VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. Can i ask where you got all these from, was it from Panasonic or elsewhere, but it was nice of you to provide them.

I will download all of them myself and upload them into my Dropbox Pro account as a backup to yours.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Can i ask where you got all these from, was it from Panasonic or elsewhere, but it was nice of you to provide them.

I will download all of them myself and upload them into my Dropbox Pro account as a backup to yours.

Cheers
    Sure, it's official Panasonic material, many thanks for the backup!

By the way, the policy of Panasonic in this case is just pathetic and unworthy to the company, so I hope everyone can find the compatible version at least here from now on.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by funnyboy View Post
    Sure, it's official Panasonic material, many thanks for the backup!

By the way, the policy of Panasonic in this case is just pathetic and unworthy to the company, so I hope everyone can find the compatible version at least here from now on.
    yes panasonic are being rediculously stupid with this, not only not offering its valued customers this software via the website, but for making so many versions whereby people who bought a particular camera can only use the version of this software that was shipped with the camera.

They should be ashamed of themselves, and i have been a Panasonic camera user for as long as i can remember, going back to the old VHS and Betacam days using their big shoulder mounted cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by funnyboy View Post
    And here comes the complete collection of the original HD Writers (and friends).
    I don't think your list is quite complete... it doesn't include the elusive version AE2.5S that the poster asked for in post #59.....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post

yes panasonic are being rediculously stupid with this, not only not offering its valued customers this software via the website, but for making so many versions whereby people who bought a particular camera can only use the version of this software that was shipped with the camera.

They should be ashamed of themselves, and i have been a Panasonic camera user for as long as i can remember, going back to the old VHS and Betacam days using their big shoulder mounted cameras.
    Absolutely agree with you, and feel the same. Loved those VHS golden years with the Panasonic cam... I should do digital copy of my records so long ago...

Originally Posted by pippas View Post

I don't think your list is quite complete... it doesn't include the elusive version AE2.5S that the poster asked for in post #59.....
    I'm so sorry disappointing you! I feel myself ashamed, and correcting my post immediately.
    Quote Quote  
  6. peterday
    Search Comp PM
    I've come late to this thread, and it maybe this question has been dealt with earlier, although I couldn't find a reference to it on a quick skim through.

I have 4 Panasonic videocams, a 700, two 750s and a 770. When I record a long concert, I end up with two or more files of 3.99GB each. If I copy these onto my hard drive using my preferred editing software PowerDirector, I find that when I join two of these 3.99GB files together on the timeline, there is a momentary gap in both the sound and the video. I can avoid this by working in HD Writer instead, but I hate that software, and it only seems to give me the option of saving to a DVD, not the hard drive. Is there a way of importing the files straight into Windows Explorer which will enable them to be stitched together smoothly?

Glenpinn, you describe using the Windows Transfer Wizard to copy the files. Surely that won't stitch the files together?

Where possible I press pause at every opportunity to avoid this issue, but last night for example I had two cameras on stage filming unattended, and had no choice but to leave them running for 50 minutes, resulting in 3 files per camera.

(Incidentally I also need 3 different versions of HD Writer to capture video from the cameras).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by peterday View Post
    Glenpinn, you describe using the Windows Transfer Wizard to copy the files. Surely that won't stitch the files together?
    These cameras, like many other similar types, will shoot the 1080/50p m2ts (avchd) video continuously, but every 22 minutes the camera will start recording the next 22 minutes as another file, and continues to do so until you actually stop recording, and each of these files will be 3.99gb in size.

However, these particular files cannot be Joined like you would do if you record clips shorter than 22 minutes.

If you simply attempt to Join these particular files like you would shorter files, yes you get this momentary pause or skip in the video, so these files must be "Combined" to create 1 single file.

This cannot happen using Windows file transfer wizard, all i do is put my SDXC card into the card reader on my editing pc, browse to the Stream Folder, then i just cut/paste the files to my working folder on my Hdd.

I then locate all of those 3.99gb files that need Combining, number them accordingly, open my Editing tool (Video ReDo Professional) and import them, and my editing software prompts me to Join them in my Joiner list, or to Combine them in the Joiner list, so i select the Combine option, i select my output format, and then i let VRD do the output file.

The finished file is then stitched together seamlessly as one single file, which i can then edit, add titles and credits, and output to whatever format i choose.

As far as the HD Writer software goes, i hate it, horrible piece of software, so i never bothered using it to Combine those 3.99gb files together, so i cannot help anyone regarding this.

