VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Well I recived a new VCD recorder, and can record live broadcast, and from the DVD player, but a VCR Tape still locks up when recorded to the Terapin. any ideas why. please contact me if you have any seg. Thanks mwhecloc@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. If it is an old tape this is a common problem with many video recording formats. A worn tape will likely produce corrupt sync pulses which means the Terrapin can't lock on properly to the incoming signal. If your VCR has a built in time base corrector try switching it on.

Macrovision works in this way to if your original tape is macrovision protected the vcr will output corrupt sync pulses meaning the signal is difficult to record. You can buy external devices designed to strip out the macrovision signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    This is a strange problem. The terapin will record the first 32 mins flawlessly, then, lockup, frozen picture, no sound. If the Video Sysnc is the problem, I'll switch VCRs. These tapes are not store baught, but recoreded off from cable. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the Terapin or the media. Why would all your tapes have video problems 32 minutes in? You could test this by recording live from your cable/sattelite. Just record more than 32 minutes of live broadcast and see if you experience that same problem. If you do, then you know it isn't your tapes or VCR.
    Oh, and it can't be macrovision. The Terapin isn't affected by macrovision.
    Have you tried several types and brands of media. I have tried Memorex audio grade CD-R's, Memorex Black CD-R's(just for kicks), TDK data grade CD-R's and Imation and TDK data grade CD-RW's. I've have uniformly good results with all of them.(Except for an audio sync problem on *some* DVD players, but the results are pretty much the same on all media I've tried.)
    Good luck with it.

see ya,
    Bullseye
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry! I didn't notice that you'd already said you can record from live broadcast w/ no problems. I'd borrow someone else's VCR and see if that works properly. Or you could try recording live broadcast *through* your VCR into the Terapin.(VCR outs to Terapin ins) That'd be easier, but not as good a test.
    Also, do other VCD/DVD players have trouble playing back the VCD's that freeze up after 32 min? Or does the Terapin quit recording after 32 min?
    Good luck.

see ya,
    Bullseye
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made the mistake of buyin a Terapin VCD recorder last summer.

I had the same problems that you are describing-not to mention, the video quality was sub-vhs. I sent it back as defective.

I now have a Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD recorder and I love it. You can pick one up for around $700

Good luck
    Quote Quote