VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Windows 7 64 Bit PC with a Ceton Infinity Internal PCI card which enables me to watch & record TV shows on my Windows Media Center. I recently Reformatted my Hard Drive and therefore moved my recorded WTV files temporarily to my second hard drive. After moving files back I could no longer view my recorded TV shows due to copy protection. This is very frustrating! Is there any way around this besides using a HD Capture device? I looked all over the internet for a solution and was unable to get any information on this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't possible to view copy-protected WTV files even on the same machine that recorded them following a full Windows 7 re-install. The difficulty you are experiencing has to do with how the encryption key for PlayReady is generated.

Your only hope of playing your existing copy-protected WTV files is to restore a backup image of your system hard drive made soon after your copy-protected WTV files were recorded. However, as I understand it, after restoring from an image, any copy-protected WTV recordings made after the image was created will not play.

If you don't have a suitable backup image of your system drive, then you are out of luck. As far as I know, nobody has broken the encryption on protected .wtv files.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that the backup image must be restored to the original system drive it came from. If the image is copied to a different hard drive instead, the .wtv files will still be locked. The DRM used can detect a change if a different system drive, CPU, or motherboard are installed.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Oct 2012 at 11:52.
    Quote Quote