If you are using Power Director to edit your files, i cannot help you with that either, seems like it is just Joining those files rather than Combine them, which is why you are getting that slight glitch at the join point.

Originally Posted by peterday View Post
    (Incidentally I also need 3 different versions of HD Writer to capture video from the cameras).
    Yes, this is the gbiggest failing by Panasonic by far, as it appears that every time they made a new model camera, they released a new version of HD Writer to use with the files shot on those cameras, and they should be shot for letting this happen, as well as not making this software freely available for download from their website, because it is their own software, so it should be made available free of charge.

I strongly urge anyone who can spare us$100 for editing software, to invest in a license for Video ReDo version 5, it is one of the best editing/encoding tools out there in this price range, it also has an amazing frame accurate cutting and joining tool, it has Smart Rendering, it supports Intel Quick Sync, and has a great little Title creation tool as well, plus they also have a wonderful Help Forum that is manned by the actual developers of this software, and VRD is one of only a small group of software developers who actually do have a Help Forum for its users to join.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/Products_TVSuite_V5.html

All my videos are shot in 1080/50p avchd using my SDT750 cameras, i edit them, add titles and credits, smart render a copy to 1080/50p mp4, and i also reconvert a copy to 720/50p mp4 as well (this is used for uploading into my Youtube channel)

This is just one of my many travel videos shot using my SDT750 camera in 1080/50p avchd, edited using VRD, and reconverted to 720/50p mp4 @ 12Mbps, and be sure to watch this video in 50p mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oIOA3LqwD8
    Last edited by glenpinn; 12th Jul 2015 at 01:24.
    Quote Quote  
  8. peterday
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for this. One other question, do you think the 22 minute restriction is part of the camera's functioning, or is it the result of using SDHC cards with their 4GB limit? I'm wondering about buying SDXC instead?
    Quote Quote  
  9. This will happen to all video shot with these cameras, i even suffer from it using my 64gb SDXC cards, so don't upgrade to 64gb SDXC if you do not need that capacity, as SDXC is just the 64gb version of the 32gb and lower SDHC cards.

Unfortunately, there is no fix for this with your cams.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. Advanced NLEs like Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas Pro know how to combine the spanned files correctly. VideoReDo as mentioned above, and TMPGEnc Smart Renderer can also join them properly.

Whatever software you use relies on the complete data structure from the cards and not simply the .mts files.

The shorter 22 min or so files actually make for snappier editing as the NLE is able to work with the material behind the scenes in more "bite size" chunks. It also circumvents legacy file size issues. It's pretty clever if used as intended, but can get very frustrating if you go off-road.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Whatever software you use relies on the complete data structure from the cards and not simply the .mts files.
    This is most definately NOT correct in all cases, however it may be for some editing software, including HD Writer, but i will guarentee you right now that VRD does not require anything except the 3.99gb .MTS files to seamlessly stitch the files together, and i have stated this many times in this forum.

I simply remove my SDXC card from my camera, load it into my card reader, i browse to the Stream folder and grab each individual .MTS file (numbered numerically 00000/00001/00002/00003 etc) and dump them into my work folder, and i open VideoReDo, import each of those 3.99gb files and use the Combine option in the joiner tool, and VRD seamlessly joins them together, one of the best things about using VRD.

If i use the JOIN option to join these spanned files, my files have a glitch at the join points in the video.

I will even film the process for anyone who wishes to see VRD in action (not sure how to go about doing a video screen capture of the whole process)

Cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 12th Jul 2015 at 08:59.
    Quote Quote  
  12. @glenpinn -- VRD can do it and hats off to them. I'm an admirer of their product. But VRD is the only reliable product that requires not using the card structure -- you must dig into the stream folder to get the pieces.

Almost everything else depends on the entire card structure. So for archival or future-use purposes it's a very good habit to keep that intact.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    you must dig into the stream folder to get the pieces.

Almost everything else depends on the entire card structure. So for archival or future-use purposes it's a very good habit to keep that intact.
    Firstly, "you must dig into the stream folder to get the pieces" well its not like it is a difficult task to do, easy to locate that folder, and the only files inside the stream folder are the .MTS files that were shot with the camera.

The only thing is that there is no way you can visibly tell if any of the .MTS files in that folder are part of a spanned structure, you need to physically check the file, or the properties of the file to find this out.

