cams Panasonic made, a Pal NVDA1E, was made alongside the DX100 if anyone remembers that.
    I'm gonna try with other program to see if it's software related...

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The camera appears in Device Manager as an imaging device named "Panasonic DV camcorder". VirtualDub doesn't display any source device at all and from what I've read it doesn't support DV type1 (no copy of audio stream) which I think is probably the case...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try starting playback manually with the cam and then click the record button in windv

there are other capturing utilities you could try out there for firewire if you search around. ScenalyzerLive is one.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GOT IT!!! YESSS!!!!! @aedipuss the Record button is only for recording to the DV device (i.e. output a stream to tape)..
    For reference, in case anyone has the same problem as me, here's how I solved it and why:

After searching for 2 hours or whatever and installing various software to do the same task I realized that I was getting practically the same problem on all of them. Microsoft Movie Maker was outputing a message saying something like device was in use but the truth is that it wasn't in use at all. ScenalyzerLive was also reporting programs connecting to the codec or something and WinDV wasn't outputing any error at all, it just displayed as if it was capturing but no timecode or preview was shown and file was not created.
    So on a search I stumbled upon a post on some other non video related forum, surprisingly with just a few answers, but one of them got it. The guy solved it installing the legacy OHCI driver on Win7. The explanation from what I've read after is that on Win7 64bit the driver that's installed by default for 1394 OHCI controlers doesn't support some legacy devices very well and manually installing the legacy 1394 OHCI driver solves the problem (it's on the driver list if you choose to install from a list of available drivers after choosing to manually install the driver).

You can now buy me a virtual beer if this is useful to you
    Cheers
    Jose
    Quote Quote