VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you upgrading to windows 8?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have to since i do computer service calls.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not. I bought a Windows 7 Home Premium retail license for my next desktop build when it was on sale for $150. The improved security features offered by Windows 8 are the only reason why my answer is "absolutely not upgrading".

I did try the Windows 8 customer preview, and was not pleased with the user interface. I find the new Start screen annoying to use. After a couple of days, I installed Start8 to have a Start button and start menu available on the desktop. I also did not like all the Windows 8 apps that only run in full screen or half screen, and automatically return you to the Start screen when closed. I would only want Windows 8 for a tablet or HTPC where the features I dislike for desktop use would be advantageous.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I will be upgrading to Windows 8 since I have to provide some support for it over at MyCE. I tried out the RTM version and found I am not at all fond of the Start window and the apps that run there. I'll be staying in the desktop using Classic Shell for the most part.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm gonna have to upgrade all my other pc's to W7 since XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft beginning June 2013. Gonna have to wait and see the W8 reviews and how peeps like it or not. I use W7 on only one pc at the moment!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i voted no.

i use xp home/pro, and also just upgraded to a new laptop with win7hp and i don't even like that. why would i want this giant tablet on my home pc as my new os ? this move to win8 (imho) will kill this version and ms will have to make a quick recovery from or else. yeah, they will loose money in this path. what a waist of time trying to fit in with all the tablet-hupplas of this era.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No, staying with Windows7, it will be good for a long time yet. What I've read about W8 definitely deters me.

@ vhelp: I predict W7 will grow on you. It took me a couple weeks to get used to it, now I wouldn't go back to XP.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I really liked Windows 7 right from the start, but Windows 8 just feels wrong.

I think part of the issue for me is that even though I have an iPad and a laptop, I prefer to use a desktop computer for every reason but the convenience of being mobile. I want my 'desktop OS' to take advantage of the fact that I have a full sized keyboard, mouse, and lots of screen real-estate, not an OS that is optimized for use on a tablet computer. I guess I can't blame Microsoft for their practicality -- they sees desktop sales falling, and laptop, netbook, and tablet sales doing well, so they might as well try and capture that market. I'm not interested though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    No way. I'm quite satisfied with XP Pro and with Vista Ultimate so far.

IF/WHEN I upgrade, I'll go to Windoze 7 --- with the help from Classic Shell and a 3rd-party file manager, it becomes somewhat usable, at least.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No! I don't want a host of new problems

rcubed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    I'm gonna have to upgrade all my other pc's to W7 since XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft beginning June 2013. Gonna have to wait and see the W8 reviews and how peeps like it or not. I use W7 on only one pc at the moment!
    I thought xp was going to be supported until sometime in 2014? Or did that get changed again?

Anyway I am upgrading but I am only upgrading my vista pc to win 7 with the "downgrade" option the win 8 pro deal will make available.

I am debating about upgrading the xp machine. Yes upgrading it to win 7 as well will make it useable for years to come.

However I think I might leave it as xp to use it as an excuse to eventually get a new computer that I've been wanting but haven't committed to yet.

But no to win 8 for now. I'd only buy it in the immediate future if I were in a position to buy a new computer and it came with it. However if there was an immediate downgrade option upon purchasing I might just go with 7 on that. But again that is a hypothetical for now so its still no to win 8 for now.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    I thought xp was going to be supported until sometime in 2014? Or did that get changed again?
    Well that must have changed in the last few months because now I see Microsoft ending support in August of 2014. WTH! they keep changing the dates. The IT guys at work told me they have to switch all the government computers in our dept. next year to W7 before the support ends. Go figure!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly why does Microsoft support matter on XP?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since I haven't had any problems moving my original XP install [over 10 years old] to new computers, Ill just stick with XP.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  15. Nope. Windows 7 will probably be it for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm considering moving to XP from 2K within the next year.

Mainly because this year Microsoft took 2K support out of their compilers, so just about al the software written now is only XP or later.

