Aliens!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Green Card
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first one. Used to be Aliens but I don't find it's aged well, for me at least. I never thought of Alien v. Predator as an Alien movie for some silly reason but liked it anyway ... the first one anyway, never saw the second.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Eh, the first one. Yeah, the second one hasn't aged well and the third really stunk. Didn't see Resurrection. The AVP movies don't qualify, IMO. Haven't seen Prometheus yet.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not a fan.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. First one, easily. Aliens is a solid entry though, but I think Alien is quite a bit more effective and impressive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw them all. Yet, I don't have a preference. Some were more intense. Others were visually more appealing.

I don't regret watching them but some of the later ones just weren't that good. When I re-watch them I usually just do the first four and do them one after the other. So, to me they are just really one long movie.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. I do like the entire franchise. I usually would of voted for "Aliens", but I have come to appreciate the original the most. I couldn't enjoy "Alien vs Predator: Requiem" because the hybrid Alien/Predator looked interesting, but the people that made the film, lit things so badly I couldn't even see what was going on most of the time. I hate dark scenes, I always want to see what is going on in a movie.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I saw the first couple. They didn't suck, but they're not my kind of movie so I had no interest in seeing the rest.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    The AVP movies don't qualify, IMO.

Although the Alien movies are set 150 years in the future, Anderson wanted to keep continuity with the series by including a familiar actor. Henriksen plays billionaire Charles Bishop Weyland, a character that ties in with the Weyland-Yutani Corporation.

Wikipedia reference to the avp movie.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'll vote after i rent and watch prometeus in 3d tuesday.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Tell us what you think of it. I may buy the 3D version.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Prometheus was nicely done. Sadly, no Lance Henriksen.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Aliens. If you have a chance to see the director's cut instead of the theatrical one, I recommend doing so. None of the cut footage was really critical to the story, but it's still good stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Aliens. If you have a chance to see the director's cut instead of the theatrical one, I recommend doing so. None of the cut footage was really critical to the story, but it's still good stuff.

i have the usa special edition (154 min) - is that the director's cut? i haven't ever seen a separate director's edition.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alien but I had to think a moment and then the Jerry Goldsmith score sealed it. The effects are little better in the first as well.

I think that Aliens is better in the theatrical version. At least if you are going to watch it straight through its tighter and extra scenes really are not needed. The theatrical version IS the director's cut. Cameron said so himself. The longer cut is for home use and he was responsible for both versions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only saw the first 3, I think.
    And the two "vs" movies, which were watchable but not great.

I vaguely remember the 2nd one being the best. It was probably still the 80s when I last saw it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

i have the usa special edition (154 min) - is that the director's cut? i haven't ever seen a separate director's edition.
    Please do not get caught up in my terminology. That's probably it. Did you see the robot machine guns? If so, you've seen what I'm talking about. I particularly liked the scenes with those guns as I thought it added to the mood, but I do get why it was cut as the story could be told without it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The first one. 2nd one was a better action ride, but the first one just holds up well as a story, and a movie. Also, it's better because it has Harry Dean Stanton!

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Tell us what you think of it. I may buy the 3D version.

the 3d execution is very good. all the "normal" filming was done with 3d cams and it works. the added cgi parts are well done. as far as the best "alien" movie, it's a side shoot. good on it's own but not as good an action flick as one of the first 2 films. as for rating the 3d use it's right up there with hugo, avatar, and the avengers.

i'm going to have to give the nod to aliens(extended cut) as the best of the series. i like the added colonist's back story, but the automatic machine guns kind of slow the story down too much. overall it's a much better paced movie than alien. james cameron reused a whole heck of a lot of "aliens" content in his 3d movie avatar....
    --
    Quote Quote  
  22. @aedipuss:

Thanks for that, I'm ordering it. If the 3D is anywhere near as good as Hugo, it's worth having. I haven't got around yet to viewing my copy of The Avengers 3D.

I didn't know that an Aliens extended version is available on Blu-ray. Gotta get that one too.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @aedipuss:

Thanks for that, I'm ordering it. If the 3D is anywhere near as good as Hugo, it's worth having. I haven't got around yet to viewing my copy of The Avengers 3D.

I didn't know that an Aliens extended version is available on Blu-ray. Gotta get that one too.

hugo i'd still rate as the best use of 3d. i can't remember who directed it, but they had a wonderful understanding of how to make full use of 3d.

make sure to watch the deleted scenes from prometheus as some things were explained in the missing scenes. hopefully there will be an extended version with them back someday, but so far cameron has said not.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I wanted it to be Prometheus because, well...I have a thing for Charlize. A B-I-G Thing Plus, the 3d and the soundtrack are great.
    But I will have to go with the first, even if it is "rougher" looking. It is "tighter" in flow, probably by virtue of being an original idea.