I know people who use VRD who had some spanned files, and imported them into the VRD joiner list using the "Join" option rather than the "Combine" option and they only noticed the glitch at the join much later on, when they should have, by practice, checked every join to make sure they were right.

Great if you retained all the original .MTS files you can start over and combine them properly, too bad if you already deleted them, you cannot do anything to fix the glitch.

Secondly, what do you mean by "almost everything else depends on the entire card structure" by this do you mean other software depends on this being the case ?

Thirdly, i have no need to retain any of the card structure, once i take the individual spanned .MTS files from the stream folder, thats it, i can do whatever i like with them, i have no use for any of the remaining card contents, with VRD i dont need to keep them, once i have combined my spanned .MTS files with VRD into a single .M2TS file, that becomes my archival file, forget about everything else.

With the single .M2TS file i can take it into any other software and work with it.

If others are using other software to combine spanned .MTS files, and that software requires the entire card contents to complete this task, then once the combining has completed, why would they need to retain that card structure, they can simply retain the single output file (.MTS/.M2TS or whatever) for archival purposes.

Anyway, i think VRD is worth the cost of the us$100 license even if you only use it to combine spanned .MTS files, but VRD is the full package for me, i never have to use any other software to produce my finished videos.

Cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 12th Jul 2015 at 11:09.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by peterday View Post

I have 4 Panasonic videocams, a 700, two 750s and a 770. When I record a long concert, I end up with two or more files of 3.99GB each. If I copy these onto my hard drive..... I find that when I join two of these 3.99GB files together on the timeline, there is a momentary gap in both the sound and the video.
    To overcome this problem, I use a little free utility that originated here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?161735-mts-clip-join-tool

However, you need to be registered with that forum to download it from there. I've attached a copy to this post if that's easier . Just unzip and run the exe (it's portable, so no need to install)

It was originally intended for use with joining AVCHD files that cross the 4GB limit from the Panasonic HMC 150 camcorder, but it certainly works fine with the AVCHD files from my Panasonic SD5. So it should probably work OK here as well.

As I say, its tiny, free and portable, so if it doesn't work out for more recent Panasonic AVCHD files, there's no cost....

I say 'more recent types' because as we know from this thread already, different Panasonic AVCHD files can need different versions of HD writer, so they may not all be compatible with this early tool?.......
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Firstly, "you must dig into the stream folder to get the pieces" well its not like it is a difficult task to do, easy to locate that folder, and the only files inside the stream folder are the .MTS files that were shot with the camera.
    Did not mean to imply it was difficult, just necessary. Other software only needs to be pointed to the "PRIVATE" folder or higher.

Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Secondly, what do you mean by "almost everything else depends on the entire card structure" by this do you mean other software depends on this being the case ?
    Yes. Specifically Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, Edius, FCPX and other advanced level NLEs count on, subscribe to and understand this structure.

Thirdly, i have no need to retain any of the card structure, once i take the individual spanned .MTS files from the stream folder, thats it, i can do whatever i like with them, i have no use for any of the remaining card contents, with VRD i dont need to keep them, once i have combined my spanned .MTS files with VRD into a single .M2TS file, that becomes my archival file, forget about everything else.
    That's fine for you. It works -- that's great.

I come from a different environment where projects may be resurrected years later by different editors, or I may be resurrecting a project someone else has started. Many folks, less responsible than you, ruin the originals by trying to be helpful -- converting to ProRes or AIC is a common malpractice. I always prefer a pristine copy of the camera original that I can handle as I see fit according to the needs of the particular project.

Nothing against videoredo. I like it. It's excellent. Just trying to present other, more standardized options as well, and good archival habits.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Many folks, less responsible than you, ruin the originals by trying to be helpful -- converting to ProRes or AIC is a common malpractice. I always prefer a pristine copy of the camera original that I can handle as I see fit according to the needs of the particular project.
    I second this, making convenient copies is fine but always keep the original files in the original codec and file structure format.

Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I second this, making convenient copies is fine but always keep the original files in the original codec and file structure format.
    Yes well that might be fine for those who use editing software that absolutely requires the complete contents from the Card to combine those spanned files, however i figure that i am very fortunate to be able to do things differently by using VRD, where i am able to drag the spanned .MTS files from the card to my working folder to Combine them using the built in Smart Render tool, and retain the exact same .MTS file that was shot with the camera, which i then retain for Archival purposes, without having to retain the remaining contents of the card.

The same applies to single .MTS files that are under the 3.99gb spanned limit, i drag those from the card into a working folder, add them to the Joiner list using the normal "Join" option rather than Combine them, and Smart Render those as a single .MTS file for Archiving, then i do my editing.

I may not do things the way others do them, but i choose to use VRD for several very good reasons, but having the ability to Combine these spanned files simply by keeping the .MTS files for me is one of the main reasons for using this software, along with its frame accurate cutting tool, a very nice Title creation tool, as well as the built in Smart Render tool, plus all my Archived files are a single .MTS file for each project that i can grab at any time in the future to work on.

Cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 12th Jul 2015 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Yes well that might be fine for those who use editing software that absolutely requires the complete contents from the Card to combine those spanned files, however i figure that i am very fortunate to be able to do things differently by using VRD, where i am able to drag the spanned .MTS files from the card to my working folder to Combine them using the built in Smart Render tool, and retain the exact same .MTS file that was shot with the camera, which i then retain for Archival purposes, without having to retain the remaining contents of the card.
    The thing is does it work that easy 15-20 years from now?

Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    The thing is does it work that easy 15-20 years from now?
    LOL well i could be asking you the very same thing about the way you guys do things with your structured card folders, in the end i have my original .MTS files that were shot from the camera onto the SDXC card, files that can be imported into almost all editing software to work with.

I see no reason why things will be any different in 15 years time, some people will still be shooting AVCHD video like this, just as DVD format is still a very widely used format after all these decades.

The only thing i do with my completed 1080/50p MTS files is that i smart render a copy to an MP4 container (no re-encoding needed thanks to VRD) for tv playback support, either via the HD tv built in media player (via usb) or via those USB Hdd media players.

I also re-encode a copy to 720/50p MP4 as well, for those who have older HD tv that will not support 1080/50p playback.

VRD does an amazing job of encoding my 1080/50p files into 720/50p mp4 at 12Mbps, just a shame that Youtube destroys them by dropping the bitrate to 2.0Mbps after they are uploaded, but hey, you can't have it all, least they still look ok.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    To overcome this problem, I use a little free utility that originated here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?161735-mts-clip-join-tool
    Going to check this little tool out tonight when i shoot some video spanned videos on my camera

I also found another small tool here in the forum called Lehmann Video Tool that may seamlessly combine spanned .MTS files as well, have not tested it out yet as i have no current 3.99gb spanned files to test it with, but i don't see why it shouln't do it, as it too was designed simply to join (and possibly combine) .MTS or .M2TS camera files together.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the very useful links to the software. I too have lost the CD (it had AE 5.0 on it). I saw on the Panasonic website that they had released a new version of HD Writer AE 5.2. Would anyone be able to post a download link? I wonder if they actually improve the software or just add compatibility with newer cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Apparently you cannot use a different version of this software other than the version that came with the camera.

I raised this in one of these thrads, thinking you can use a newer release, and some of the members claimed they can't, yet why would Panasonic do this, why release a certain version that is only applicable to the cams released at that time, it just defies logic.

Then again, this is Panasonic, yeah they make some of the best cams out there, but their service and support is terrible.

Please, if anyone who has a particular version working with their videos from the camera, and has upgraded their HD Writer software and it works, let us know for sure.

I too would be curious if the new versions include any better functionality.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    You are right. Panasonic is a little ridiculous in their support. I have a V720 camera and it came bundled with AE 5.0. I tried AE 5.1 and it worked. I'm assuming that AE 5.2 would also work and maybe they would have added new features. But no feature summary from Panasonic.

On another the v720 is a great outdoor camera, but I'm having indoor low light issues indoors in sunny even on sunny day - video is grainy when there is not 100% light. Would getting an light accessory help? I would be all for it but I;m concerned that if I use the light during the day it will not make the scene natural.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Shooting video with consumer cams can be a real headache, and getting the right condition can be a right pain in the butt, so many will just try and avoid it.

Almost all consumer grade cams, as well as many prosumer cams will perform poorly in low light situations, even many professional grade cams do not perform well at night or in poor lighting, even during the day, and it often comes down to the size of the sensor in the cam, as well as the type of lighting that is on hand.

Inside a house during the day, and at night, you are met with lots of difficulties with lighting, and everyone will employ different methods to overcome this.

Your cam has a single 1/2.3 CMOS Sensor, which i personally don't think is near as good as the 3x individual 1/4.1 3MOS sensor that is used in my SDT750 cams for low light and color reproduction, and i still wish they made these 3MOS sensors in the new Cams as well, but it seems all manufcturers have moved away from using them and gone to the single CMOS type.

