VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a Panasonic camcorder and I have also been wondering about this. I found a couple of references saying that the reason is that the software is not developed by Panasonic and they can't offer it freely for download due to licensing issues. They should really sort it out somehow, this is very incovenient. Thanks for the download here though!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ajk View Post
    I've got a Panasonic camcorder and I have also been wondering about this. I found a couple of references saying that the reason is that the software is not developed by Panasonic and they can't offer it freely for download due to licensing issues. They should really sort it out somehow, this is very incovenient. Thanks for the download here though!
    yes a lot of people seem to lose their disc for some reason, and i am one who always advises people to not only keep their discs stored safely somewhere, but they should also create a folder on their hdd and rip the contents of that software disc into the folder so it can be installed directly from the folder on your pc or laptop without having to find the disc.

also burn another copy of the disc jut in case.

i just wish i could get a copy of version 4.0 to offer you people, but the one i thought i was getting from a friend several days ago didnt eventuate yet, so i am still hopeful something will happen, when it does i will post a link to it in this forum.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my case the disk isn't missing, but the version supplied with the camcorder simply doesn't work that well. This newer one seems to be better. In the meantime I just copied files off the memory card, but doing it that way often yields little glitches in the video, must be some of the AVCHD metadata missing or whatever. When transferred via HD Writer everything works properly so it's a necessary evil I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ajk View Post
    In my case the disk isn't missing, but the version supplied with the camcorder simply doesn't work that well. This newer one seems to be better. In the meantime I just copied files off the memory card, but doing it that way often yields little glitches in the video, must be some of the AVCHD metadata missing or whatever. When transferred via HD Writer everything works properly so it's a necessary evil I guess.
    i never use this software with my 1080/50p video files shot on all my panasonic cams, all i do is put my sdxc cards into my editing pc card reader, open the stream folder on the card, and i manually copy all the recorded BDAV files (MTS) to my main hdd for editing, and i have never had any problems doing it this way, and it should never cause any issues in your video because the HDWriter software is still moving your files to your hdd anyway.

if you prefer using this software then thats ok i guess, but it definately is not required for moving and/or editing your files.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't prefer it at all, it's very clunky, but there clearly is a difference (with the SD900 in any case). I'll have to save some examples next time it happens.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ajk View Post
    I don't prefer it at all, it's very clunky, but there clearly is a difference (with the SD900 in any case). I'll have to save some examples next time it happens.
    personally i think HDWriter is horrible to use, and i still dont see how anyone could use it.

anyway, i have owned a TM700, SD700, TM900, SD900 and currently have 2 of the really nice HDC-SDT750 cams (the first consumer 3D camcorders made) plus an AG-AC90 which i now use to shoot weddings with, and have always either used a USB cable plugged into the camera to mover the BDAV files to my hdd, or as mentioned, now i have a new 23" Dell 2330 AIO desktop editing pc, i remove the sdxc cards and use the card reader and i dont need to drag any other files from the card except for the MTS files (numbered 00001/00002 etc

can you explain what the glitch is that you experience with your files if you dont use the HDWiter software, because i will predict it has nothing to do with not using HDWriter, and i know many other videographers who drag their camera files straight from their cards like i do and never have to use a specific tool to do it with.

thats just my take on it from experience dragging files from the camera or the cards just using windows.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also used a separate card reader to copy the .MTS files with.

The glitches are usually nothing major, just some little encoding-error type things where a part of the image isn't updated properly or moves somehow unexpectedly, most often at the start of a clip. Often I didn't notice anything was wrong until I had already cleared the memory card. Showed up in VLC and through avisynth/ffvideosource as well (they probably use the same h.264 code I suppose).