Scott

Can I vote twice?

Btw, I don't consider the AvP ones to even be worthy of viewing. Predator was already a tier lower, and mashups are never even that good. Just a vehicle for studios to rake in money while they are still waiting for a new original script.

P.s. Hugo was Martin Scorsese, who obviously knows his way behind a camera
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 18th Oct 2012 at 00:39.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Btw, I don't consider the AvP ones to even be worthy of viewing. Predator was already a tier lower, and mashups are never even that good. Just a vehicle for studios to rake in money while they are still waiting for a new original script.
    There was no real plans to make avp but the fans screamed for it and the producers relented.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post

hugo i'd still rate as the best use of 3d. i can't remember who directed it, but they had a wonderful understanding of how to make full use of 3d.

make sure to watch the deleted scenes from prometheus as some things were explained in the missing scenes. hopefully there will be an extended version with them back someday, but so far cameron has said not.
    Okay, I've viewed Prometheus 3D once and I'm bemused. I'll have to watch those deleted scenes now.

I thought the 3D was very good. Not the kind of 3D with a lot of out of the TV gags; you can actually forget you're watching 3D and get absorbed by the story. But it does add a certain spaciousness and grandeur to the movie. Like Hugo. Well worth getting.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    Quote Quote  
  28. Okay, I've seen the movie a couple times now and had time to think it over. I've even participated in the very long thread about it over at the AVS forums. Here's my take on it, copied from my (second) post in that thread:

I've already stated that I liked this film. The visuals, the audio, the feel of it. But it's useless to try to analyze the story, and by the time I was half way through, I was certain of that. The movie strikes me as more a series of vignettes than a connected whole. Maybe RS intended it that way, I dunno. But you won't get far trying to apply modern dramatic conventions to it.

Not to bore everyone, but to give just two ways a drama (or tragedy) can be presented, take Shakespeare and Aeschylus.

Shakespeare is careful to explain everything to the audience, though he's not above including seemingly irrelevant details if they illuminate a man's character. And it's said that there are as many ways to play the role of Hamlet as there are actors. That is emphatically not how one could describe classic Greek tragedy.

In Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, Menas suggests to Pompey that he simply take the Triumvirs out to sea and throw Crassus and Caesar overboard. What's that got to do with Antony and Cleopatra? Well, it illuminates Pompey's character by his refusal. It also makes the audience think: how different things might have been.

In Aeschylus' Agamemnon, everything is rigorously subordinated to the theme of crime and punishment. Crime punishable by crime, punishable by crime. In fact, he repeats the theme three times with increasing intensity. The story? Well, he tears it to bits and only uses those elements that fit with his theme. He had no interest in filling in the details, which were well-known to the audience anyway.

So Agamemnon returns from the siege of Troy with the captive princess Cassandra. His wife Clytemnestra murders them and declaims to the audience that he had it coming, because he sacrificed their daughter so the ships could have favorable winds to sail. Aegisthus, her lover, comes in and says Agamemnon had it coming, but for a very different reason.

That's it, the end. But of course the audience also knew that the son of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra, Orestes, would avenge the blood guilt by killing his mother himself. Another crime. But that's enough, I think.

So what about Prometheus? If it has any theme at all, it's about mortality and man's desire to be a god. Not that I'm putting this on the level of classic Greek tragedy, far from it. But it seems to me the theme is the thing, not the story. The story itself is incoherent. As to what Ridley Scott intended, who knows?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. Finally, the story is more cohesive WRT the greater trilogy timeline. Like I said earlier about the "flow" being not as tight as previous ones, probably because of the "vignetting" you mentioned.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thanks for the reaction. You're the only one to reference my points about theme and story flow.

Lots of comments on the storytelling over at the AVS thread. Dumbest character? Dude with the "penis monster"! Smartest character? Fifield; he gets right away the whole setup is bad news. Nah, Vickers, she torches Shaw's dumbass boyfriend (the one who insisted he was okay when he manifestly wasn't). Why the hell did so-and-so do this or that or the other thing?

(I was intrigued by the David character, though. Lawrence of Arabia, the outsider angle, etc. He's disregarded, even despised, and returns the favor, doesn't he?)

Blah blah, all that commentary is futile, because the characters are futile by comparison with what they're up against. But maybe I'm falling into the trap too.

Lots of folks started their comments with:
    "If Ridley had asked me..."

Ha ha, Ridley's gotta be laughing his ass off.

I wish I could change my vote now. I do like Prometheus.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 1st Nov 2012 at 04:15.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote