VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've been shooting digital video footage in 1080/60p recording mode; after editing, I'll be burning the footage to DVD-R discs...

Is 1080/60p a mode that most DVD players can play back?

Thanks for any feedback!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVD players cannot play 1080p anything. They are limited to standard definition (720x480 in North America) at 30i.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Can 1080/60p footage be converted to a DVD player playable format?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by D.V. Dee View Post
    Can 1080/60p footage be converted to a DVD player playable format?
    Yes
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, but it will be reduced to standard definition resolution at 30i. 1080p60 isn't really even Blu-ray compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks! What process and format(s) would give me the optimum results--and make the DVDs playable on computers, too?
    Quote Quote  
  7. There's only one format playable on NTSC DVD: 720x480, 30i, MPEG 2, in a VOB container along with supporting files (created by a DVD authoring program). I don't know what easy programs there are for converting your 1080p60 source. I would do it with an AviSynth script and HcEnc. But you probably don't want to learn all that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Is there a particular software program (hopefully Open Source) that could manage that?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by D.V. Dee View Post
    Is there a particular software program (hopefully Open Source) that could manage that?
    Try Avs2DVD. Before starting you might inquire in the Avs2DVD thread which the developer monitors:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread?highlight=avs2dvd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think MultiAVCHD can also do it - but as I've never tried it, I can't say how well it works. Or if it'll generate any sort of menu for an array of clips.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Will importing the video clips into an editing program like Video Studio Pro and then outputting in NTSC do the trick?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by D.V. Dee View Post
    Will importing the video clips into an editing program like Video Studio Pro and then outputting in NTSC do the trick?
    If it can handle your source.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Video Studio Pro has an Import Digital Media function, importing from hard drive option; my 1080/60p footage is currently held in Picasa on a hard drive....
    Quote Quote  
  14. I know Video Studio has the ability to import videos. That doesn't mean it properly supports the files from your camcorder. You'll have to try it. Isn't there a free trial?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I just got VS Pro X5 and some initial web searches indicate it can import 1080/60p--which the X4 version could not....

And Thanks for your prompt feedback, all!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by D.V. Dee View Post
    I just got VS Pro X5 and some initial web searches indicate it can import 1080/60p--which the X4 version could not....
    That still doesn't mean it will import your videos.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I was able to import 1080/60p video clips from a hard drive into VS Pro X5 OK....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Good. Have you tried making a DVD yet?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I'll be tackling that tomorrow, Thanks....
    Quote Quote