Then, the last time it happened, I tried exporting the video through HD Writer and the glitches weren't there. But it could be that I also did some rough editing while at it, so perhaps HD Writer did perform some degree of transcoding and did not just make a pure copy. I haven't used the camcorder recently so this is not in fresh memory, but I'll look into it when I have a moment.
    Quote Quote  
  8. very interesting.

it would be interesting to hear from others who use HDWriter and have used the "copy" method like i do direct from my card to my pc, and see if they have noticed anything unusual.

without seeing it in person myself its pretty difficult to diagnose.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I had the camcorder in my pocket today and I shot a couple of test clips. This first one of the ice skating rink has a glitch around frame 420 when copied directly from the memory card (.MTS), but no glitch when exported via HD Writer (.m2ts).

I've made the sample images and video clips available here. 00084 is the clip with the glitch, 00090 seems to be good (though I didn't look closely for less obvious errors).

As far as I understand the difference between .mts and .m2ts should be a single time stamp. But I had a look with a binary compare tool, and the files have considerable differences in some areas. Could it be that the camcorder notices if it makes an error when saving the stream, makes a note of it in the other files somewhere, and then applies it during the export process thus fixing the glitch?
    Quote Quote  
  10. this is very interesting indeed, you have done well to spot this glitch, and i have no idea why it is happening, very odd indeed, so i suggest that this be directed more at DanR or Dan203 as they are part of the development team (well i know DanR is) and Dan203 is one of the moderators who helps with all the technical stuff.

i wish i could help more.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ajk View Post
    I also used a separate card reader to copy the .MTS files with.

The glitches are usually nothing major, just some little encoding-error type things where a part of the image isn't updated properly or moves somehow unexpectedly, most often at the start of a clip. Often I didn't notice anything was wrong until I had already cleared the memory card. Showed up in VLC and through avisynth/ffvideosource as well (they probably use the same h.264 code I suppose).

Then, the last time it happened, I tried exporting the video through HD Writer and the glitches weren't there. But it could be that I also did some rough editing while at it, so perhaps HD Writer did perform some degree of transcoding and did not just make a pure copy. I haven't used the camcorder recently so this is not in fresh memory, but I'll look into it when I have a moment.
    my 2 cents worth
    disclaimer ( I have the HDC-HS900, so I COULD be way off base - as I save to camcorder HD)

I'm guessing (trying to compare my use with yours as closely as I can)

when I transfer FULL HD the files from the hard drive to computer via cable they are .m2ts 1920x1080 50 frames regardless of program
    (ie: explorer / HD Writer)

when I transfer files from the hard drive to SD card in the camcorder they are .mts 1920x1080 25, and the output quality is user selectable (ie:HA, HG, HX HE)

I believe your problem may lay in your SD card possibly being faulty, or the error is being generated when the conversion from m2ts to mts is happening, when you use the 2 different methods,
    • 1 is via cable to your pc
    • the other is via sd card either directly (laptop ?) or in a reader
    is this correct ?

so then the problem must lay with either the transfer or the card .... try another card or possibly format the card in the camcorder (ALWAYS the best process)

for what it's worth ..... IMHO ..... HD Writer (3) is a terribly laid out program that is simple beyond belief, (simple in capabilities not operation)

what system of TV do you use in Finland ? PAL or NTSC, check you have the correct settings on the camera AND HD Writer, I believe the camcorder and software default settings are NTSC, and if you weren't vigilant you may have missed this

a reasonable quality / priced program you could try is MPEG Video Wizard DVD (Womble) ($100 ?) primarily SD, but it will handle HD files (in the mts format) and output to .mp4.... very easy to use and only re-encodes where needed
    it's available for 30 day trial download - fully functioning ... it may need some tweaks to handle the files - but I can help you with that if you decide to try it
    I have now moved onto Corel Videostudio, because Womble doesn't like the 1920x 1080 50 files, but I prefer the editing function in Womble over any other editor I've used - again there are some simple tricks, again if you decide to try it let me know

regards Grant
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input, sorry for not replying sooner but I hadn't used the camcorder for a while until again now.

