VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a basic cable subscriber with Time Warner. They've moved several of my favorite channels over to their digital lineup, so I'm trying to find a digital to analog converter that'll allow me to see them as well as the old analog channels. Don't really want a box with a remote that I have to turn on and off. Just want something that does it all automatically. Anyone know of such a thing? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you will have much choice but order a converter from Time Warner, and possibly upgrade your subscription to have the channels that you want available to you. Most of Time Warner's digital channel are encrypted, and they use switched digital video too. This means third party digital tuners are not going to work well for Time Warner subscribers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    The OP needs a cable box or DTA converter from his provider to be able to view channels that were moved to a digital package. A device that removes analog copy protection from a cable box's analog output is not going to solve his problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Jacatone, so you're saying that you're running the cable line directly into your TV, but not picking up any of the digital channels, just the analog channels? What is the model of your TV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    TWC probably transmits both Analog signals & Digital Signals down it's pipe. It's keeping the Analog for Legacy customers (probably transitioning them out to all-Dig sooner or later).

So my guess is the TV is a standard NTSC (CRT?) TV, no ATSC/QAM.

***ANALOG SUNSET***

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could also be a newer ATSC/QAM set, but local cable outfits in my area encrypt all channels, making an SD-digital or HD box mandatory. You can't just hook the RF cable to a TV and tune channels any more. Eventually, even the SD-digital box will be phased out -- that's why I built a computer with the Hauppauge HD PVR to record via component from an HD box.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah, based on his other posts it sounds like he has an older Sony CRT.

Sanlyn -- I keep hearing that more and more. Luckily it is still not the case in my area, but I imagine it is only a matter of time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    Yeah, based on his other posts it sounds like he has an older Sony CRT.

Sanlyn -- I keep hearing that more and more. Luckily it is still not the case in my area, but I imagine it is only a matter of time.
    Yes. It is a pretty much a matter of time before larger cable operators eliminate the opportunity to watch any channels without using a cable box or DTA..

The FCC already dropped the requirement to provide locals in analog format in June. It is now entirely up to the cable operator to decide if any analog channels will be provided.

In the past, cable operators needed a waiver to encrypt digital locals, but that is likely to change soon. The FCC has had the requirement for unencrypted carriage of local channel in digital form under review for about a year to allow the public a chance to participate in the discussion. However the FCC announced early on that they saw no reason to keep the requirement if all digital subscribers were issued a cable box or DTA as part of their service.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    In the past, cable operators needed a waiver to encrypt digital locals, but that is likely to change soon. The FCC has had the requirement for unencrypted carriage of local channel in digital form under review for about a year to allow the public a chance to participate in the discussion.
    Yeah, that sucks, too.
    I had "free cable" (basics only) because of cable internet. Now I just get internet.
    The change happened back around February.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yeah, I have one of the last Sony 35 inch CRT TVs. It weighs a frigin ton but the picture quality was great with basic cable and the analog signal. Apparently, TW is switching over to all digital in the next 5 years. They gave me a free box for a year so I could see all my channels again.

I still haven't seen one of these big screen LCD, LED TVs display a decent picture with basic cable.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jacatone View Post
    Yeah, I have one of the last Sony 35 inch CRT TVs. It weighs a frigin ton but the picture quality was great with basic cable and the analog signal. Apparently, TW is switching over to all digital in the next 5 years. They gave me a free box for a year so I could see all my channels again.

I still haven't seen one of these big screen LCD, LED TVs display a decent picture with basic cable.
    Those with HDTVs usually opt for HD service. Part of the reason standard definition digital channels looks so bad on an HDTV is they are typically encoded with a bitrate that is too low to look as good as a strong, clean analog signal.

Be happy you still have some analog channels left for your TV to tune, but get used to the idea of using a cable box or DTA from your service provider.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the HD coming over the line is such low-bitrate garbage, nothing can make them look good. That was one of the benfits of the digital switch: lower bitrate, lower power, and to hell with regulation luma or chroma levels. A good CRT is more forgiving about those things, but HDTV can't handle it. Phooey. But when HD cable is done well, it looks better.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jacatone View Post
    Yeah, I have one of the last Sony 35 inch CRT TVs. It weighs a frigin ton but the picture quality was great with basic cable and the analog signal. Apparently, TW is switching over to all digital in the next 5 years. They gave me a free box for a year so I could see all my channels again.

Can't say I blame you. I have a giant 36" Sony HD CRT that I don't see myself parting with, because the HD stuff looks good on it (though not as sharp as an LCD) but so does the SD stuff. I have a lot of VHS to DVD conversions as well, and they just rarely look acceptable on these modern LCDs.

It's been awhile though, I need to bring my test disc to the store and check out what is out there now. Last time I did that the salesguy just about had a heart attack haha. Nobody else was in the store (it was about half hour before closing time) but I don't think he'd ever seen someone come in with a DVD filled with VHS clips to go TV shopping before lol. With the press of a button, like 70 HDTVs were playing VHS lol
    Quote Quote