VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Mostly I have had no problems using VOB2MPG Pro V3.2

However after converting a dvd of tv episodes, on playback with VLC the duration shown is incorrect, although the file plays in full. MediaInfo shows the correct length as does Gomplayer.

On the VLC forum I found a post that suggested that this can be fixed by changing the VLC Demux module to AVFormat Demuxer. This does 'work' but obviously leaving the setting on that module might cause problems with other videos.

So my question is how can I change either VOb2MPG or change the output video so that VLC will detect a format that does NOT require the the VLC Demux module to be changed.

This issue does not affect the the quality of the playback but it is a little confusing that the duration shown is only about 1/3 of its actual length.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think I ve found a fix. I downloaded AVIDemux, processed the the 'faulty' video, made NO changes to AviDemuxes default settings EXCEPT to specify the output format as Mpeg-PS Muxer (ff).

A 1.2 GB file took about 3 mins to process and its size was increased by about 10MB. This new video plays in both VLC & Gomplayer with the correct duration length displayed.

Somebody with more technical knowledge might be able to suggest a better solution.

The DVD was originally ripped using DVD Shrink, that output may be the initial source of the problem.

EDIT:

I have been running VOB2MPG from a desktop shortcut however on the Win7 menu there is a utility called Remux Mpgs (installed as part of Vob2MPG), guess what, ....... it fixes the issue I was having, it does add extra to the processing time about 2 mins for 1GB, but for my purposes this is good enough.

This utility is already mentioned elsewhere on this forum:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/317833-MPG-jumps-ahead

It seems this "Remux Mpgs" isnt a prg, as such rather its an 'applet' probably using ffmpeg functions.

So rather than create a shortcut on the Desktop I had to copy the menu entry and paste that instead.
    Last edited by nicv; 25th Sep 2012 at 18:09. Reason: Adding solution
    Quote Quote