VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread
  1. This is about video/audio file playback. Difficult to determine whether it applies to DVD playback as well.

    I've been using Potplayer for some time now, but didn't notice this problem until the last few versions.

    I lose the first 9 seconds of any audio or video file I play on Potplayer.

    Potplayer jumps directly 9 seconds ahead whenever I start any file from the beginning. I cannot rewind to the beginning. It just automatically forces that 9 second leap if I try.

    HPC-BE, SMPlayer and GOM Player work properly in this regard. Neither one imitates this behavior.

    Thanks

    ---------------------------------
    XP SP3, PotPlayer 1.5.34115
    Quote Quote  
  2. Solved, but a good lesson if you're a Potplayer user.

    When you do a Potplayer upgrade, everything is reset to default and you initially lose any custom settings.

    Settings can be stored in one of 2 places; PotPlayerMini.ini or the registry, so you can back up before an upgrade.

    I always prefer an .ini file if given the option, but never seen any notices in their changelog or elsewhere indicating whether the default PotPlayerMini.ini has changed.

    That was my problem. I tried to use my backup PotPlayerMini.ini to restore my settings, but it was slightly different than the latest version.

    Given the extensive number of custom options available, I'm kinda surprised that they don't include a mechanism for settings retention.

    Maybe restoring settings with a backed up .reg would have produced better results, but I suspect not.

    If I am wrong, and the registry or another method is a reliable way to do this, please let me know. It's a nuisance having to go thru the settings with each upgrade

    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like somethings going on with your computer, I haven't seen that problem nor have I read anyone else experiencing it.
    Could be a codec conflict I suppose.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt it's a computer problem if his other video payers work fine. Or a codec conflict.

    I'm not sure how losing your settings with an upgrade would cause this either, but I guess it's possible and it is a design flaw.

    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the last version you had?

    I don't install betas unless 1) it solves a problem I was actually having or 2) it introduces a feature I really need. They're usually more trouble than they're worth. A truism of the software world is that when they fix one bug they seem to introduce three more. And potplayer puts outa ton of betas.

    I had it under windows because it doesn't need external non microsoft codecs but it was a distant 3rd behind smplayer and vlc. Didn't uninstall it though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I doubt it's a computer problem if his other video payers work fine. Or a codec conflict.
    I apologize if I didn't explain clearly. Everything is now working fine. I caused the the problem in the first place when I tried to replace the new potplayermini.ini with that the one that had my prefrerred settings backed up from a previous Potplayer version

    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I'm not sure how losing your settings with an upgrade would cause this either, but I guess it's possible and it is a design flaw.

    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the last version you had?
    Losing my settings did not cause anything. Replacing the fresh potplayermini.ini with an incompatible one from an older Potplayer version caused the bad behavior. When I put back the fresh potplayermini.ini and adjusted the settings manually, that fixed it.

    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I don't install betas unless 1) it solves a problem I was actually having or 2) it introduces a feature I really need. They're usually more trouble than they're worth. A truism of the software world is that when they fix one bug they seem to introduce three more. And potplayer puts outa ton of betas.
    Generally i agree, but in this case I always hang onto the stable version (easy enough to revert back) just in case there is a problem.

    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I had it under windows because it doesn't need external non microsoft codecs but it was a distant 3rd behind smplayer and vlc. Didn't uninstall it though.
    I'll bet I am in the minority opinion here, but for my purposes, I prefer Potplayer, (much improved I think and probably would be my favorite if not for this settings thing) SMPlayer, MPC-BE and Gom Player over VLC

    My main inquiry now is will a restoration of the backed up Potplayer registry settings be an effective solution, or will I have to manually make settings adjustments with each upgrade?
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads