VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have browsed the web for hours looking for an answer to this question. I use a Hauppauge HD PVR to record gameplay off my TV. It works great other than the fact it records in .ts. I tried clicking the "Auto Convert files to .mpg" in the Advanced Options, but it didn't do it. I've tested it several times, dug through all my files, but it really just doesn't seem to be doing it. I really don't want to use a conversion software, because it takes hours to convert my often lengthy videos to something I can use to edit. I also would prefer to not use another editing software. Does anyone know why WinTV isn't converting the files for me? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Run one of the TS files through MediaInfo (you CAN install it without any adware if you install it carefully) to tell us exactly what recording settings you are using. I only record with WinTV7 in mpeg2 and have it set to auto-convert to .mpg....but you need to NOT shut down WinTV7 until it has completed the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll run it through MediaInfo in a moment, but that might be the problem. I usually shut down WinTV as soon as I'm done with it. Is there a progress bar anywhere or a way to see how long it takes?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Linkist View Post
    I have browsed the web for hours looking for an answer to this question. I use a Hauppauge HD PVR to record gameplay off my TV. It works great other than the fact it records in .ts. I tried clicking the "Auto Convert files to .mpg" in the Advanced Options, but it didn't do it. I've tested it several times, dug through all my files, but it really just doesn't seem to be doing it. I really don't want to use a conversion software, because it takes hours to convert my often lengthy videos to something I can use to edit. I also would prefer to not use another editing software. Does anyone know why WinTV isn't converting the files for me? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks.
    I think "Auto Convert files to .mpg" only works for Hauppauge capture devices and TV cards that output an MPEG-2 .ts file. I do not think that option re-encodes the video and audio inside the .ts. It just changes the container.

The HD-PVR produces an H.264 .ts file. The .mpg container only supports MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, so simply changing the container to .mpg doesn't work for an H.264 .ts file. You need to use conversion software to create an .mpg file from an H.264 source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo says the files are AVC video and AC-3 Audio
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo says the files are AVC video and AC-3 Audio
    AVC is the same as H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so basically I have to convert the videos? That's what I've been doing, but it sometimes takes literally DAYS to convert when I have hours of footage. It sucks because I'd rather not lose quality, but it takes so long and my laptop is not the best hardware around so it makes everything else slower. Guess I either have to decide on doing the conversions or using an editor that works with .ts.

Are there any free user-friendly video editors that I can use for ts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AviDemux....but I think you need to download a BETA version to get H264 edited correctly. Not 100% sure.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so basically I have to convert the videos? That's what I've been doing, but it sometimes takes literally DAYS to convert when I have hours of footage. It sucks because I'd rather not lose quality, but it takes so long and my laptop is not the best hardware around so it makes everything else slower. Guess I either have to decide on doing the conversions or using an editor that works with .ts.

TSSniper, which is free, may work, but probably not as well as you would like. It can't cut on any frame, just at GOP boundaries.

You have to pay to get a good H.264 editor. Members here report that Sony Vegas and VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 can cut H.264 .ts files from the HD-PVR. TS Doctor and SolveigMM Video Splitter are other programs you could try.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Linkist: I have a Hauppauge HD PVR the usb kind and I appreciate you launching this thread because I can learn from the answers you receive. I haven't activated it yet. I have been thinking that I would drop the files like you have into the Freemake Video Converter. It has some basic editing features, but there is no pass through so you would have to select a format to convert to. If you could edit the .h264 files to your liking and could export the file to same format without re-encoding is that what you ideally want? Do you have a desktop computer as well? If you did you could send these files to a usb portable drive and then send them to the desktop and you have a powerful enough processor it might breeze through these files faster, you could send the unedited files through a network if you have both the computers set up on it. I have used AviDemux in the past to try to edit .h264 and I found it would crash quite often, but when it would work that pass through was very quick. I have found Freemake Video Converter to be quite stable on most files, but you have to be careful you don't install toolbars and other stuff that you probably don't want when installing it: I wish they had a pass through option as that would be useful.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everybody for the help! I decided on just converting the files to something most video editing software can work with. I'll just have to deal with the long load times. I have video conversion software already so I might as well make use of it.
    Quote Quote