VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have purchased a 47" LG 3D television some movies are fine but some downloaded movies are in identical split screen I have been to my 3D settings pressed the side by side button (and the rest for that matter) but nothing works. What do I do next please ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by littlealbert View Post
    I have purchased a 47" LG 3D television some movies are fine but some downloaded movies are in identical split screen I have been to my 3D settings pressed the side by side button (and the rest for that matter) but nothing works. What do I do next please ?
    Buy the Blu Ray?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I need to buy a blue ray to watch downloaded 3D movies via my laptop ?
    I can play some with no problem I just wanted to know why some stay in split screen no matter what I do

but thanks for replying
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The suggestion to buy the movie was simply the reaction to the fact that you will not receive much if any support in these forums to downloaded stuff.

You should read the forum rules in respect of warez. Unless you legitimatley (eg paid) for this download then it is considered as warez and that ends the discussion on here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, even though it's a rarity, let's just assume for a minute that you HAVE bought the movie (via download)...

3D Blu-ray discs ("3DBD") are encoded and played back in such a way that the decoder in the player "knows" that the material is 3D material. In working with 3D material, it sends auxiliary signalling info down the HDMI line that tells the TV/display to automatically turn on 3D viewing and how to configure itself to match the incoming signal's formatting (FramePacking vs. Side-by-Side vs. Top/Bottom vs. etc).

With very few exceptions, ALL OTHER FORMS of "3D" material are not natively seen as 3D by the players involved, they are just a specially-formatted variation of 2D. It isn't considered "3D" until you manually put your 3DTV into 3D mode and pick from the input format options on how to decode.

Such an example is 3D material broadcast over Cable/SAT (currently, at least until new 3D-aware boxes hit the market). They are often sent as SbS, which to any other device just looks like a regular program but in squeezed split-screen.
    The magic doesn't happen until you hit the "3D" button on your remote. Then you should pick from the menu the layout format of the incoming signal (in this case SbS). Then you put on your 3D glasses. THEN it's 3D.

I have a model LG 3DTV similar to yours, so I could walk you through (if the above short description isn't enough).

Understand that there are FAKE 3D titles out there, where the layout format might be SbS, but the actual images on both sides of the split screen are IDENTICAL. If they are truly identical, there is no horizontal disparity/parallax, and hence no 3D. Regardless of how you try to decode it.

Now, as a major supporter of the growth of the nascent 3D trend, I consider anybody taking shortcuts by not paying for their 3D titles to be doing a great disservice not only to the producers of the programs but to the whole 3D cause. I hope you are not one of those. If you are, I won't be helping further.

Scott
    Quote Quote