Originally Posted by Grunta View Post
    when I transfer FULL HD the files from the hard drive to computer via cable they are .m2ts 1920x1080 50 frames regardless of program
    (ie: explorer / HD Writer)

when I transfer files from the hard drive to SD card in the camcorder they are .mts 1920x1080 25, and the output quality is user selectable (ie:HA, HG, HX HE)
    I have always used a card reader, and then either copied the files directly (Windows Explorer) and get the start glitches, or by using HD Writer AE. I've just now transferred a bunch of material for a new project, and I only got one slight glitch when using the HD Writer method, and that was in the middle of a file.

I believe your problem may lay in your SD card possibly being faulty
    I'm starting to lean this way. It clearly can't be completely broken, as I can format it and do anything without problems. But there could be some minor issue that corrupts a bit here and one there. Still, there is a clear difference between just copying files off the card, and copying them via HD Writer. The latter must have some sort of error correction. I just don't know enough about what it does exactly when transferring the files.

try another card or possibly format the card in the camcorder (ALWAYS the best process)
    Yep I always format the card in the camcorder after I empty it to the computer.

what system of TV do you use in Finland ? PAL or NTSC, check you have the correct settings on the camera AND HD Writer, I believe the camcorder and software default settings are NTSC, and if you weren't vigilant you may have missed this
    PAL, like all of Europe. Is the camcorder even switchable between PAL and NTSC? I don't see such an option in the menus. Anyway, if that was the problem I'd expect much more serious issues with the files, not occasional glitches.

a reasonable quality / priced program you could try is MPEG Video Wizard DVD (Womble) ($100 ?) primarily SD, but it will handle HD files (in the mts format) and output to .mp4.... very easy to use and only re-encodes where needed
    it's available for 30 day trial download - fully functioning ... it may need some tweaks to handle the files - but I can help you with that if you decide to try it
    Thanks but I'm set with the actual editing part (Sony Vegas or just AviSynth+VirtualDub for simple clips). I simply need to get the raw footage properly off the camcorder. I'll see if a new SD card helps
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What speed card do you have .... you really need a min. of class 6 but 10 would be better
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Class 10, 32GB Verbatim. I'll get a Sandisk or some other brand and see if there is any difference.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Class 10 card is recommended, anywhere from 45Mbps up to the 95Mbps, however you can use a 30Mbps card for any AVCHD video that records up to 28Mbps.

All my cards are 64gb Sandisk class 10 45Mbps for AVCHD @ 28Mbps video, but i have used Verbatim and Lexar, and I also have a 32gb class 10 Patriot card that is 30Mbps and never had any problems with that.

I use 64gb Sandisk extreme 95Mbps cards for shooting 200Mbps ProRes and RawDNG onto with a BMPCC.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-I are also an option... most come with the sd adaptor card ..... you should be able to get them for $1 per gig ... ONLY buy from reliable shop
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi everyone, regarding my Panasonic HD Writer software, i am in the process of moving cloud storage to Dropbox, so when my software has been uploaded, i will post the link to the download when it is done.

meanwhile my current mediafire account will only be active for another 3 months.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    EDIT: hi everyone, just to save any confusion, this is the New link for my copy of Panasonic HD Writer 3.0 as of October 4th 2014

If the link fails anytime, please send me an Email, via my profile page i believe.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kx2dw8xixf9jtkr/AABqDPpLhVu78pmVgBN0YQO-a?dl=0

Cheers
    Hi glenpinn,

I downloaded it, but what do I open it with? The options I'm being offered don't look right. Thanks for any advice...
    Quote Quote  
  19. UPDATE: hi everyone, these are the links for the Panasonic HD Writer software that i have myself.

just hit the link for the version you want and download the file, and when completed, extract the Folder using your favorite archiving tool.

version (5.1)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/05xwyrlhb8x2ck0/Panasonic%20HD%20Writer%20AE%20%285.1%29.7z?dl=0

version (3.0)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mogle32uhdplq1e/Panasonic%20HD%20Writer%20AE%20%283.0%29.7z?dl=0

version (2.6T)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wosa3x7ql3vgosz/Panasonic%20HD%20Writer%20AE%20%282.6T%29.7z?dl=0

Panasonic DV Studio (3.1E-SE)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgxbtb29u07kl48/Panasonic%20DV%20Studio%20%283.1E-SE%29.7z?dl=0

Panasonic VideoCam Suite (3.0)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3tbear838250dc/Panasonic%20VideoCam%20Suite%203.0.7z?dl=0

All versions of Panasonic Software can also be found in the first post at the top of page 4 of this thread.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349814-Panasonic-HD-Writer-software-no-download-Any...-options/page4

Cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 13th Aug 2015 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have Panasonic HC-V750, it's included the HD Writer 5.1 cd software.

