VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    i mean, this never use to happen, and now all the sudden is, so i am wondering if this is something to worry about or if this is somehow related to google's doubeclick nonsense. or maybe my browser needs to be configured to remove or block this nonsense. i am using opera. thank you for any insight to this mystery.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What strange behavior?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On all videohelp pages?
    Quote Quote  
  4. As far as I remember Opera won't stop execution of unresponsive script . That's all nothing to worry about.
    ...and now someone will told you "move to other browser - it's better than opera" - I would not !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, on videohelp pages. that is. when select and open a topic and it loads. a moment later, it is refreshing.

most of the time i am busy working on other projects while the browser is in the background. but even when its not the active window, i sometimes catch it refreshing. what attracts me to this is when i see the [icon tab] change to the "refreshing" icon and then back.

-t40- no, i will not move to another browser. opera is my choice. there are pros/cons in every browser. i have IE 8 and firefox installed as well. sometimes i will use either of those two--for different reasons. but opera is my main browser.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it only happen in opera?

A javascript can refresh a page in the background. But I have no such...except when you post and are forwarded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i am also noticing that the URL bar at the top is refresh in sync. i just am not quick enought to copy/past what it changes -to- and back again via ctrl+ins keys, so i can't tell you what the contents are so far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this only happens when i'm viewing a videohelp page--when it is selected. so far, that i can tell.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, I use Opera 11.64, and the issue you describe doesn't happen to me.

Perhaps it's because your Opera's settings/preferences are much different from mine
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have v11.52

it doesn't seem to happen when i unselect scripts, F12, [ ] enable scripts. but when turn it back on [x] and refresh the page or read a new topic, it happens.

it doesn't just happen only when i'm in videohelp, when the TAB is in view. so thats good news for the admin.

so, that means i have something leaching in my brower whenever i turn on scripts. i mean, how else am i suppose to load a page if i turn scripts off. i will sometimes receive an error or the page won't display properly or completely if i turn scripts off. so its the case of the double-edge sword i guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as for my virus software, i have system sheild. some shield that is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    In my (global) Javascript options, only the checkbox "Allow resizing of windows" is enabled.

As for the settings for forum.videohelp.com especifically, Javascript is enabled, but "Allow resizing of windows" is OFF.

Besides, I disable both Java and Flash Player for most sites, and Videohelp is not an exception to this rule.

I don't use any anti-virus since the day I learned that a good firewall plus a safe web browser is all that I need , so I cannot comment about the anti-virus shield you have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm on google a lot. sometimes it takes me to webpages that inject their venum via script. i try to keep script off (F12) in opera but sometimes you have to turn it on. all this turning on/off--i loose track of which way did they go, dah! anyway. i'd like to not have a virus always on (so i can once again experience speed in web surfing) but i don't have my system ready for that at this time...too many things going on at my desk...busy busy busy..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Easier to use a Mozilla browser + NoScript.
    I gave up on Opera a long time ago. It's just behind the others.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    In Opera you can turn off Javascript by default, and enable it only for the sites you trust
    (context-menu => "Edit site preferences"). It also has a "Block content" function,
    most useful for "erasing" fugly pics and horrid avatars
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here is something else that is strange going on. i was visiting the tools section and this message (below) keeps popping up every time i go to that (tools) page.

i have script (F12) turned off but that message still pops up.

Quote Quote  
  17. http://www.v1seo.co.uk/11/what-is-wtp101-com/

Block doubleclick.com in your hosts file. In fact, block all ad servers, and most malware servers, in you hosts file:
    http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Block doubleclick.com in your hosts file. In fact, block all ad servers, and most malware servers, in you hosts file:
    That's really not good advice. A number of ad servers double as CDNs, which carry non-advertising content. Blocking doubleclick.com, for example, prevents streaming videos on many news sites. MVPS.org is really outdated methodology. I quit using it probably 6-7 years ago. The better idea is to block wtp101.com, though even it is a legitimate site, and pcon.js is safe.

The bigger issue is that Opera is a terrible browser. It doesn't know what to do, unlike Firefox, Pale Moon, Seamonkey or Chrome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    here is something else that is strange going on. i was visiting the tools section and this message (below) keeps popping up every time i go to that (tools) page.

i have script (F12) turned off but that message still pops up.
    I'm using Opera and don't get that.

I doubt it's being served by videohelp.
    There is no mention of "wtp101" in the source code.

It sounds like something on your side, I'm afraid.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    I doubt it's being served by videohelp.There is no mention of "wtp101" in the source code.
    It's being served through the ads.
    You won't necessarily get it at your geography, or even every time a page is loaded.

The local computer may also lack proper MIME settings. (vhelp's computer)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as you can tell, i'm no internet guru and i don't understand the MIME point that you brought up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A computer doesn't understand file types until told.
    MIME = file type settings.
    Lots of browsers contain additional MIME settings as well.

Your computer is confused by an imp file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i searched my whole hdd and did not see that file, pcon.js

>> There is no mention of "wtp101" in the source code.
    do you mean, in the pcon.js file ?

>> The better idea is to block wtp101.com, though even it is a legitimate site, and pcon.js is safe.
    do you mean, to add wtp101.com or g-va.wtp101.com into my "host" file ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i downloaded the host.zip file anyway. i wanted to see what it was about. i imported it into an access db so i can see if it can be useful or not. so far, it contains over 16 thousand entries--in the host file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i searched the file for "g-va.wtp101.com" but did not see the entry, but i did find a close-match, "wtrs.101com.com"
    i am wondering if i just add that one, that it will stop popping up...only one way to find out..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, so i added just that one entry only in my host file. so far i am not seeing the popup.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i downloaded the host.zip file anyway. i wanted to see what it was about. i imported it into an access db so i can see if it can be useful or not. so far, it contains over 16 thousand entries--in the host file.
    That's why I hardly ever see any ads. The hosts file is plain text. You can open it with Notepad or any other text editor. Smurf doesn't like it because he runs a web site and relies on people seeing his ads.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i didn't know where else to post this. i thought i saw a topic on "ads" but coudn't find it. so. there.

let me explain........
    first, i was just viewing this topic: https://forum.videohelp.com/showthread.php?t=360984
    then, i went to this topic: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360970-How-can-I-create-such-a-high-quality-video-on-YOUUBE

not sure what the correct term for this is. but aint this yet another way of highjacking ads ? and not even just taking them from one page and putting them on another, instead, it is incorporated in an external youtube video that i was playing. i mean, where did that ad come from ? i was viewing a post, not ads related to that topic. this must be linked to scripting of some sort. even when you turn off scripting, there will always be times when you need to turn it back on, whether to play a video or log into the forum, and so on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    google owns youtube. you downloaded the vid from youtube when you started it in the post. they can put ads anywhere anytime, unless you turn off scripts with something like noscript and use a complete hosts file ad blocking list.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but that ad seems related to the forum topic i had just visited in post # 28 and there were no ads related to "windows xp" either. so, i suspect that the ads here are highjacked in someway, sniffed, or the forum posts are read/translated to determine what ad it closely relate to and then google pushes those ads somehow, all in the same forum. this was a new experience for me with these ads and that's why i brought it up....just to complain a little about it. anyway.

so, how many times do i have to keep updating the "host" file ? is there an official website that offers updates for the IPxxxx no's to block ? or is it not even worth the hassle ?

other than that, then, i guess i'll just have to live with this nonsense.
    Quote Quote