For 95% of apps I'm fine with the version I have, some I use regularly go back to the 80s, but a few -- like browsers and plugins -- have to be up to date or they are pretty useless.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I were doing tech support or otherwise needed it I'd do it. But no. I went to linux instead. I ain't going back, though I still have a small win7 partition, which is not used a hell of a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Exactly why does Microsoft support matter on XP?
    MS will no have any security updates for XP.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Keep in mind that Microsoft will be offering US$40 upgrades to Win8 Pro:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258674/windows_8_upgrade_offer_40_even_if_upgrading_from_win_xp.html

The rumor is this upgrade can be used to upgrade older systems to Win7 too. Yes, that's Win7, not a typo:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6065/windows-8-upgrade-will-cost-just-3999

I have several computers so I'll probably upgrade one to Win8. Just so I can support friends and family who use it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Nope, I just bought a 7 desktop a few months ago and I'm happy with it. 7 will be supported until 2020 so no need to upgrade soon. I have an old XP laptop that can't be upgraded so I will use it for legacy software and hardware, I have everything backed up to disc in case it gets mucked up. As long as you use Chrome, update your AV and lock down the firewall you should be fine with XP after 2014.
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 24th Sep 2012 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm really happy with Windows 7, and I am not eager to go to W8. If I upgrade, I usually wait 6 months to a year after the first service pack is released.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Will Win8 even recognize my favorite Via Eden system (600 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB PATA drive)? I will have to try. If it doesn't work, then back to XP Pro, which does. Meanwhile, my "work" computer will continue with Win7.
    Quote Quote  
    • Nope,gonna stay with windows 2000
    • Nope,staying with winxp
    • Nope,staying with windows 7
    I won't be upgrading any of my computers. All are operating the way I want them to for the applications I'm running them for. If and when I go to a new computer, I'll have to make the decision then, but I don't currently have plans for a new computer.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Man!!
    And I thought I was late to the party!!!!!!

It took me forever to upgrade from XP to Vista!!
    And then it took me a couple of years to upgrade to W7!!

And I am sure it will be a year or 2 before upgrading to W8, and that only if I really have a need to or something make me, like new hardware, software, etc., or it becomes stable and most of the bugs are worked out, but we will have to see.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    No way. I'm quite satisfied with XP Pro and with Vista Ultimate so far.

Okay, I must admit, even to this day I love XP, I still have an older single core PC with XP on it for obscure task's and I run an XP virtual machine on my main W7 system once in a great while for a few obscure things.

But Vista has to be the #1 POS OS, at least in the top 2, but I think #1 is pretty solid!!
    LOL!!
    Although 98SE and I think another variation of 98 was pretty bad, if my aged memory serves me correctly.......
    LMAO!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Although 98SE and I think another variation of 98 was pretty bad, if my aged memory serves me correctly.......
    LMAO!!!
    No, 98SE was the best 9x. "ME" was the crap one.

There is an active community supporting and modding older version of Windows; for their lower hardware demands and just because they can.

See http://www.msfn.org/board/

Also lots of mods for new versions of Windows.
    (And all legal, so don't complain about warez links.)
    Quote Quote  
  25. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @Noahtuck:

[ Vista with SP2 ] + some "improvements" + 2 spoonfuls of glorification = Windows 7

Oh yes, Windows 7 can boot faster than Windows Vista, but not before I run a general clean-up on the stupid defaults of the Task Scheduler.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 26th Sep 2012 at 20:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eh. I'm having no problems with the two Vista systems I have, really. As for Vista being the 'worst' OS... I don't know about that. I'd say WinME certainly didn't make itself look all that great, to me - it's the only OS I've ever seen 'intentionally' ruin itself while I watched.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Before I settled on Windows 7, I gave Vista a 30-day trial.

Prior to the first service pack, it was pretty bad. Unresponsive. However, what a difference after applying the first service pack! I can't think of another Windows service pack that ever made such a dramatic difference. Nothing wrong with Vista SP2.

But it seems the poor first impression of Vista stuck with it.

Nevertheless, I decided to go with Windows 7 and haven't regretted it.

I question the wisdom of calling this new OS Windows 8; from what members are saying about it, it seems that it should be clearly differentiated from desktop operating systems. Or it should be easier to set it up so it's more like Seven, for desktop users.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Vista SP2.
    I prefer it to my Windows 7 and XP machines. It's what I use on my HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had used winme on a spare computer that has long since met its maker in the great beyond.

It was rough. The only thing I liked about it was the system restore feature. THough it never really does what you need in a true emergency (now I make backups relatively regularly so I should be good).

I liked 98 though the particular pc i had it on needed a clean install at least once a year it seemed.

I do like XP just for familiarity sake. I know where everything is. I have it on my single core desktop that i use for surfing and picture printing (its in the room that has the printer in it ).

I have vista on my dual core pc. I like it more or less. However once everything is laid out and explained step by step for sure I'll be doing the 40.00 upgrade/downgrade deal with win 8 pro to get win 7 on it.

Vista is ok except for the uac control thing. If thats what its called I think. A little overprotective of itself. I suppose there is a way to totally disable it (I think I did but norton kept screaming at me so I put it back on if I remembered right).

But I will go to 7 just to bump out my useful life on that dual core.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote