VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody

I need to know the exact command line (with which parameters) Handbrake executes when it starts a conversion.

I had a look to Handbrake's log files, but the only options and parameters that I found are those of Handbrake itself. I need to know which are the corresponding ones used when FFmpeg actually makes the conversion (if I understood correctly that Handbrake is a GUI for FFmpeg...)

Thanks in advance!
    Falco2000, video newbie.
    Let's everyone help each other.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It doesn't use ffmpeg.exe, it uses x264.exe as the binary
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It doesn't use ffmpeg.exe, it uses x264.exe as the binary
    Even when I select "MPEG-2 (FFmpeg)" in the "video" tab > "video codec:" menu?
    Falco2000, video newbie.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I guess that would be encoding MPEG2 then, not h264 through libx264 . I didn't even know handbreak could encode MPEG2, it must be a recent addition

I assumed you were talking about h264 from your other thread
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349703-Why-Handbrake-and-FFmpeg-MP4-x-264-conversio...e-so-different
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I guess that would be encoding MPEG2 then, not h264 through libx264 . I didn't even know handbreak could encode MPEG2, it must be a recent addition

I assumed you were talking about x264 from your other thread
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349703-Why-Handbrake-and-FFmpeg-MP4-x-264-conversio...e-so-different
    Ok, it must be another mistake by me: I was convinced that Handbrake was a GUI for FFmpeg, but that's clearly wrong now.

Is there a way to DELETE these stupid and unuseful threads of mine???
    Falco2000, video newbie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is there a way to DELETE these stupid and unuseful threads of mine???
    There is no reason to delete these threads - they aren't "stupid" questions

Maybe someone in the future will have the same questions as you looking for answers ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Vidcoder does have the choice between using ffmpeg or x264 but it doesn't allow mpeg2 as output.

Correction: Handbrake gives the choice between x264 or ffmpeg also.
    Last edited by Steve(MS); 30th Sep 2012 at 15:49. Reason: correction about handbrake
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Is there a way to DELETE these stupid and unuseful threads of mine???
    There is no reason to delete these threads - they aren't "stupid" questions

Maybe someone in the future will have the same questions as you looking for answers ?
    ...yep. I've been an ffmpeg power user for years (http://www.deckerd26354.net/sites/shared/Scripts/ffmpeg/What_Are_Optimal_FFMPEG_Parame..._For_Video.htm), but I'm a newbie when it comes to using CFR instead of constant bitrate for HD and UHD titles. The only thing that handbrake doesn't do is allow users to set their own metadata, and I don't want to run handbrake then add metadata in a -C COPY command. It would be REALLY great if the next version of Handbrake would have the ability to either (or both) export handbrake's resulting parameters as an ffmpeg command, or add a feature to allow insertion of custom metadata items. 'Why would you want to do this?' - because one of these days I'll have all my movies stored in a data lake, with a streaming server such as plex or kodi on my edgenode, and it would be nice if the server could read the movie file custom metadata items. hmmm...I dunno, now that I think of it, if my suggestion doesn't happen maybe I could just use mysql to store the items anyway....comments?
    Quote Quote