VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I tried to search around, but I honestly couldn't come up with the right string to find exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking about building a HTPC with some old parts I have around. The last time I had one people only had cable boxes with 99 channels that flipped between A and B.

I'm trying to figure out if I had one HTPC as 'Main' that had a quad-tuner is there a way to watching one channel in the main room, then another channel at the same time on a different pc in another room (and any combination of watching/recording there within).

Secondary question since I'm making this post: Other than having different computers hooked up to different televisions is there some sort of media box that can accomplish the same goal? (I guess like a Boxee type product). With one of these boxes am I able to accomplish what I want with my first question?

My ultimate goal here is to eliminate all cable boxes from the network provider.

Thanks guys,

Dark
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By quad tuner, do you mean the Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner? If so, according to Ceton InfiniTV supports Network Tuning (Tuner Sharing. Their FAQ states the following:

A: Yes. All InfiniTV models support Network Tuner capabilities. Network Tuners enable individual tuners on a multi-tuner InfiniTV device to be assigned to additional Windows 7 PCs, bringing live, premium, high-definition cable TV to multiple PCs in the home. This capability is enabled using a simple setup application that integrates seamlessly with the Windows Media Center user interface.
    Just so you know, a CableCARD tuner won't completely replace a cablebox. CableCARD tuners don't provide two-way communication for interactive functions like On-Demand and Pay-Per-View, so those won't be available.

There are other limitations too. Unprotected .wtv files can be watched on any of your PCs, but copy protected .wtv recordings are only going to be viewable using the PC that made them. Making any hardware changes to the CPU, motherboard, or system hard drive has the potential of making protected recordings unavaliable for the PC that made them. Doing a fresh install of Windows 7 will also make protected protected recordings unavaliable for the PC that made them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MisterDark View Post
    Secondary question since I'm making this post: Other than having different computers hooked up to different televisions is there some sort of media box that can accomplish the same goal? (I guess like a Boxee type product). With one of these boxes am I able to accomplish what I want with my first question?
    I didn't have time to answer this last time... Windows 7's Media Center allows the use of XBox 360's as networked media extenders . http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-a-Windows-Media-Center-Extender-device There are no other devices still made today that can be used as a media extender instead of an XBox 360.

Because PC's must use an HDCP protected path when connected to a TV or monitor to pass the Media Center Digital Cable Advisor's tests for installing a CableCARD, I suspect the XBox 360 must be connected to the TV with an HDMI cable to be used as a media extender.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    By quad tuner, do you mean the Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner?
    Or, if you can live with three tuners, there's the SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime. There's also a six channel version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    By quad tuner, do you mean the Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner?
    Or, if you can live with three tuners, there's the SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime. There's also a six channel version.
    +1 for the SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime. I have one and it works well. As to PPV and the cablecard ComCast has a lot of their PPV stuff available to stream from the internet. 3 'PVR HD Cable Boxes' for $130 (one time purchase) ain't bad. I think ComCast charges $25 per PVR per Month around here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The SiliconDust tuners have networking built-in, so in some ways they are the better product for this application. Their 3-tuner model uses one CableCARD, and the 6-tuner model uses 2. The fees associated with CableCARDs vary by provider and sometimes by what the local office does. A CableCARD will cost less than a regular cable box, but sometimes not much less. A Tuning Adapter is also needed for digital cable providers which use switched digital video.

CableCARDS and Tuning Adapters are used by cable TV services, such as FIOS, Comcast, or Time-Warner. ...but IPTV providers, such as AT&T U-verse, don't use them. You'll have no choice but to use your provider's set-top box if you have IPTV service rather than cable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. mediaportal is an opensource software that will provide some of what you want. eg 1 main PC recoridng and then streaming out to other PC's. It may or may not work with the hardware you have
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog View Post
    mediaportal is an opensource software that will provide some of what you want. eg 1 main PC recoridng and then streaming out to other PC's. It may or may not work with the hardware you have
    Windows Media Center is an absolute requirement for those who want to use a CableCARD tuner for watching encrypted digital channels. It will encrypt its recordings if the recorded channel has copy-once protection, so they can't be converted, and so nothing else can play them. All digital cable channels are eligible for copy-once protection, except local broadcast channels.

Other PVR software may work with some CableCARD tuners for unencrypted digital channels, but the FCC dropped its requirement to provide any a week ago, which means any that exist now are likely to be gone in a few months. MediaPortal can only play unprotected .wtv recordings once they are converted.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Oct 2012 at 10:04.
    Quote Quote