Maybe we need a new thread in the Camcorder section dedicated to shooting video in low light, be it inside or outside, and under various lighting conditions, as i have already done my own inside lighting tests using my Panasonic HDC-SDT750 Cams, and the results are interesting.

I will create a new thread and post the link to my video, which i will post up into youtube in 720/50p mp4 format.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 16th Aug 2015 at 23:57.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by tkasparik View Post
    You are right. Panasonic is a little ridiculous in their support. I have a V720 camera and it came bundled with AE 5.0. I tried AE 5.1 and it worked. I'm assuming that AE 5.2 would also work and maybe they would have added new features. But no feature summary from Panasonic.

On another the v720 is a great outdoor camera, but I'm having indoor low light issues indoors in sunny even on sunny day - video is grainy when there is not 100% light. Would getting an light accessory help? I would be all for it but I;m concerned that if I use the light during the day it will not make the scene natural.
    Hi
    If you have any 2015 Camcorders as listed below HD Writer 5.2 is not in the Box. You have to download from the Link below and then
    Enter the 11-digit alpha-numeric code,located at the Battery holder of the High Definition Video Camera.
    Download Link:
    http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/download/f_ae52.html
    2015 Models:
    HC-V760, HC-V770, HC-V770M, HC-V777, HC-VX870, HC-VX870M, VX878-HC, HC-W870M, HC-WX970, HC -WX970M og HC-WX979.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by dhnj View Post
    If you have any 2015 Camcorders as listed below HD Writer 5.2 is not in the Box. You have to download from the Link below and then
    Enter the 11-digit alpha-numeric code,located at the Battery holder of the High Definition Video Camera.
    Download Link:
    http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/download/f_ae52.html
    2015 Models:
    HC-V760, HC-V770, HC-V770M, HC-V777, HC-VX870, HC-VX870M, VX878-HC, HC-W870M, HC-WX970, HC -WX970M og HC-WX979.

Cheers
    More rediculously stupid nonsense by Panasonic, i just don't get why they do this to their customers ?

but more to the point, can someone please explain to me what they use this software for precisely, and what software are you using to edit your videos with, you can't do that with HD Writer.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    ....... can someone please explain to me what they use this software for precisely, and what software are you using to edit your videos with, you can't do that with HD Writer.
    I only use HD Writer to import the complete folder structures from the SD card. I tend to keep some of my original clips in HD writer, and use it for previews of the original footage...

When it comes to editing, I always convert the original .m2ts video files into an intermediate format, which is much simpler to work with.

Although the newer versions of most consumer NLEs can cope with the highly compressed H.264 format of HD video, they seem to rely on various 'tricks' - like proxies and smart rendering - to work effectively with editing these long GOP formats.

All very clever, but I prefer intraframe footage for editing purposes....then use Virtualdub and Avisynth for most of my edits. I do have an old version of Edius Neo which works quite well.. especially with their own HQX intermediate format (understandably)

One thing about sticking with intraframe video and Virtualdub... it doesn't make much difference whether you are editing SD, HD or 4K video.... it all works pretty smoothly (The 4K is a little bit slower of course!)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Ahh yes the Virtualdub/Avisynth expert

I think the topic of HD Writer has been tossed about recently, where i mentioned the fact that Video ReDo can import the 3.99gb spanned MTS files from the Stream folder on the SD card to combine them into a single file, as these cannot be Joined together in the same way that single non spanned files can be.

The other nice thing about VRD (i use the Pro version with the x264 encoder) is the ability to edit and add titles to my 1080/50p MTS files, and smart render back to the original MTS or MP4 without re-encoding the video (or most of it i should say)

I think we had already discussed editing 4k XAVC-S video in another of my threads as well.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Ahh yes the Virtualdub/Avisynth expert
    User?- yes ....... Expert? - no! There are some very expert Vdub and Avisnyth users who post on this forum. Sadly, I do not count myself among them. But as a hobbyist, I do enjoy just playing around with some of these very powerful video tools.

Unfortunately, they tend to have quite steep learning curves - which can put a lot of folk off....
    So there's still a pretty healthy market for the makers of consumer NLEs who have found various ways of 'making' highly compressed HD video files much easier to edit....without the need for users to climb very high up the 'geek' ladder!
    Quote Quote