I've experinced one time about "the glitch" when directly copy the card reader of the m2ts file to my computer hard disk.
    The "glitch" is the file has no sound, but if I copy via HD Writer (so there are 3 files then) the sound is there.

To me, HD Writer is good for basic editing - and to my surprised, exporting to final m2ts for my cut&join only editing can be considered quite fast regarding my old Pentium E4400 with a cheap mobo. 45 minutes of all the clips in the timeline took around 25 minutes to render. It seems that HD Writer did a "smart render", that's why it's fast. Too bad, it breaks to the next file after reached 4 gig limit.

I'm sorry I can't upload the contain of the HD Writer CD (363 mb), because of my slow internet connection
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have a nice dropbox link to HD Writer 2.0?

I'd even just take the batch file that I can't seem to download from the panasonic website. I can get the meat and potatoes files but not the brains.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  22. why not just download my 3.0 version, it is complete, and just the newer version up from version 2.0 ???
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    why not just download my 3.0 version, it is complete, and just the newer version up from version 2.0 ???
    yep, first thing I tried, but i can't seem to get it to work. I'll have to try again to play with its features in the meantime.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi,

As my first post in this forum, I wanted to share this, You can download any Version of HD Writer AE (from Version 1 to 5.1)at Panasonic Russia Website plus other softwares. Check this :

http://panasonic.ru/support/download/driver/index.php?AGREE=YES&USECTION_ID=45457

God Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Edited
    Last edited by glenpinn; 13th Aug 2015 at 21:38.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Panasonic HD Writer (5.1) is now in my Dropbox account and available for download.
    Thank you!
    I have time to time noticed glitches in later times. I bought a 64 GB 45 MB/S card to use in the first place, because I thought the internal memory failed.
    Earlier I used HD Writer 3.0 and newer noticed glitches. Otherwise I like the TM900 very much. I produce documentary films about interesting things in our surroundings and the last film about an old carpentry was visited by 200 paying people yesterday. Nowadays I use Sony Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio. They are excellent editing programs.
    Cheers
    Bosse, Sweden
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i boutght panasonic hdc-mdh1,i want it software hd writer plz help me
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Asif Kamran View Post
    i boutght panasonic hdc-mdh1,i want it software hd writer plz help me
    it is in my link 3 posts above this one.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i want hd writer ae 2.5s .plz send me link
    Quote Quote  
  30. UPDATE: hi everyone, these are the links for the Panasonic HD Writer software that i have myself.

just hit the link for the version you want and download the file, and when completed, extract the Folder using your favorite archiving tool.

version (5.1)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/05xwyrlhb8x2ck0/Panasonic%20HD%20Writer%20AE%20%285.1%29.7z?dl=0

version (3.0)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mogle32uhdplq1e/Panasonic%20HD%20Writer%20AE%20%283.0%29.7z?dl=0

version (2.6T)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wosa3x7ql3vgosz/Panasonic%20HD%20Writer%20AE%20%282.6T%29.7z?dl=0

Panasonic DV Studio (3.1E-SE)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgxbtb29u07kl48/Panasonic%20DV%20Studio%20%283.1E-SE%29.7z?dl=0

Panasonic VideoCam Suite (3.0)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3tbear838250dc/Panasonic%20VideoCam%20Suite%203.0.7z?dl=0

All versions of Panasonic Software can also be found in the first post at the top of page 4 of this thread.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349814-Panasonic-HD-Writer-software-no-download-Any...-options/page4

Cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 13th Aug 2015 at 21:38.
    Quote Quote